Canvas Thread

Harpo Marx

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

wow if only it were always that easy.

When you work in the 'round' there is a whole 'nother (as joker would say) series of concerns to take into mind. Right now you have a 3 dimensional object, i assume youve painted it all the way around, only to slap a piece on one bit. So the focus of this object is now the peice and not the whole surface. I think if you did some more you might try doing your piece in a way that it wraps the can, and or breaks the edges (top and or bottom).

just a few thoughts.

Originally posted by infamouscraze@Apr 16 2005, 12:30 PM

i know dripps are played out and shit... but i tried doing them a different way on dis can and id love to know what cha'll think...

can.png

reg.png

I'm personally a big fan of how some of your outline comes off the can...

impessive..................... :haha: :haha: :haha:

I think that most everyone has missed a point that nobody has hit on yet.

Everyone is out for acceptance, everyone wants and audience and it feels good, a lot of this graffiti on canvas crap is just that, crap and that's not going to go nowhere (minus joker, but that's a completely different world then what most of this shit is) so painting a can and putting some letters on there isnt anything special, it's played and lame, now when someone puts art onto a canvas if they are only focused on the admiration from peers then what exactly is the point if it doesnt satisfy you? and the squiggling paint and putting paper on is and calling it abstract that what not, that's not abstract, most people should look at a canvas and think "does this mean anything to me" and when asked "does this mean anything to you" you should know exactly what it means, not just say...i did it in a minute.

In our modern time there is no more bestowed gifts from god like the masters of yesteryear, there is only a self induced motivating factor to reach far and beyond what is already placed before us by real artist , the rest ( most people in this thread) just see a sliver of hope in crappy work that they might get rich off of.

Originally posted by oneeightyone@Apr 16 2005, 03:30 PM

Everyone is out for acceptance, everyone wants and audience and it feels good,

you hit the nail on the head

this page is the most important pg i read in this thread

...now having nothing to do with this thread

i recently found my "art" becoming affected/infected from viewing some of the comments and artwork of others on here

i should avoid paper chase...except the bible

ecanvas.jpg

Well this one means something to me because its painted over a framed map that I stole from a school that I once attended.

About what the guy up there said how your paintings should mean something to you. Alot of people paint because it gets stuff off of thier mind however shitty the canvas may be it could mean alot to someone because of what was going through their thoughts at the time it was painted and it may remind them of how bad or nice their life was at that moment in time...

sorry about the funky angle its for minimal glare

Originally posted by oneeightyone@Apr 16 2005, 03:30 PM

Everyone is out for acceptance, everyone wants and audience and it feels good, a lot of this graffiti on canvas crap is just that, crap and that's not going to go nowhere (minus joker, but that's a completely different world then what most of this shit is) so painting a can and putting some letters on there isnt anything special, it's played and lame, now when someone puts art onto a canvas if they are only focused on the admiration from peers then what exactly is the point if it doesnt satisfy you?

your right... i was just trying to see how i could maybe improve this... it hasn't been completely done... i actually went back and painted over part of the and the g yesterday night... its only painted on one side and i went back and photoshoped the black so it would be in focus... i didn't really care about the back ground being in focus... i dont care about acceptance... i care about improvement... i care about evolving into a better writer.... this can is goin to my boy reg out in ohio... so i just wanted to see what you guys thought about what i had done and if you had any ways to improve it...

if you want to improve as a writer, i'd suggest you start by learning your history. if you don't even know who SEEN is, you're in poor, poor shape.

oneeightyone,

um, maybe i'm just dumb as a stump, but i have absolutely no idea what your overall point was. that people should stop worrying what people think? i've read your post 4 or 5 times now, and it still completely eludes me.

Originally posted by seeking@Apr 17 2005, 09:58 AM

if you want to improve as a writer, i'd suggest you start by learning your history. if you don't even know who SEEN is, you're in poor, poor shape.

oneeightyone,

um, maybe i'm just dumb as a stump, but i have absolutely no idea what your overall point was. that people should stop worrying what people think? i've read your post 4 or 5 times now, and it still completely eludes me.

ive learned alot about the history of writing... where it originated... who originally did it... and i know who "seen" is... just didn't know you were seen...

I havent posted anything in awhile, weather has been so nice i havent had the free time to work inside as much as i would like, the photo is kinda crappy, on that note im looking to get a new camra i have a 2.0 mp, im trying to upgrade to something a little higher 3-4, and dose good with color and bad lighting, if u know of anything good let me know, thanxs

gc15.jpg

Originally posted by decu goldyn1+Apr 16 2005, 07:29 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (decu goldyn1 - Apr 16 2005, 07:29 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-oneeightyone@Apr 16 2005, 03:30 PM

Everyone is out for acceptance, everyone wants and audience and it feels good,

you hit the nail on the head

this page is the most important pg i read in this thread

...now having nothing to do with this thread

i recently found my "art" becoming affected/infected from viewing some of the comments and artwork of others on here

i should avoid paper chase...except the bible

[/b]

I think criticism is one thing. You should be open to what others have to say... positive or negative. Taking both in stride and applying the criticism to your work is tricky. Obviously it's not working for you to get criticism on this board. And if that actually is the case... the yes, stop coming in here. (side note: this sounds negative but really it's not) find inspiration from within and from your own work. Your own studies. That's the only way you'll truly be happy with what you do. If someone can critique your work and you find their points to be valid, then apply them and see how they feel. If you're comfortable with it then cool. If not, fuck 'em. Go back to the drawing board and find another route to get a better result. Just don't give up on criticism because it doesn't work for you. Somewhere it does. It works for all of us. And we all seek it. It's deciding what to do with it that is what stumbles us.

Thanks for the interesting conversation gentlemen...

Abstract Expressionism evolved and ended in about 15 years. While the idea and approach could still be valid today, just duplicating a style without adding something to it or making it your own in some way is just a painting exercise.

I respect what the movement did, just as I respect Pop, Minimalism, Photorealism, Post-Modernism etc, but when the candle goes out on a movement, it can only be relit by taking it to the next level.

In my opinion, not many people are trying to do this. They just do what everyone else was doing, just a few decades later.

Art is a process, and you have to experiment to discover your own path. Sometimes it is learning from the past.

I hope to see a progression in some of the artists here, and wish them all the luck in there journey.

Originally posted by seeking@Apr 17 2005, 09:58 AM

oneeightyone,

I was just touching on how many "artist" dont know what art really is. That it's not just a quick scheme to get cash, in the time of the master painters they painted because they were trying to find a correlation with god and the world of men (some not all) and nowadays theres no real motivating factor behind art except that wall that we all try to get over, the only motivating factor is that spark inside us telling us to get better.