caution: critical article

Guest BROWNer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_El Mamerro

As soon as I'm substantially less drunk, I'll attempt to answer this properly. I must say, it's really damn difficult to argue against someone you completely agree with. I tried it once in another of Browner's threads and it was goddamn tough.

Guest imported_Tesseract

Haha, good show Tearz, like i said, i'm so antibush its ridicuous to spark up that shit. You know how my head works, i'm with you all the way.

Guest TEARZ
Originally posted by space base

^^Clinton wasn't impeached.

yes he was, MC Brains.

tess, mams, & browner.... collective words ups...

later later, why am i still on 12oz? gotta go on my trip...supposed to leave 15 mins ago.

Guest BROWNer
Originally posted by ARCEL

what was it ?

Outrageous Bush Executive Order on Iraq Oil Must Be Investigated

July 28, 2003

EarthRights International

President Bush has issued an Executive Order, so far completely unreported, that purports to grant broad legal immunity to oil companies operating in Iraq. The Order is, on its face, outrageous, and should be investigated.

Executive Order 13303, issued on May 22, 2003, claims to be essential to Iraqi reconstruction efforts. A cursory reading of the Order indicates that its real purpose is to protect oil companies by giving virtual impunity for any activities undertaken relating to Iraqi oil.

This Order, with broad language that seems to sweep aside federal statutes, including the Alien Tort Claims Act, has received no public attention. It has been brought to light by a researcher with the Sustainable Energy and Environment Network (SEEN).

Under this Order, an oil company complicit in human rights violations, or one that causes environmental damage, would be immune from lawsuits. The language of the Executive Order is so broad that it might as well have been written by lawyers for Halliburton, ExxonMobil and ChevronTexaco.

In 13303, President Bush declares a national emergency as the basis for protecting the Development Fund for Iraq (an entity intended to fund reconstruction efforts with oil proceeds, overseen by an international board including World Bank officials) as well as all Iraqi petroleum, petroleum products, “interests”, proceeds, and contracts related to Iraqi petroleum. Claiming that interference with Iraqi petroleum, petroleum products, and “interests therein” jeopardizes reconstruction efforts in Iraq, EO 13303 offers a wide range of protections to certain persons, entities and assets associated with the Iraqi oil industry. The document is apparently intended as a sweeping grant of immunity to individuals, corporations, agencies and others involved in Iraqi oil sales, marketing, or other oil-related activities.

The Order provides protection at both the front end—the activities that generate the oil—as well as the back—the profits and proceeds that ensue. U.S. companies engaged in petroleum-related work in Iraq are purportedly given broad immunity from suits for environmental damage, workplace harms, contractual disputes, and numerous other wrongs. For example, a U.S. oil company benefiting from human rights abuses, no matter how egregious, apparently falls within the Order’s immunity from suit. Similarly, the Order purports to protect any assets derived from Iraqi oil from judgment, garnishment, or any other seizure in U.S. courts. For example, if a corporate entity or an individual engages in criminal activity in the U.S., its assets traceable to Iraqi oil are protected by this order. The list of situations in which a person or corporation could get away with, if not murder, then at least millions, is endless.

The title of the EO, “Protecting the Development Fund for Iraq and Certain Other Property in Which Iraq Has an Interest,” is a sham. This EO may be about Iraq, but it’s also about the oil industry exclusively. (Remember the Administration has claimed that the Iraq war had nothing to do with oil?) There is nothing at all about protecting humanitarian organizations, communications, computer or electrical companies, or other industries that are critical to Iraq’s reconstruction.

EarthRights International is joining SEEN and the Government Accountability Project in investigating the legitimacy of this Order. We call on Congress to investigate EO 13303 immediately.

http://www.earthrights.org/news/eo13303.shtml

Guest BROWNer

so that's one interpretation of the order.

but you don't really need another...just

bookmark it as another episode in the endless litany

of arrogant scumbagtronicsz pulled by team

bush.

• 2 weeks later...

commentary on the first article:

Good article, I love how they are saying the Republican party is splitting, and some of those snakes are growing consciences and trying to snake out of the blame. That shit is not right, I am severely critical of these people. What's on their agenda? I'm not saying growing a conscience is bad, in fact conscience growth should be encouraged in humans, but I'm guessing their reason for conscience growth and mine are very, very different. The arguement could be extended that these people killed Jesus.

And I'm with you TEARZ on the little red balls floating up-the-whiteball-stream theory. You know if 85 percent of artists and intellectuals are for keeping our civil liberties, why is it that 99.9 percent of what I hear and see, not read, i can't bring myself to READ that shit, is righty-ri9ht.

as for the second:

how can this be, my country tis of thee, oh my, who, what, why, why. . .