minneapolis

cliffclaven

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yeah, people go get up. paint freights and use your scraps to bomb. i will admit the buff is discouraging, and now that winter is ending its getting worse. BUT, sometimes you luck out and a filtin rides 6 months or tags ride a year... its probability folks.

it comes down to the fact that graff isnt about being raw and lurkin anymore, or just creating illegal art for the sake of it, a lot of it is about flickin your chill piece and postin it and having toys or other urban artists give you props.... and fuck that.

im no graff cop and nothing anyone does is "right", its all opinion and context. so thanks wholeman and cheesecurd for the quality benching flicks.

I miss Minneapolis. You guys do more quality graffiti than 75% of cities with recognized graff scenes. Although... I do miss my years coming up there, when it was still HM, KYT, 7MK, BTR, NTS everywhere, and we were trying to make a name for ourselves. My relationship with graffiti has evolved into a strange weird complex thing since, but back then I'd get so hyped when I'd see a Blast throw-up that it would make me do something stupid like daytime tags in uptown, and I'd call all my friends and ask if they'd seen it, and we'd get together and sketch for hours and talk shit... Riding the bus back and forth a five times to do different spots across the cities, meeting new writers, the old shed at intermedia...

I hope the kids coming up feel the same sort of hope and fun and lust for graffiti that I did back then. I might be too wasted right now and these are just nostalgiac-ramblings... blah blah, glad to see all these pictures from all these friends, acquaintances and rivals, you're all doing ill shit. Can't wait to come back for a visit.

i think the problem is most people got no heart for it anymore. too many newer writers only do like one outline on a highway, one night of silver tags in uptown, and five or ten chill wall spots a year.

as kids we knew our citys awesome history and wanted nothing more than to live up to (and beyond) the expectations. our philosophy was to combine all aspects of the best graff that we saw coming up and then to consolidate it all into one movement.

we were inspired by the old school uptown tracks/bombshelter era of the midwest style burners by people like eros ewok monk intel logik crisis chen dzise etc. as well as the more funky and simplistic fr8 styles and fr8 numbers put up by people like mber spell and hope 4.

we also knew that you had to be up and maintain a presence in the streets and were heavily influenced by the serious crushing of people like kept puzl eski poe blast vent 26 and the one man wrecking crew that was gift nts. as well as others like sierra thnx nymz rehab dsc ensue fails gain etc. we also learned the importance of strategic subtle tags and all around up-ness and consistency of yen34.

at the same time we were also inspired by the work, as well as the friendly (and sometimes not so friendly) competition of 7mk/wins crew.

i know the city has dramatically changed in the past 15 years but i still think that if enough people learned the history, are down for the cause and not afraid to get their hands dirty, that the torch could continue to keep burning strong in minnesota. so to the people who actually are putting in work right now - keep it up. learn from the past and adapt to the future.

peace...

^^^^^^^^^^^^WORD! Blitzkrieg Status! You know if you even had about 25-30 real writers this city would be smash. Like wayne said forget the dead spots get LIVE AND LOUD. Where's the Etch? Where's the grimey mops tags? Where's the endless barrage of stickers? Where's the countless amount of tags? Where's the hundreds of fillin's and throwee's?

i think the problem is most people got no heart for it anymore. too many newer writers only do like one outline on a highway, one night of silver tags in uptown, and five or ten chill wall spots a year.

as kids we knew our citys awesome history and wanted nothing more than to live up to (and beyond) the expectations. our philosophy was to combine all aspects of the best graff that we saw coming up and then to consolidate it all into one movement.

we were inspired by the old school uptown tracks/bombshelter era of the midwest style burners by people like eros ewok monk intel logik crisis chen dzise etc. as well as the more funky and simplistic fr8 styles and fr8 numbers put up by people like mber spell and hope 4.

we also knew that you had to be up and maintain a presence in the streets and were heavily influenced by the serious crushing of people like kept puzl eski poe blast vent 26 and the one man wrecking crew that was gift nts. as well as others like sierra thnx nymz rehab dsc ensue fails gain etc. we also learned the importance of strategic subtle tags and all around up-ness and consistency of yen34.

at the same time we were also inspired by the work, as well as the friendly (and sometimes not so friendly) competition of 7mk/wins crew.

i know the city has dramatically changed in the past 15 years but i still think that if enough people learned the history, are down for the cause and not afraid to get their hands dirty, that the torch could continue to keep burning strong in minnesota. so to the people who actually are putting in work right now - keep it up. learn from the past and adapt to the future.

peace...

well said! RIP THNX ONE

I dont really have much to comment about that. Social media is the future and you can reject it all ya want but you wouldnt knock the use of the telephone now would you? Yeah you probably would. I agree though that people/i need to hit the streets more. Ok so then we wont paint, theres always my crew, and thats all i really want or need. But dont knock my style or letters cause i know im fuckin ill, but so are you! Good luck to everyone this summer! Ill see you out there!

People just do their thing... It's an easy critique to say "Not enough people are lighting the streets up" because we have such a short term memory of some things. The grass is always greener. In the past few years alone (like 2008 and onward) there were a few people that came out of nowhere, crushed all over the city, and then got caught up one way or another.. like Lone FLC and that one little mexican cat (even I forgot what that dude wrote, but it was everywhere- ya'll remember). Besides those two examples, plenty of people have been smashing consistently ever since the hay days of pre-2002 graff. Noise/More... Show...7MK...RVS... Ensue is still holding it down and he has been one of the longest and most consistent..hank and mhap treated it like a job there for three to four years. In fact, UC (especially Arch, Dmyse, and Shock) have held it down like crazy lately. So I don't really think there has been a lapse in the bombing at all- DeathFromAbove...you do your thing and I'll do mine.. I ain't stressin' shit. I love where I'm at right now and wouldn't wish anything on anyone. You want to see more street shit then do it- since when does there need to be a coalition of people? Go out by yourself and quit lettin' my rebuttal bother you! ooooo!

^ yeah. just because you dont see pics of it on the internet, it don't mean it doesn't exist. go to the hood where shit never gets buffed. you cant see the whole twin cities in one glance. theres alot of shit that goes unnoticed. just for example, check out the midway. theres alot of hidden gems from most of the people wholeman just mentioned. and also shoutout to the hoodrats that frequent metro transit with etches etc. its the little things in life...