Canvas Thread

Harpo Marx

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Joker

Why all the forum talk? And in German no less...

HA! Someone posted some links (I think it was Josie) that took me to a page that had German text.

I copy and pasted it to let 'em know that their links were'nt accessable to a non-registered person.

At least, I'm guessing that, that is what the text meant.

Not Really getting a good feeling from the last few canvases. Cyzm, I'm not accually sure what it is about the pieces, but I can tell your fundamentals are still lacking. The Way the Body is posed on the controlling your minds pieces is very rigid. Your faces are getting there, however I've never been fond of detailed but deformed heads on a stick like bodies. What's the goal of that piece, Are you going for an emmotion, a message. It all seems alittle thrown together. I can tell your deformed faces most likely come from a lack of undertsanding of the human head. The Body when broken down, like I said, is basically a stick figure in a jump suit, with some almost doll looking shoes. The Second piece, you showed an improved facial build, but the manner in which you put it on the canvas, to me, mabey not to any one else, looks like your again escaping the fact that you cannot propley put together a face. I also am thrown off by the background, I've seen you use it before. This piece also lacks an accual tight composition behind it. What was the reason you decided to arange the face bits in the way that you did? The color rectangles in the back, what purpose do they serve and why are they those colors. I've seen alot of your work. It is all very flat. I think your problem right now is the fact that you have no ways of putting down what you really want to, so you lay down sloppy, off the mark figurative pieces. Please I know It appears as though I'm coming at you and your work, which I am, but It's for a very good reason. I'd say really grill yourself on the fundementals, shadows, line, the figure, and so on. Then from there you'll have the foundation on which to build the art that you want to make.

Deciept, I belive you know alittle about composition, but your going about it all wrong. I dunno, I mean your prolly just your typical graffiti writer who doesn't get up, and decided hey, I can put my shit on a canvas. I sincerely hope not. Anyways, The figure in the lower left is very stiff. Also the composition of the piece leaves alot to be desired. Much like you I started off but huddling things into each corner. Are you familair with the rule of thirds? I can't really explain it over the internet, nor do I want to, nor will it make your pieces look much better, it's just something that helps some people out if they keep it in there head. Your on the right track, But it's really gonna be on your own developement as to where you decide how to place things.

Just one, what I have to say is, unless your basically a master of your craft ie. Zone or any of the writers how have seriously worked and developed there graffiti, and have done there thing inside of graffiti, I'd say stay away from graffiti on canvas. I mean Yeah your gonna be looked at by your local unschooled art peers as the coolest thing on the block with your poorly put together "graff art", but please just save your diginity for another day.

Well, I have droned on for far to long. If I offended any one, oh well, you'll live, and so will I.

And To Joker and all the people going through this thread who know there shit beyond and above, I'll be posting some of my works sometime in the near future wheni can get pictures and I'd really appreciate it if you'd critique them.

Thanks.

Peace Easy

Originally posted by slimeball

ha.^ is that fitty cent.

lol, no actually its me from last year. i heard that shit all the time last summer cuz i always wore a hat and a rag under it. "dam! dat boway look lahk a waht fiddy cent!". i always took it as an insult. but ya i just sketched it from a picture i had of myself.

bobby fisher: i definately dont consider myself your typical arrogant graffiti writer. but then again maybe i am and im being arrogant for thinking im not? but wait doesn't your typical graffiti writer just focus on getting up more than getting better? dammit! im new to canvases, and i dont like typical canvases with just a stupid fucking tag on them. only thing i have used so far is acrylics; and i wouldn't really say i've gotten a good grasp of them yet for the most part. im working on learning characters and backgrounds a lil more right now rather than just doing pieces and bombs all the time like your "typical graffiti writer" does. i have alot on my mind that needs to be expressed but dont quite yet have the skills to express them artistically. but anyways for the most part i didn't spend much time at all on that one canvas. i just kinda through it together while i was bored last nite. if you dont mind can you elaborate on wut u mean by the character is "stiff"? just curious. and as for your advice about "rule of the thirds" i've heard the term before, but it doesn't cross my mind wut exactly it is; but its definately something i will take under consideration. if you offended anybody than fuck whoever you offended. i didn't see any disrespect out of wut u typed, i only saw criticism. did you see the red "lost souls" one i posted? lemme kno wut u think about it, i was focusing more on a message with that one than anything else

Bobby... sure, no problem. I'll keep an eye open for your post.

Deceipt... I took a fwe minutes to go over your last painting. I can see where you were heading with this one. Minimal and graphic. Though I think you lost sight of that by spreading your thoughts out all over the canvas. My advice for next time you decide to go minimal or graphic... keep it minimal and graphic. Here's what I would have done differently... the canvas I would have turned vertical so that it's longer vertically. I would have done my piece up in the right hand corner, like you did. I would have done my R with the line coming down like you did. I would have done the red paint drips coming down with the line, to keep things tight. I may have even added a few more spits of paint though... especially behind the piece. This would help it to pop off the canvas a little. (Though it's very Diam-ish thing to do) And honestly... that's it. No character and no stencil letters two-toned. I think once you added those elements you gave the viewer too much to consider. And with a minimal style painting... you don't want to do that.

Actually, I may have even added some very dark gray in there somewhere. Maybe a thicker line of dark gray behind the piece coming down... I don't know.

I don't know anything about characters, so I can't comment on yours.

Thanks for sharing and thanks for being open minded.

yo bobby,

i get what you're saying, but each canvas i do i get better so with all respect, i won't take your advice. yeah it will take a couple of years before i get everyone in these threads to agree i'm amazing, and maybe even never, but i think you know thats not the only reason why people do canvasses.

i do canvasses for free, for myself and for others; i don't think that is undignified. there's saving your dignity and then there's stifling yourself because you don't want to upset a bunch of random (but very talented) graff artists who live on the other side of the planet and you will never meet.

word to my butthole

ps. your canvasses better be hot as fuck ;)

Originally posted by THE CORONER

yeah, none of that "Hispanic girls are sexy" shit artwork

hahahahahaha! got to agree with you there......

joker: well like i said i literally just thru that one together. it was sumthing i had actually started painting way back but it wasn't turning out right and i just drew that little piece up in the right hand corner on top of the red design that was there before and then drew myself in black and whites in the bottom. it definately woulda been a better idea to make that a vertical canvas tho. but the only thing i actually put any focus onto was the black & white "character". the one thing about that piece i would consider "daimish" is how i put the R in a font letter. i really suck at R's for sum reason right now so thats just a temporary way to get around it, lol. wuts funny is R used to be one of my favorite letters

To Bobby...

damn homie coming at me like we were in an art critique back in college.. thats cool i dig what your saying, infact i do not completely understand the human figure and lay it down correctly,, matter of fact all of my paintings are done out of my head with nothing to copy off of i do understand proportion, composition and the elements of art. i dont really know why catts come on here like there the one with the master plan , the one who knows really how to lay out a composition... in fact maybe that is my goal to break the basic, perfectly layed out composition done over and over again.. there is no guideline to art.

but i dig what your saying i do still need help developing the human figure, and i am still working on it.. maybe that is why i break away from a traditional looking face, but for shit out of my head i think i have a good grasp on things.. thanks for the criticism it does drive me to become better.. lets see some of your stuff though that would make your comments alot more convincing.. take it easy and no hard feelings,

those who can not take criticism shouldnt be an artist...