Canvas Thread

Harpo Marx

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by laybeuh

anyone want to buy it? probably not, if you do email me. email me with a price we'll discuss something if anyone is even interested..

no offense, but whats up with people in here trying to sell some mediocre canvases? absolutely nothing against you personally, but if i posted that, would you want to dig into your bank account and shell out your hard earned money for it? i sure as hell wouldnt. i even read some post where someone was posting one of their first canvases and talking about selling it?! i know value is relative to the viewer, but c'mon. 'selling' art is for people that have put in time and built a name for themselves, not a kid who gets a canvas a couple cans of spray paint, and does some generic futura background.

this isn't a personal attack on you laybeuh, although i'll understand if you take it that way, i'm just saying...cats need to put more effort into making art for arts sake, and less interest in even considering making money off it. i know you weren't really trying to push the selling angle too hard, and i had considered posting this same reply the other day, but held off, today i was just extra bored or something.

tease,

for the record, i dont really care for your 'art' a ton, but i respect the fact that your trying. theres alot of honesty in it, which is nice.

(now don't say all i do is pick on you. ;) )

Originally posted by seeking

no offense, but whats up with people in here trying to sell some mediocre canvases? absolutely nothing against you personally, but if i posted that, would you want to dig into your bank account and shell out your hard earned money for it? i sure as hell wouldnt. i even read some post where someone was posting one of their first canvases and talking about selling it?! i know value is relative to the viewer, but c'mon. 'selling' art is for people that have put in time and built a name for themselves, not a kid who gets a canvas a couple cans of spray paint, and does some generic futura background.

this isn't a personal attack on you laybeuh, although i'll understand if you take it that way, i'm just saying...cats need to put more effort into making art for arts sake, and less interest in even considering making money off it. i know you weren't really trying to push the selling angle too hard, and i had considered posting this same reply the other day, but held off, today i was just extra bored or something.

yeah i dont usualy do graffiti canvases this is the only really graffiti canvas ive done.. its trendy and i dont even really call it art, it didnt take hardly any time even. i just want money so i offered to sell it. yeah i take it personally but whatever i wont lose sleep over, just confidence ;o) ha..

maybe ill come back with something 'artistic' with a few hours put into maybe youll have something better to say about it to help the tears stop flooding my face

haha. i wasn't trying to insult you, just pointing out that i think sometimes kids get a head of themselves, thats all. worry about making dope paintings, not selling them. money is like water, it comes and goes, but integrity and self respect are with you forever, ya know?

thank's for taking it well.

Guest thedillz

If anyone remembers me posting my stuff a while ago, I'm having a gallery show this month in Manhattan. The opening is on Thursday, June 17 from 5pm - 9pm (may run later). If you're in the are please stop by.

http://genji.image.pbase.com/u46/clonernc/upload/29690977.rwkpainting.jpg'>

Manhattan, NY: June 17 2004

Opening Reception: June 17, 2004 5-9 pm

@ BUILT

22 Howard Street

New York, NY 10013

(Between Crosby and Lafayette)

212 226 1466

Email: clonernc@hotmail.com

Phone: 914 469 7019

Originally posted by seeking

haha. i wasn't trying to insult you, just pointing out that i think sometimes kids get a head of themselves, thats all. worry about making dope paintings, not selling them. money is like water, it comes and goes, but integrity and self respect are with you forever, ya know?

thank's for taking it well.

well im not getting ahead of myself.. i dont usually come on here and post anything at all.. but i just want to get rid of it.. i knwo its not artistic, and it took no talent... wow i know a little paint can trick, it doesnt mean i know im cool or that im good..maybe youre getting ahead of yourself as far as opening your mouth goes? seriously now, i didnt take it wrong but it did lower my confidence which im cool with but still, you see my intentions as something they're not..

as "artists," we have to be able to take criticism. I think a little humble pie never hurt anyone. I dont think seeking' intentions were to lower your self confidence. I see it as a stepping stone. I feel like a lot of valid points were made from both sides of the camp. I mean why do you think guys like joker, totem, msk can have an "art" show? They have a name...they have a solid portfolio of work that other people took notice of through flicks and zines. I mean you should be proud of whatever you put time into, but if you're doing it just to get "rid of it," how much artistic integrity and thought could you have put into it? Why not just paint over it and create something you wouldn't want to get rid of? Just two cents...quick random thoughts...I know its none of my bizness. peace.

...and right about now, spraying a little dab of purple on a black canvas with some green way-too-ahead-of-you-yet-just-like-everyone-else's-attempts letters doesn't cut it in the art world. Agreed, people like totem and joker are dope artists and do more than just a flat wildstyle piece on an awkward background. Who am I to demand anything, but you guys need to try something original, or at least make your canvases different than your blackbooks. You're allowed to do more to a canvas than have your paint markered piece ride the bottom.

and on the integrity issue, i hear you. but if i can make a living selling art then i'm going to do it. like picasso said, why have something else there as your priority so yo ucan 'fall back' on your art? if you have that much integrity, why would you live by any means other than what you love?