Canvas Thread

Harpo Marx

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

So many talented people on this board! I feel lucky to be able to communicate and see what the rest of the world is doing.

All I can say is keep experimenting and testing yourself. Once something becomes "automatic" you should push on and test your limits. Like strength training you won't improve until you tax the muscles beyond what they previously felt. "Seak", for example, should make his forms into sculpture, gigantic, occupying an entire room! Those things want to come to life, to become real.

one of you more experienced canvas artist drop me some knowledge on me:

im working on my first canvas, its going to be very simple, and so on. i painted the entire thing black, with acrylic paint and it was very time consuming. im not sure if the brush i had was wack or what, but it took me like an hour.

-my friend said i was suppost to GESSO the canvas first? is that true? is there a certain kind of primer youre suppost to use first before painting?

-what kind of brushes do yall use? brand wise?

-what kind of paints? acrylic or oil? and what brands?

-paint markers, are these recommended? what are they best used for?

-last but not least, when using spray paint on canvas, what are some rules for doing so? like i cant remember exactly, but i rememebr a friend of mine telling me how hard it was for him to paint with spray paint on canvas. like the first layer stays, or its hard to cover up etc...

id really appreciate those questions being answered... thanks in advance.

For brotha Tease

first- your friend was correct. most people gesso the surface of the canvas before they start. The most important thing that the gesso does, is it keeps liquid from bleeding through the canvas.

brushes- depends on what you got to spend. I don't recommened any specific brand. I usually get some that aren't that expensive or on sale.....

paint (acrylics)- liquitex and golden.mostly

paint markers- Painter's ad deco

..and when it comes to spraypainting on canvas, I don't know if there are any rules. I usually try to be aware of how much paint that I am putting on. Because a canvas surface is not the same as that of a brick or cinderblock wall.

Hope I helped.

i think dredz covered the basics very well. i'd like to add that a coat of gesso is very advantageous even on primed canvasses, as the primer kind of sucks. as far as brushes, i use primarily synthetics, and i like "flats" or "brights" as far as brush shapes. a good rule of thumb is to always use a bigger brush than you think you need, as it builds confidence and brush dexterity, the equivalent of can control. hope this helps...-c36

El Coro... amazing work! Very nice indeed.

I wanted to post some images of canvas pieces but I've already posted them in other threads a long time ago so it won't let me post them again. So here's a ink drawing framed. One of ten...