Canvas Thread

Harpo Marx

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Coffie... Thanks for the comment. You're definitely entitled to your own opinion, I would never argue back about that. However, I think your suggections fall into the catagory of "Over done". Chris Yormick has been using characters, numbers and letters over color blocks for years. Of course, his color blocks are inspired by buff marks on walls... not mathmatically angular ones such as I do. Even still, adding those suggestions of yours would only make the pieces similar to a million other pieces out there. I'm quite certain that even mine aren't that original, but I'd like to think that they are. At least, I've never seen anyone do something similar.

Guest thedillz

For Joker – Your work, both graff and fine art is very inspiring. I’ve been a huge fan of

your stuff since the early 90’s. I look forward to seeing more of it in the future.

Guest thedillz

It's taken me years to get portraits down pat. It takes me alot of time, especially the pointillism. They don't all come out this well. You're seeing the good ones. lol

Joker, the first and the yellow/white/pink one, are incredible. The others are also wonderful, but those two really speak volumes to me.

Medic, I especially dig the second of the two. The way the smaller character in the lower corner is portreyed is captivating. The pinks and truqiose blues are a nice combination. To top it all off the 7/10 intrigues me.

thedillz, wow those portraits are nice. the first is my favorite, can't explain why.

Tardo and The Medic... sorry to lump you two together - Very nice canvases!

The Dillz... Thanks for the kind words, very appreciated. The portraits you posted... WOW! Nameless people or friends? All in a row like that speaks volumes. Very cool indeed!

Bruce... thanks for the comment!!

Guest thedillz

Joker - i appreciate your comments. It means alot. The portraits are random people who's photos i find. Mainly from those sit-down photo booths. That's actually the concept that I am working with.

Guest imported_sofarok

This isn’t meant as a judgment or criticism by any means just a question….

Im interested to know whether you guys are producing this work from a ‘fine art’ stand point, i.e. in a conceptual manner with specific ideas driving your work or just to create ‘nice’ images…or both I guess…some peoples work seems to easily fall in to the glorified black book category others, joker for instance seem to have a ‘bit more going on’…anyone care to elaborate on where there art work comes from?…

Sofa, I'd say that anytime i do a canvas it's way more than graffiti. I'd hate to be called a graffiti writer and theres where my passion ends, that'd be a very claustrophobic way to go about the rest of your life. I love to push it where ever it wants to go, whether it's your average "weekend vandlism", or a well though out conceptual piece of fine art.

The world is yours, don't let any one tell you different.

Guest thedillz

Sofarok …that’s a good question. If you were referring to my stuff, I had mentioned that I have been working with the concept of the strip photos I find at random, whether it be on the net or in person. I feel that it’s important in my work to make the images realistic in order to capture the expression on the face of the subject. I hope that the faces of my subjects give all the information needed. Any use of tags or writing in my work is to simply reinforce that my subject is in a photo booth… where I have found writing of all types.

Joker,

Those are really nice. Im not going to delve too deep into reading them, but the minimalist approach that you use always produces some incredible stuff, from letters to these. Good stuff. Always an inspiration.

Themedic,

Awesome. More words would drown out my appreciation.

Thedillz,

Those blew me away. While not taking away from your work, I had a show come through USF while I was there, a brazilian screen print artist was doing prints with all kinds of different mediums. One installation was a bunch of round stainless steel plates (like a burner cover for a stove) onto which he used grease to silk screen a bunch of faces of missing Brazilian children. You couldnt see the faces until you went up and breathed on the plates, which caused the moisture to adhere to the un-greased portion, showing the faces for a few seconds until it dissipated. To sum it up, I havent seen anybody utilize the random photograph idea nearly as well as that guy, until your pieces here. Keep it up man, you have something there.