How much you willing to pay to floss?

misteraven

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by Misteraven

so i guess we have no serious sneaker/t-shirt collector's in here?

See, thats the thing. What exaclty is a sneaker/tshirt collector?

I like buying things i completely dig and are somewhat unique, but i wear them and i kill them...dope pair of sneakers? give it a year max and its out the window...i refuse to buy 'classics' 10 times the price they should cost but i draw some satisfaction if i owned a pair back when it was new and fresh...I aint hating, but i only collect useless stuff...

ps. shoes look better used.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still not getting how people think $20 is a lot of dough for a t-shirt? I mean even assuming you buy your shit at the mall, you still gotta drop at least $22. Even a typical urban brand like ecko usually lists at $24 (http://www.shopecko.com) and every kid on the planet seems to be wearing that stuff. You step it up a notch and get something semi-obscure like the stuff at http://www.turntablelab.com and you're probably gonna spend around $26 - $28 for a t-shirt. That seems to be about average in my experience. I was just at alife nyc a bit ago and saw them selling simple 2 color t-shirts for $40. A bit on the pricey side for sure, but still seems worth having a couple in the closet for when the situation calls. Personally i've never been to london, but my understanding is that a cool shirt is gonna run you at least that much even without shopping at the bape store in soho.

Anyhow, I guess to each his own. I usually try and and differentiate myself a bit in how I dress, and how I approach things. Though I prefer to still stay incognito for the most part, I do tend to go out of my way to find those limited joints. I guess the bottom line is still to floss, but I also get off on the thrill of tracking down the hard to find shit. I guess some people collect old vinyl, and others collect rare gear. Usually sporting the stuff goes right past anyones notice, but it's satisfying to get those occassional nods of respect when someone in the know catches a glimpse of your number whatever of 50 super limited artist series dunks.

$20 is a lot for a t-shirt, seeing as you can get blank ones of the same quality for 5-7 bucks... and that's retail price, not wholesale. Surely charging 15 bucks for a print is a bit much... my general guideline is 15, because that's roughly how much I think it should cost. Unless it's really a work of art, in which case 25 is probably the limit.

Guest ctrl+alt+del

i shop at malls for jeans and shorts. usually the gap. ill drop 30 bucks for a pair of jeans, im okay with that. im not too picky when it comes to pants, as long as they look comfortable. i dont even know if there are "designer" jeans, maybe im just not ultra hip enough to know about them.

tshirts. i COULD buy a 25 dollar tshirt at urban outfitters. or i could buy 12 or more shirts at value village for the same price as that one new shirt. i have a lot of tshirts, i usually go to the village every other week and get 5 or so shirts, and ive been doing this for a few years. i dont consider myself a "collector" though. i know i will NEVER see any other kid in my city wearing the same shirt as me. oddly enough, if i went to minnesota that might be different, because i found a ton of minnesota wrestling championship shirts from the late 80's early 90's a few months back. ive always wanted to post some of my favorite finds on here, maybe ill do that someday. thrift shopping got 'cooool' all the sudden, which has pissed me off, but i can still get cheap shirts.

edIt*

oh and everynow and then i will order a shirt from digitalgravel.com or a band shirt from giantpeach.com but i can still rest easy knowing that no one in my city will be wearing any of those shirts.

but i guess that has more to do with my city than my taste.

Originally posted by Spike

$20 is a lot for a t-shirt, seeing as you can get blank ones of the same quality for 5-7 bucks... and that's retail price, not wholesale. Surely charging 15 bucks for a print is a bit much... my general guideline is 15, because that's roughly how much I think it should cost. Unless it's really a work of art, in which case 25 is probably the limit.

Actually, thats not exactly true. A high quality shirt like Hanes Beefy-T or another heavy-weight 100% combed cotton T-Shirt isn't $5 - 7 retail. Wholesale actually approaches that, particuarly on a dark colored or black shirt. When you consider the fact that most shirts are private labeled, have an offset printed hang tag, and also need to support overhead like designers, buildings, computers, phone lines, advertising, tradeshows, and the multitude of other expenses it takes to run a company, and then compound those costs further since most brands are actually relatively small (we're not talking gap or walmart here), then you're looking at a good chunk to get a shirt produced. Granted charging $40 is a bit much, but then again most these companies arent focusing on value, but rather quality and prestige.

you know what...I must be the biggest fool on this planet because it seems to be that I'm the only person contributing to this thread that (1) actually has to pay for my clothes and (2) can't seem to find ANY t-shirt for under $24...

$15 shirts? $5-$7 for blanks? $30 for jeans? (this one really interests me)...

Unless you're digging through the clearance racks at your local megastore, I can't relate to any of this...

can someone actually call out places where you can pick up gear so cheap, I'd love to hear some examples of some places online where I can get some of these deals...

I recently attended this travelling "show" of all limited edition gear, books and toys. All street level artists made and designed. From Stash and Futura Kubricks to LE dunks by some fool that I can't remember right now. I was interested in a two t-shirts that were on display and when I asked for a price on them... I was quoted what I thought was a mistake. "Excuse me... did you just say $250?" Hmmm... now, most of my friends know that I'm not cheap. I'll pay for soemthing I really want. Expensive or not. But $250 for a t-shirt... that's a bit much. I don't care who designed and how limited it is. I'd rather spend $250 on a painting by someone I admire.

Now, I haven't bought any new clothes in close to two years. I've been rocking the same two pairs of pants, two pairs of shorts and all my blank white t-shirts for two years straight. I do have several shirts from Skullz Press that Giant has hooked me up with that I wear occasionally but for the most part I'm a simple guy. I tend to spend my dough on jackets and shoes, bags and cycling shit. That's just me though. Hell, I didn't even know what "flossing" meant till a few months ago. I don't think I've flossed since I lived at home. It's not that I can't afford to, it's that I'm choosing to spend my cash elsewhere.

Whenever I see some new limited shit put out by writers I always freak and feel that I need it. My initial response is "Dude... I gotta have that!" and when the moment of truth rolls around, I spend my money on something else that's more needed. (Owning a home will run you dry of money, trust me) I did buy those limited Delta toys and I traded a painting for this limited bootleg 12" doll of Futura2000. So I guess I have some stuff. Every limited Dunk I see I want, but I never buy 'em. I'll never buy a Mesh trucker hat so I won't even worry about those. As for limited t-shirts, I've seen a few I like but for the most part... I'm a plain guy. Maybe if Futura would do some super minimalistic white designs on white shirts, I'd buy one or two... maybe three.

I don't think $35 to $45 is too much to pay for a LE t-shirt. It's actually pretty cheap. I feel sorry for kids in Japan and Australia who have to spend major loot to buy something that's $25 here in America.

Raven... if you made some LE 12oz sunglasses that were designed based on the Rudy Project Tayo... I'd floss 'em... as you cool guys would say.

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by Joker

Maybe if Futura would do some super minimalistic white designs on white shirts, I'd buy one or two... maybe three.

I don't think $35 to $45 is too much to pay for a LE t-shirt. It's actually pretty cheap. I feel sorry for kids in Japan and Australia who have to spend major loot to buy something that's $25 here in America.

Raven... if you made some LE 12oz sunglasses that were designed based on the Rudy Project Tayo... I'd floss 'em... as you cool guys would say.

I'll tell you what...put on the market some tshirts with the ill stuff you do, and i'll be flossing so hard you'll have the extra cash to floss whatever you want.

ps i just recieved some t-shirts from giant...nice price, top stuff, great people to deal with..win-win

Originally posted by geeteecee

you know what...I must be the biggest fool on this planet because it seems to be that I'm the only person contributing to this thread that (1) actually has to pay for my clothes and (2) can't seem to find ANY t-shirt for under $24...

$15 shirts? $5-$7 for blanks? $30 for jeans? (this one really interests me)...

Unless you're digging through the clearance racks at your local megastore, I can't relate to any of this...

can someone actually call out places where you can pick up gear so cheap, I'd love to hear some examples of some places online where I can get some of these deals...

you should roll out to TJ MAX. They have cheap shit. Even Burlington Coat Factory has some shit that is cheap. But I feel you 100%. When I do go buy clothes i always end up spending around $500 and only gettin 2 pair of jeans, a few shirts and maybe 2 pair of shoes.

The shit that really made me trip was when i went to this store called Phat Caps (no relation to graff) and they had these Throw Back Jerseys that were like $425. Why? $425 for an ASTROS JERSEY. On the other hand though i will go out and splurge some money on a tailor suit. I like to dress up when i get the chance. I have an extensive collection of dress clothes. I can see paying $425 for that shit, but not a jersey. No matter how LE a pair of DUNKS are.... I just dont see payin $1000. They are DUNKS. When they get scuffed then what? If i pay a stack for some shoes they better be made outta alligator.

And thats my piece

Originally posted by Tesseract

I'll tell you what...put on the market some tshirts with the ill stuff you do, and i'll be flossing so hard you'll have the extra cash to floss whatever you want.

No, I'll tell you what... you do the some more of those little hand made books and I'll be broke from buying 'em all up as gifts for everyone. Then you can do a little flossing yourself.

;)

Why flossing? That's cleaning between your teeth. What does cleaning between your teeth have to do with nice gear?

Here's what I think.

Ok stay with me.

No flossing = bad teeth

Bad teeth = English

English = a Language

Languages are spoken by people

People = attractive and ugly

Ugly People = 0

Attractive People = Popular

Everyone wants to be popular.

I feel sorry for kids in Japan and Australia who have to spend major loot to buy something that's $25 here in America.

ugghh.. talk about high prices. i haven't bought clothes in the last 3 years. except for shoes that i ordered on line.

t-shirts on average are $50-$200

jeans $100-300

shoes $200-250

brand name stuff goes for 2 to 3 times the actual price. but kids spend the loot like there's no tomorrow. in terms of label i like ralph lauren and adidas. polo jeans, collared shirts, champion sweatshirt, and a pair of adidas is about as far as i go to be flossin. i might possibly be the worst dressed person in japan. even the most out of fashion person has a luis vitton bag [$1500] they will have a tshirt and jeans but a $1000 bag????? kids choose haircuts, labels, styles, etc from magazines. so much attention is paid to what the hell is that foreignor wearing that i have become anti fashion. i no longer care if i get paint on my clothes, holes in my shirt, the cuffs of the pants get worn. as long as my shoes are clean i'm okay with my borderline homeless look. i'd rather spend my money on airplane tickets, belton, music, and tattoos.

I usually wear my clothes for as long as they last, so i'm willing to pay a bit of money for a decent pair of pants, or a sweatshirt or a coat or something. As far as tshirts go, i rarely spend over $20 on tshirts, just due to the fact that i go to a lot of smaller and local shows where bands will sell shirts for usually $10.

I think trying to get a one-of-a-kind t-shirt or sneaker is kinda ghey even if it's being passed off as art or because of who designed it. My style of dress is pretty casual. a 20$ t shirt is about as bling as it gets. I'm willing to spend 30-40 for a nice button up shirt or polo style shirt. And a 30-50$ pair of Levi's is usually covering up the lower half.

I got a couple of rings I wear on the rare occassion I feel like it. Hell I don't even wear my earrings anymore. (once every 3 months or so).

Although I do like nice cars.

:cool:

To continue with what Serum was saying...

Last time I was in Tokyo, which was mid-ninties I couldn't believe the hype surrounding fashion and the inflated price of fashion. Kids were spending upwards of $80 for a Tribal or Third Rail t-shirt. Before I flew over there I had bought a pair of Arnet sunglasses, those fancy chrome ones. They cost me $120. While in Tokyo I saw the same glasses selling for close to $250. Shoes were fairly priced but still more expensive. Fashion in general was crazily over priced. All due to import taxes. Though I will say that Issay Miyake shop was amazing and I was willing to pay for a slammin' shirt that was something I would never wear. It was that cool.

And the kids there were very well put together. A mixture of styles and somehow they would pull it off. The one thing I saw that kinda creeped me out though was the beach girls at this beach town we went to for a day. Suuuupppppper tan with bright make-up. Kinda weird looking but it was obvious that it was a fashion because there were so many girls that looked like that. The weirdest though... a punk rock bar I went to where they were slam dancing to a DJ spinning records. Doesn't sound that odd but it's one of those things, especially if you grew up on punkrock, that you had to see to believe and understand. Tokyo is cool, but Osaka is nicer. And the little town of Matsuyama is quite nice as well.

But if you want to check out how crazy Japanese street fashion can get... check out a book called Fruits. The Gothic Lolita's are by far my favorite.

Guest imported_Tesseract

Shit, Gothic lolitas...mmm

Yeah, the trendyness in japan is above all levels, while SARS was ripping china, japanese kids were wearing masks make by burburry(sp) !!!!..CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?

Guest ctrl+alt+del
Originally posted by geeteecee

$30 for jeans? (this one really interests me)...

Old Navy/Jeans

The most pricey pair of jeans here are 32 bucks. others are about 20. some 15.

on gap.com prices are a bit higher, about 40 bucks. still not too bad. plus gap always has sales around september.

i can go to either of those stores, get a pair of jeans, maybe even two if ive gotten enough money saved up.

right now i have 2 pairs of jeans that are in decent condition, and a pair of cords i got on sale from the gap for 15 bucks.

the thing about jeans is, are people really gonna know where i got them from?? its not like a tshirt that says the brand name. the only label on the jeans is always covered up by the belt, or the shirt. if people arnt going to know what kind of pants they are, why should i care, and why should i spend extra cash on a label no one will see?

But if you want to check out how crazy Japanese street fashion can get... check out a book called Fruits. The Gothic Lolita's are by far my favorite.

i think Very might have had a tag somewhere in that book if i`m not mistaken. the whole kouzu puuree [costume play] has created a fetish for me i never knew i had. anime girls, gothic dolls, s & m dominatrix, nurses, highschool girls.:love2: :love: :love3:

that whole suntanning thing has pretty much died out, kids were getting out of hand. they were blacker than african cats. if i get around to it i`ll see what magazines i have laying around and post some pages of japanese fashion.

Growing up going to hardcore shows in a small college area that has its own trends ruined me forever for flossing. I'm too cheap to buy tshirts over 15, but since I've got some weird obscure band shirt on I stand out in a room full of hiphoppery graff writers.

>>kinda ironic when writing is focused around an eye for aesthetics & detail, while centering on ego, yet not many of you are willing to pay more than $18 for a t-shirt, or go beyond the local mall to shop for gear? <<

Just for the sake of argument, If I don't spend my expendible income on limited tshirts, I can have more money for bills, which means I can work less, which means I can have more time to work on the details of what will live on even if I got hit by a bus tomorrow. My vague hope lies in maybe I'll come up with something that will influence people, rather than people saying of me "yeah, he always had these real obscure expensive clothes. snappy dresser he was".

Also, enviroment, and further the mores of that enviroment seem to play a part as well. If I ever came around the block when I was younger, or even now with some tight looking shoes and somebody asked me about them, I'd probably get laughed at, whereas in nyc or somewhere similar that can get respected by those who know. I mean, no disrespect at all to any of you who are into that, your style is your style. I would just hope if I paid a grip of money for some green and yellow shoes someone would beat my ass senseless.