Canvas Thread

Harpo Marx

whenever i make my millions i will....

contract joker for the living room, all the walls, the ceiling and hanging works.

bua for the recording studio.

felon for the kitchen(i want little felon characters poping out of the oven and the cabniets, fridge and shit)

bedroom is undecided, i want something sexy but subtle, any sugestions?

cope, typoe and emoh for the game room

chris villa to do little birds and random characters going through the hallways in the direction of the patio/garden area where there will be a mural and a bunch of hidden little peices and caracters that you have to look for.

thats my fantasy for the day.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by PAID:one

I'm sure most writers hold the opinion that 'real' graffiti is illegal.

I would say that the value of a graffiti canvas holds to how much 'real' graffiti the artist does beyond the asthetic quality of the canvas. But that's just me.

Some oil paintings by my dude MOE. Not graf inspired although we got stacks of graf canvases too.

The most important thing as an artist of any sort is to be productive. For sale or not for sale. Do it cause you love it.

yea man i tottaly agree...by the way DOPE!

*Please don't repost images in the same thread*

Much better answers. Thanks for taking the time to give some insight. I appreciate it. Please note that I wasn't picking on any one person or any one canvas. I honestly wanted to see what some of the reasons are we do canvases the way we do. So again, thanks.

And Seeking... I'd love to show some of my new work but I'm too lazy to flick it. When I get back from Europe I'll share.

my two cents

let me preface my opinion with the fact that i rarely get up, so if that makes my opinion invalid...meh..to each his own i guess.

i prefer graffiti on a wall or in its natural environment so to say. something about graff on a canvas on a canvas doesnt rub me the right way. Wildstyle burners, a zone piece for example seem out of place on a canvas.

I think the part that throws me off the most is the demensions of a canvas. When i look at a piece on a wall i tend to look at it from different distances up close and far away. I like breaking a piece down letter for letter, foreground to background. Pieces on a canvas tend to seem confined. I tend to just glance at the piece rather than break it down, because a scaled down piece is all there in front of you making it easier to just give it a quick look rather than appreciate it.

Beyond that pieces on a canvas regardless of the background used, simply seem out of place. They look like a closeup cartoon of a person on a blank sheet of paper, completely out of context. i like seeing pieces on a wall or train, because in a way "the scenery" seems to give it a setting and background. in other words graffiti seems out of context when not on a wall train etc.

That being said, certain styles the more abstract styles, lend themselves to canvas easier than others probably because the pieces themselves tend to be more about composition rather than just letters.

i remember in one of those big old graffiti books somebody says (something like) "why jerk off into a tissue when you can go out and fuck the real bitch?" i think he was referring to dudes who only draw in blackbooks and dont get up on walls, but to me the same rule applies to canvas. graffiti inspired canvas=jerking off, doing actual graffiti=fucking the bitch. i try to keep graffiti separate from the other types of art i do. i paint and tattoo, but i keep the graffiti influence minimal. i will gladly do a graf tattoo if asked but i don't really push for it. you have to consider the limitations of the media you're working in and act accordingly. i think the best art is when you do something that is your own, but it still adheres to traditions created by the trial and error of people who practiced your art before you. so in the short history of graffiti, the tradition is that it's letters on a wall or train. i feel writers should stick to that, and save the canvas for other things they want to express.

Originally posted by garcia_vega

i remember in one of those big old graffiti books somebody says (something like) "why jerk off into a tissue when you can go out and fuck the real bitch?" i think he was referring to dudes who only draw in blackbooks and dont get up on walls, but to me the same rule applies to canvas. graffiti inspired canvas=jerking off, doing actual graffiti=fucking the bitch. i try to keep graffiti separate from the other types of art i do. i paint and tattoo, but i keep the graffiti influence minimal. i will gladly do a graf tattoo if asked but i don't really push for it. you have to consider the limitations of the media you're working in and act accordingly. i think the best art is when you do something that is your own, but it still adheres to traditions created by the trial and error of people who practiced your art before you. so in the short history of graffiti, the tradition is that it's letters on a wall or train. i feel writers should stick to that, and save the canvas for other things they want to express.

A graffiti inspired canvas to me is not "masturbation". I do not create canvas after canvas nor do I bomb 5 spots a night on a weekly basis, but @ times I do paint and bomb within a gap of small hours. Boldy you stated that to do graffiti on cavases is to "jerk off" and to paint is to reach "ultimate climax". I have done both and DO NOT agree with you.

Graffiti on canvases IS A HUGE PROGRESSION for graffiti because this practice began WITHIN THE LAST 30 YEARS OR SO. We are still touching a form which is in its infantile stages and if graffiti writers were to adhere to the past.... THIS FUCKING THREAD WOULD BE NON-EXISTENT.. and 12 oz for that matter

To acknowledge the limitations of any medium and ACT accordingly is to reject your ancestors and the push for mental creativeness, whether it falls in literature, art, science, etc. etc, my stance here is, one leaves no room for innovation and the extension of creativity of all "homo sapiens". If you are acting accordingly you leave no room for discovery but simply limit yourself and prmote uniformity. I am no great artist, but the last thing I do is separate what I have learned in any field, I make a conscience effort to implement all that my psyche generates in to sex, painting, and learning, etc. etc.. The ability to connect what you are told has no connection is to ACT ACCORDING-LEE. If traditions were solely followed.... we would have no..... FAT CAP, GERMAN OUTLINE, MONTANA, none of this would have even been created.

THE LAST THING ONE SHOULD DO IS STICK TO ONE THING. Letters on canvases seem fun but why be monotnous and do that @ ALL TIMES.

fuck adhering to the the full extent...

read jokers reply on canvases with pure letters.

YOU REFFERING TO SEX AS FUCKING REVEALS A LOT ABOUT YOUR PSYCHE. that is another discussion

stuff..

I see some of your points but dont necessarily agree with all. Letters are all that I do..I have no interest in any other type of "art" in fact I view graff as more af a learned "skill" than an art. Canvas is not all that important to me, just something to pass the time when chilling with friends and drinking a cold one. It also gets rid of the dozens of leftover cans from doing real pieces. Nothing serious like doing a wall or a train...If someone likes one and happens to buy it, thats an added bonus and the money will be put to good use supporting my graffiti habit (i.e. buying euro paint). Some of you seem to view Canvas as some sacred surface that is too good for Letters/pieces. To me its nothing more than another blackbook page to play around and experiment with..I think some of you are trying to analyze this shit way too much chill and enjoy the flicks...post something..

Re: stuff..

Originally posted by sarifs&clips

I see some of your points but dont necessarily agree with all. Letters are all that I do..I have no interest in any other type of "art" in fact I view graff as more af a learned "skill" than an art. Canvas is not all that important to me, just something to pass the time when chilling with friends and drinking a cold one. It also gets rid of the dozens of leftover cans from doing real pieces. Nothing serious like doing a wall or a train...If someone likes one and happens to buy it, thats an added bonus and the money will be put to good use supporting my graffiti habit (i.e. buying euro paint). Some of you seem to view Canvas as some sacred surface that is too good for Letters/pieces. To me its nothing more than another blackbook page to play around and experiment with..

I can agree with you but limitations are a bitch. Art itself is a learned skill, that is universal.

letters can broken down so far and letters after letters bore me. And abstract paintings after abstract paintings bore me as well.

Re: ...

Originally posted by sarifs&clips

Maybe the work wasnt meant to amuse you. If you are'nt impressed by well executed wildstyle pieces/letters, then perhaps you should look to another artform that could possibly exite you..

I am always stimulated by letters and art in general. When you typed well executed wild style you were obviously reffering to yourself, which shows a lot of ego.= impression and good execution

IN SHORT BOTH YOU AND EYE KNOW THAT YOUR LAST REPLY HAD A LOT OF YOUR WORKS WEIGHT INVOLVED.

yes im being redundant..

I do not believe art is created solely for me.

and I rather be stimulated

than impressed

Originally posted by Joker

Okay, but technically you're not really answering the question.

What about photographs? This is a way of immortalizing any wall or freight. Want it bigger than 5x7?... take that shit to Kinkos and blow it up on canvas for a fairly decent fee, wrap it around some stretcher bars and wa-lah... the same thing you painted on a wall, on canvas.

no..........

i was sayin why " I " paint canvas, and no mabey i wasnt answering ya question....dont even know wat ya question was.....this is ART ...photography is a lil different........jus doin my thing cos i loves it.....

YOU REFFERING TO SEX AS FUCKING REVEALS A LOT ABOUT YOUR PSYCHE. that is another discussion [/b]

i quoted that from somewhere else. i don't normally refer to sex as "fucking"---i was just relating an idea i'd heard somewhere else. but i guess you chose not to pay attention to that.

let me try to explain this a different way. i'm going to make a comparison to japanese tattooing, which i consider to be one of the highest artforms in human history. traditional japanese tattooing was done completely with hand tools. once they came into contact with tattooers from the west, they started using machines for the linework, but continued to shade by hand. bloodborne diseases also required them to change certain working methods for safety. but the basic imagery (water, windbars, tigers, bhuddist dieties, dragons etc..) always stays the same. the tattoo machine simply helped them to apply their work more precisely, but that isn't breaking the aesthetic traditions. so that's how i view things like german caps and euro paint in graffiti. big deal--you don't have to mix colors and you can make skinny lines...did that revolutionize the style of graf? no. it just makes the application of it easier. using new and better tools doesn't necessarily break tradition, but using a set of rules that works in one medium and trying to apply it to another one is breaking tradition, and often it doesn't work. i'm not saying it never works, but it usually doesn't. if you get the same satisfaction painting a canvas that you do painting a train than more power to you, but i certainly don't. graf on canvas just seems static and dead to me. no offense, just my opinion.

Good discussion!!!

This is a debate, in essence, that has been going on since the pioneers started doing gallery work.

You all have been making very valid points on your perspectives.

I will throw mine in now too.

ART IS SUBJECTIVE and held in the mind of the viewer as much as the mind of the creator.

As individuals we all have our own style (or are searching for it in some cases), preferences, and views of the world. Which leads each of us to the history of what we have seen out there in the world. Those things without question are different for each person, so their view on this debate will be impacted by these factors.

I think as a way to exercise your mind it’s nice to throw a piece on canvas, however I would agree it’s not the best use of a canvas. As most anyone who writes will do this, and they all kind of look similar (even if not exact).

It would be up to the individual to step up to the plate and make a unique piece of art that either incorporates this aspect or not. If you chose to create work like this or push harder and do something a bit more original you are still creating and that is both valid and healthy. I just wouldn't expect this to get you written into the history books. It will take a lot of time invested into doing work in a way or with a method no one has used in the past if you want to be in the books.

I had not put letters on a canvas in this way until very recently; I tried to keep my fine art separate from my graffiti. As of late I came to the conclusion life is life & art is art. I can do whatever the fuck I want and call it art, which means shit when someone else comes upon it and looks at it. They will come to their own conclusions and those may or may not be the same as mine. Either way I feel good after releasing the artistic energy and if someone else likes the looks cool.

I think that all makes sense; I had to type it in chunks...

Guest Propaganda

BUMP THAT!

Originally posted by ERIZENO

This is a debate, in essence, that has been going on since the pioneers started doing gallery work.

You all have been making very valid points on your perspectives.

I will throw mine in now too.

ART IS SUBJECTIVE and held in the mind of the viewer as much as the mind of the creator.

As individuals we all have our own style (or are searching for it in some cases), preferences, and views of the world. Which leads each of us to the history of what we have seen out there in the world. Those things without question are different for each person, so their view on this debate will be impacted by these factors.

I think as a way to exercise your mind it’s nice to throw a piece on canvas, however I would agree it’s not the best use of a canvas. As most anyone who writes will do this, and they all kind of look similar (even if not exact).

It would be up to the individual to step up to the plate and make a unique piece of art that either incorporates this aspect or not. If you chose to create work like this or push harder and do something a bit more original you are still creating and that is both valid and healthy. I just wouldn't expect this to get you written into the history books. It will take a lot of time invested into doing work in a way or with a method no one has used in the past if you want to be in the books.

I had not put letters on a canvas in this way until very recently; I tried to keep my fine art separate from my graffiti. As of late I came to the conclusion life is life & art is art. I can do whatever the fuck I want and call it art, which means shit when someone else comes upon it and looks at it. They will come to their own conclusions and those may or may not be the same as mine. Either way I feel good after releasing the artistic energy and if someone else likes the looks cool.

I think that all makes sense; I had to type it in chunks...

Life is art. (Too me). Depends on the person and their ego. I live and breathe art. How bout you all?

Same Loser You Didn't Expect

Aerosol Crime Expressionist

Originally posted by SeYnO9

I DISAGREE... LIFE IS ART AND ART IS LIFE

you are your art.

The "you" part reffers to you and your life, hence this is an incorporation which has and will forever be infinite.

Well no one will ever agree 100% on everything. No big deal there.

I think I put those too close to one another ... the life is life is one thought and art is art is another ...

over the past 3/4 years I have done some deep rearranging of my views of the world and the importance of life, this has impacted my art to a great degree.

Art is not important in the long run of my spirit, in this life at this time it is one of the top 2 most important things in my life, the other being a split deal of the self and my relationship with my girl.

My art as of late has been best when I dont try to create anything and almost let my subcontious move the pen/brush. When I force myself to want a specific aesthetic I get frustrated and the quality goes to shit.

So to me art and life are separate ... life is life and shit just happens when you need to learn from it.

Art is art and when I need to get shit off my chest this is the best way to release that energy.

I think I got the concept across ... if not sorry cuz this thread is too dope to fill with all this text.

you know i can definitely understand serif & clips points ,

i dont see paintings that have graff as limting at all , there are so many avenues you can venture with letters alone,,then color added.

i dont see how it is limted if people who do letters primarily like zone, ces and who ever else if they apply the same principal thoughts of balance, design, color and composition. As a matter a fact i have a great deal of respect for writers that focus on the letters on a canvas.

My last thought is that i dont always agree with pushing your self ( the limits ), it is good to a certain point, some of the best works i have seen ,graff or just fine that looks like they are pushing the limits came as a natural timely progression.

I haven't looked in here in a while but reading this discussion makes me feel like I've been a little over-critical in my view of conventional graf on canvases. Everyone doesn't have to have the same goals within art or definitions of it.

A personal goal of mine is to connect with an energy, idea or feeling within myself and give it as "true" a visual rendering as I can. I try to make my work speak to as broad an audience as possible by attempting to capture a spirit within it that feels honest, because it seems to me that there's too many fronts that people put on in this world and that people might benefit from seeing someone expressing a little compassion, vulnerability, understanding, etc., and that those viewers may possibly carry that warmth with them and somehow pass it on.

I've always worked towards making the fingerprint on my work be very recognizable as my own while allowing myself to be influenced by other art and whatever else that I relate to.

Yeah, I grew up as a cocky little prick feeding my ego with that "I'm fresh and those other cats are wack" attitude, but that reveals my childish need to latch on to something that I felt raised my status in this life more than it reveals any desire to inspire and enlighten, which is what I'd much rather be doing with my art.

The more I live the more I'm trying to lift myself out of that impulse to dis for the sake of my ego.

That gets back to my harsh criticism of graf.

When I first started writing, graf was in a super early stage, so it was fresh and young with what I felt was a really raw creative spirit. Now I see it more along the lines of sign-painting and calligraphy; traditional artforms that have some room for self-expression and innovation but are more based in conventions and the development of craft. Of course there are exceptions to this and will always be.

There's all kinds of different art that I find appealing for different reasons. I personally am not really moved by standard graf pieces as gallery art, just because it seems like if you're gonna go so far as to have people go see your stuff at a gallery you should be stepping it up a notch. That's only my opinion though. I can see why it might be satisfying for someone to produce a nice looking "graf style piece" (only in quotes because I don't think of it as graffiti unless it's illegal) on a canvas, but I'd prefer to see it on a jean-jacket I think. That's only cuz I'm an old-school real motherfucker.

I'm playin', but anyway...I hold in higher regard the adventurers and super soul troopers of the art world, yet can totally appreciate the well crafted works of more traditional folks. There's plenty of super original stuff that doesn't do anything for me either.

I just think it's important to have a genuine respect for each other as humans and not use art or anything else as something in which to present yourself on a pedestal. Artists are big ass nerds regardless of how well they do it. If your heart's in it and it's working for you without hurting anyone, dope.

Haven't contributed in a while either so here's a couple pieces. The first one included just cuz it's the closest I've done to regular graf on canvas and I think it's pretty funny. Second's my most recent.

http://chrissilva.com/studio5/SenorAmorRides.jpg'>

http://chrissilva.com/studio5/RememberToBreathe.jpg'>

aint been on here in awhile i see some issue's have been raised about graff on cavases and reasons for doing so and what not.since art is subjective and personal to the creator do whatever you feel thats the freedom of it all right?as long as your intentions are pure and you truly believe in what your doing then its all good.you wont please everyone but then again it shouldnt really be for anyone other then yourself.as for graff on canvas i think its good but it depends on how you go about doing it ,a little paintmarker peice on a 16x20 canvas is pretty pointless if you wanna do a couple for you or your friends ok but its not something to get serious about i think .graff is supposed to be large its supposed to catch your eye grab your attention even if your not looking at it .if you do it on a big canvas that would work.thats how i look at it anyway