Canvas Thread

Harpo Marx

Originally posted by laybeuh

maybe youre getting ahead of yourself as far as opening your mouth goes? seriously now, i didnt take it wrong but it did lower my confidence which im cool with but still, you see my intentions as something they're not..

or maybe i'm right on the money and you just don't want to accept it.

i said several times i was not just talking about you, and that i had considered making the same comments before you even posted. if you want to take it personal though, feel free. also, if your confidence level can be that effected by one persons intelligent and respectfull criticism, then you obviously have no confidence in yourself, and that will always show through in your work (this applies to everyone). oppinions are everywhere and they're completely subjective. i'd rather look at 100 plain blank canvases, than one mona lisa, but that doesn't mean it's bad and the others are good. it's all personal preference.

seeks/the difference between a 5 year old, and a 'modern artist' that paints like a 5 year old, is intention and deliberate action.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by seeking

or maybe i'm right on the money and you just don't want to accept it.

i said several times i was not just talking about you, and that i had considered making the same comments before you even posted. if you want to take it personal though, feel free. also, if your confidence level can be that effected by one persons intelligent and respectfull criticism, then you obviously have no confidence in yourself, and that will always show through in your work (this applies to everyone). oppinions are everywhere and they're completely subjective. i'd rather look at 100 plain blank canvases, than one mona lisa, but that doesn't mean it's bad and the others are good. it's all personal preference.

seeks/the difference between a 5 year old, and a 'modern artist' that paints like a 5 year old, is intention and deliberate action.

maybe you picked me out of the bunch for a specific reason? it doesnt really matter.. its not that i dont want to accept anything, i just dont think you understand where im comming from.. maybe you wouldnt have said anyhting if i didnt mention selling it?? the only reason i mentioned that is because i dont know anyone in real life who would buy it, maybe because my shit isnt artistic.

you can also say some people who write graffiti on trains and walls and use stock tips and are real grungy are wack, but really they do it that way on purpose, just like your quote, but does that mean people who paint clean pieces are over rated and played out??.. im not even sure im making sense anymore..

my point is that i dont really care if this canvas is very artistic, ive painted other canvases and sold them to people who liked them and they were way more artistic than just a spray paint bakcground and some cheap piece with no fillin... maybe ill post some of my 'artistic' canvases next time i do one.. which im sure will still have spray paint incorporated somehow..

Originally posted by laybeuh

... some people who write graffiti on trains and walls and use stock tips and are real grungy are wack, but really they do it that way on purpose, just like your quote, but does that mean people who paint clean pieces are over rated and played out??...

Quite the opposite. Everyone and their fuckin' girlfriend, for the last couple of years has been on the "Stock tip or die" trend. Any other way is not "Real" graffiti. Whatever the fuck real graffiti is. Bunch of whinning piss bags with no soul as far as I'm concerned.

Off subject, kinda curious about something in regards to doing graffiti on canvas... why do most of you do a piece, as you would on a wall, on canvas? With so many avenues to venture down that you can't on a wall or train, why do the exact same thing on a canvas? Where's the adventure? The romanticism of creating something new? I'm not knocking what I've seen on this site because I like a good deal of what's posted... Especially the stuff Zone posts and the latest stuff that Nite Mares posted just about blew me away. I'm only curious as to why most of you don't push the envelope when it comes to canvas. No diss. No bad criticism. Just curiosity.

Originally posted by Joker

Quite the opposite. Everyone and their fuckin' girlfriend, for the last couple of years has been on the "Stock tip or die" trend. Any other way is not "Real" graffiti. Whatever the fuck real graffiti is. Bunch of whinning piss bags with no soul as far as I'm concerned.

Off subject, kinda curious about something in regards to doing graffiti on canvas... why do most of you do a piece, as you would on a wall, on canvas? With so many avenues to venture down that you can't on a wall or train, why do the exact same thing on a canvas? Where's the adventure? The romanticism of creating something new? I'm not knocking what I've seen on this site because I like a good deal of what's posted... Especially the stuff Zone posts and the latest stuff that Nite Mares posted just about blew me away. I'm only curious as to why most of you don't push the envelope when it comes to canvas. No diss. No bad criticism. Just curiosity.

I always thought the same when looking @ canvases done by writers.

im working on my first graffiti canavas... its coming along nicely i think.

i think the fun in it comes from making them friends, or other writers, and being able to trade them or sell them to one another.

its like a trading card or some shit in a way.

think about if picasso did graffiti, and did one of his pieces on canvas, you'd maybe want one right? so it would be dope if you could get your hands on it...

thats how i see it anyways.

Originally posted by T=E=A=S=E

i think the fun in it comes from making them friends, or other writers, and being able to trade them or sell them to one another.

its like a trading card or some shit in a way.

think about if picasso did graffiti, and did one of his pieces on canvas, you'd maybe want one right? so it would be dope if you could get your hands on it...

Interesting response, but doesn't really answer my question of why you would do the same thing on canvas as you would on a wall. Canvas is a whole different beast. Just like freights are different from walls are different from blackbooks. The idea behind each piece is the same but the technique and execution is what makes them all different. So why use the same techniques on canvas you use elswhere?

And I'm sorry, but "what if..." theories drive me crazy. Like that song "what if god was one of us..." No. No one should ever do the "what if" theory. You'll lose that part of your audience that actually thinks for themselves...

personally, i think most of the time when you take graff out of a 'graff environment', it looks out of place, childish and almost foolish. highly technical stuff like daim is an obvious exception, because it's eye-pleasing to even someone with no idea that it's graff. stuff like jokers work also is exempt because while there are letters, they're so far removed, and relying more heavily on weight and balance, than on trying to be cool letters.

basically, folks can do whatever they want, but graff on canvases is boring as hell to me. i like the idea of being able to share 'art' with friends, but i'd rather have something more personal than a regular piece done in miniature with markers.

really though, who cares. i painted some stuff last night. perhaps tonight i'll post pics.

or maybe i wont.

i plan to do more tonight as well.

(i'm a machine).

...Whatever the fuck real graffiti is.

I'm sure most writers hold the opinion that 'real' graffiti is illegal.

I would say that the value of a graffiti canvas holds to how much 'real' graffiti the artist does beyond the asthetic quality of the canvas. But that's just me.

Some oil paintings by my dude MOE. Not graf inspired although we got stacks of graf canvases too.

http://www.spaceflowers.com/dramasutra.jpg'>

http://www.spaceflowers.com/lostwoman.jpg'>

http://www.spaceflowers.com/shivasilat.jpg'>

The most important thing as an artist of any sort is to be productive. For sale or not for sale. Do it cause you love it.

Originally posted by PAID:one

I would say that the value of a graffiti canvas holds to how much 'real' graffiti the artist does beyond the asthetic quality of the canvas. But that's just me.

Good point. Though to save my own ass, I suppose, I think it's also safe to say that the artists history within writing could play a role in the value of the canvas piece as well.

The most important thing as an artist of any sort is to be productive. For sale or not for sale. Do it cause you love it.

Another good point. This is where kids should read into those three sentences and say a big Fuck You to anyone who gives them shit for doing whatever it is they're trying to do. If you love what you're doing, and can stand tall with it... then just do it. Screw Billy-Bob and his close minded critique. Believe in your work, follow your heart and never stop. Biting not included...

Originally posted by rmerone

i like painting canvas`s because most things i paint would be hard to hang on a wall,

graff is mainly short lived on most surfaces through..being buffed,damaged..or re painted so the canvas option has a longer life span....

Okay, but technically you're not really answering the question.

What about photographs? This is a way of immortalizing any wall or freight. Want it bigger than 5x7?... take that shit to Kinkos and blow it up on canvas for a fairly decent fee, wrap it around some stretcher bars and wa-lah... the same thing you painted on a wall, on canvas.

...I think it's also safe to say that the artists history within writing could play a role in the value of the canvas piece as well....

Exactly!

I had that in mind just after I posted.

I would also place that aspect above the aspect in my initial statement.

Originally posted by 972

...On another note, is there any way to contact you?....

'The Payed One' on AIM if you're talking to me bro. Rarely on it though.

hey joker, i found this:

http://img26.photobucket.com/albums/v78/trendsetter/slydeONE/0000000000_052.jpg'>

at a graffiti shop here.....good stuff. got any more? i want one.

i also saw this, but im thinking it wasnt you:

http://img26.photobucket.com/albums/v78/trendsetter/slydeONE/0000000000_046.jpg'>

it was in one of there books they had layin out. thought it was noteworthy.anyway. this is the only thread i know youll come back too, so excuse the post.thanks.later.

MLTf4nt0m... wow. I had totally forgot about that poster. It's a pretty old design that I did to promote 12oz. back in... '96, I think. There's a good chance he they still have some on hand. I signed and numbered 100 of them and then they had a bunch more. Email Raven and see what he's got on hand.

Thanks for sharing that memory!

And yea, that Joke piece is not me.

I hope to one day make it out that way. It's been a long while since I was there.

Originally posted by T=E=A=S=E

joker just likes to be difficult. haha.

who gives a fuck?

i mean, why ask why??

jk.

I guess, in a sense I am being difficult but I'm also one of those freaky technical and curious artists. I give a fuck. I like to know why people work a certain way. For no reason other than just knowing. It's like my own personal little interview with the writer.

I guess, in a sense I am being difficult but I'm also one of those freaky technical and curious artists. I give a fuck. I like to know why people work a certain way. For no reason other than just knowing. It's like my own personal little interview with the writer.

i hear you on that, im the same way (nosey/curious/etc)

but your question about "why do most of you do a piece, as you would on a wall, on canvas? With so many avenues to venture down that you can't on a wall or train, why do the exact same thing on a canvas? Where's the adventure? The romanticism of creating something new?"

i think the answer is quite simple.

a lot of people/artist/writers (especially in here, or some in here anyways) arent as "ground breaking" as you are. cant think outside of the box, or come up with super creative ways to do their "graffiti" type work on canvas. therefore, they do the pieces they would on walls or trains because thats what theyre comfortable / good with.

know what i mean?

Interesting..

The way I see it..

I hate seeing good writers get on canvas and then all of a sudden they think they are some type of "modern artist" When I look at Graffiti I want to see dope letters. In my opinion graff is strong enough to stand on its own on any surface. If I wanted to look at so called Modern art I'd buy a piece from a modern artist not a graff writer. Not to say that some writers dont have the talent to cross over (joker is an obvious exception). But for the commmon writer who enjoys seeing good structured wildstyle pieces I wish more traditional graff was available on canvas.

in my experiennce, if a writer is so dope that i would want some of his work, then chances are real good that that dopeness is going to extend beyond just letters.

but that's just me.

since you're doing all this yapping joker, i think you should post some recent works that we havent seen.

;)

Originally posted by PAID:one

I'm sure most writers hold the opinion that 'real' graffiti is illegal.

Some oil paintings by my dude MOE. Not graf inspired although we got stacks of graf canvases too.

http://www.spaceflowers.com/dramasutra.jpg'>

http://www.spaceflowers.com/lostwoman.jpg'>

http://www.spaceflowers.com/shivasilat.jpg'>

that canvass with the girl under the mushroom is incredable

see, here we go.

i'll admit it's possible to do a piece on a canvas with integrity that looks good, but rarely, and it really depends on the person. there are 10 or so people who can do that, so i don't think anyone else should really go down that route. keith haring did wierd as shit graffiti and then did wierd as shit stuff with it on canvas so he's okay.

but uh, when i paint, it's sort of about the culmination of events that led to that point. It's like a photograph. in your senior picture you might have a mowhawk and be giving the gas face, whereas you're a quite refined young chap now. It's like a snapshot of the mind at the moment. i think there is so much more to people than the latest piece they pulled out of their blackbooks and painstakingly copied onto canvas.

there's something called "the realness". stupid swirly background and paintmarker piece does not equal the realness. who had the realness? picasso had the realness, basquiat, twombly, de kooning... the realness involves the perfect combination of confidence, inquiry, accidentals/unplanned action, determined moves... you know what i mean at all? you look at these guys and you know they did what they did not because they knew they could make money but because they needed to. that's how they worked.

suckers who hop on the bandwagon with the art trends because theyre trying to get the name out there and sell out for no other reason than to have it easy need to chill. there is so much more to people than a piece on a canvas, let it show. everyon'es got the potential for the realness but the want to make somethign other people will like and fear are the two biggest factors in why something has no realness to it. look at modern installation sculpture in the past ten years or so. there are some people doing crazy shit that will knock your ass off, but what do you see more than anything? white room, a dozen or so of the same object arranged on the floor... such crap. the realness is what comes out without premeditation. it's the wavelike flow of the natural obsessive need to make things aesthetically pleasing and general knowhow that makes the dopest paintings.

in my opinion, at least.