graffiti fashion

niso

Guest Propaganda

^^ yup wear what you like is what I always say. It is what depicts a person. But graff clothes makes a person hot up and noticable at times. But it is just clothes. .......................Now if they had graff TV channel..:lol:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

honestly, i couldnt really give a fuck if a writer does some shirts or a commercial. so long as its a real writer i suppose, i dont like those ads where the graffiti is obviously done by some graphic designer asked to make the font "urban". more power to someone who does that and gets paid. i dont rock tribal 555 soul and that stuff at all. i hate that "dress up as a writer" bullshit myself. but i couldnt care less. i dont keep anything real or hate on a writer for that. i wouldnt wear graffiti clothes, unless they were given to me for free, then i might.

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by T.T Boy

honestly, i couldnt really give a fuck if a writer does some shirts or a commercial. so long as its a real writer i suppose, i dont like those ads where the graffiti is obviously done by some graphic designer asked to make the font "urban".

If by that you mean that its just lousy graffiti, i agree..however i dont give a fuck if a graphic designer feels like making something look graffitish and does it well..i've seen that happen and it was dope.

What is the current trend of having text on t-shirts? The dopest t-shirts I own have nothing that could be easily interpreted as letters on it, or has letters so small you have to be standing right next to me to read them.

graffiti t shirts to me are ones like tribal, and ecko and i dunno, the other ones with burners on them.the ones that blatently advertise graffiti. im not discrediting them at all, i just wouldnt rock a shirt with a bunch of tags on it like tribal or something. its kind of like having football players wearing jerseys at the bar. its kind of silly to me. there are some nicley done shirts, by good artists, and those are nice, not something id wear. things with big tags on them, is kind of stupid for me. i guess my whole comment is im not going to wear a tag. im also not going to wear a garth brooks shirt either. but to whoever made those shirts, good job, your getting paid and exposure.

as for the whole graphic designer who did graffiti thing, ive seen alot of really poor work on random cups, shirts, candy bar wrappers, note books and backpacks, that were obviously not done by writers, or if they were it was by a 13 year old. ive never seen anything else that i assumed wasnt done by a writer but was actually done by a non graffiti person. id like to see some examples of it as im sure theyd be cool. i am rambling on about nothing.

Originally posted by Misteraven

going back to a point i was bringing up in a previous post...

why are kids so against writers dropping gear, yet 99% of the kids I see will stuff their closet full of ecko, 555 soul, etc that seems to be almost the same stuff, but not usually designed/produced by writers?

not hating, just curious...

No doubt. I personally don't hate on writers who produce clothing, that's dope. But I don't really like it when companies that have nothing to do with or never did anything for the graff culture (or movement or whatever..) act like they're down with it and come out with a line of graffiti inspired apperal, all graffed out and the shit ends up being completely wack.

good point, and along the same lines as my conclusion... if you like it, buy it. eventually, this will only leave companies that are putting out product that's worth something. bullshit fly by night companies will blow a wad to try and jump on the trend only to be gone the next day when no one buys into their crappy knockoffs.

What I was getting at , but perhaps forgot to mention, in one of my previous posts is this; I dont think that the writers, or other people insightfull enough to decipher who makes certain labels and who has paid there dues, have enough of a market share to realy influence which companys make money and which dont of graffiti stylisation.

The reason this offends me so much is that graffiti had its birth through ilegal channels, this is the reason that it looks the way that it does. This means that in order to truly understand graffiti you have to look far beyond simple the visual image, you have to look at the motivation

behind the wrtiers actions and the context it was painted in.

If someone walks in on my culture and overlooks all the 'blood sweat and tears' of graffiti and say 'hey thats the new funky thing' and slap some graffiti designs or graffiti aesthetics on a tshirt or in an advertisment of some kind. I take this the same way that I would respond to someone insulting me or a member of my family.

In writers terms using graffiti aesthetics to make money if you have not contributed highly to that culture is a 'diss' to the real writers that time after time after time continue to bomb and put thier balls on the line for this thing that they love.

I say go do your thing and screw the preconceptions. If you deliver quality and integrity, those that matter will see it and hopefully support it. The sooner you drop your fucked up preconceptions, the sooner we can move on to more interesting and dynamic times.

If this is addressed to me I find it insulting.

I could easily turn that around and say that "your fucked up preconceptions" are allowing this prostitution of our culture to continue.

alot of stuff gets stolen, tossed around, used, reused, into hipster culture. graffiti just happens to be one of them. get used to it, because itll be cool for a while then end up in some cool guys moms basement with his box of zoobas, members only jackets, fanny packs (surprisingly 80's trasher fashion is cool now), and other assorted neon hats, vaurnet france, hypercolour, chip and pepper wet wear, and other cool guy items.

go ahead, keep it real, dont sellout. you cant change mainstream fashion from the computer. who cares. its just a fad. like everything else. who am i to talk?[/b]

You are right you cant change mainstream fashion from the computer, however you can influence other writers and members of our culture through speaking and writing and raisning general awareness about what is actualy going on and how taht conincides with idealy how it should work.

Originally posted by Joker

> Hmmmm... I'm not sure I can touch on that paragraph, but I'll try. I see what you're saying but isn't that kinda far fetched? It's as if you're saying that a few can bring down the whole. And I don't think that will ever happen. You'll always have purists. No matter what artform you're engaging in. Grey and Amaze are fine examples. And when you have purists of their level you have up and coming writers who want to "be down" with that style. Same with the largely popular trend right now to be an all out bomber. (Just as it was a trend in the early 90's to do massive full color production legal walls) There will always be writers, such as yourself who want to keep the 'language' alive. It's important to them. And dude, (Yea, I said dude) I'm 100% all for that.

After reading my previous post I realized my message could have come accros a little clearer, the problem here is I am starting to have a similar yet slightly different converstation about the nature and true identity of graffiti.

In relation to that I wasnt so much talking about a style, more a mentality. It is painfully obvious that almost everyone has a different veiw and different values and commitment levels of, for and about graffiti, this is eveident by the actions you take as a writer.

I dont know alot about Grey or Amaze, Although I read a post by Grey once stating his opinion of legal graffiti as a mimic of illegal graffiti ( or somthing to that extent). I was impressed by this statment becuase I have a very similar view. So in that sence I can say I agree that Grey is a purist.

I think the stem of my dislike for graffiti in fashion would come back to my beleif that graffiti should not (or should be recognised as does not) exist in a legal context.

I have no problem with people painting murals or elaborate designs incorperating letters, but this is by no means 'getting up' or 'representing' (to use some graffiti terms).

To simply use a tag or a peice that has no excuse not to be done in an ilegal context as a design for a t shirt or a mural is illogical and (in my opinion) ultimatly undermining the strenghth of the actions of a writer.

I would love to respond to most of the comments made in here but I simply do not have the time.

Also I am extremly happy to continue this debate via email ( joe_baloney@hotmail.com) or on msn, but as I am getting of subject I feel I should stop posting in this thread.

graffiti clothes suck

some kid yelled at me the other day, on some "what the fuck are u doing here u aint no hip hopper" shit. because i wasnt wearing hip hop clothes. society wants to be able to label and identify everything. graffiti clothes do not make you a graffiti writer. hip hop clothes do not make you cooler than me.

yeah, ive seen alot of graffiti style stuff on cloths. first of all, i wouldnt wear it, even if some of the pieces and handstyle are fairly good. I think it is playing out graffiti. people wear that stuff who dont know the first thing about graffiti. They think dondi fasted to keep the brittish out. however, im all up for makin your own graffiti style shirts and shit with either markers or fabric spraypaint (dont use normal shit, it makes the shirt all crusty...). that way its legit, and its personalised. peace

about those shoes.......you can buy a pair of plain shoes and do all the painting, silkscreening yourself, good example of a writer who kept it real when he made a small time tshirt line with his own style and a great idea and sold it through a localy owned skate store( cal skate) his name is WEDIG so you may have heard of him and if you have (Joker you may have) if you have any of his pics post em' he has like ol english images of saints with ak's and nights with aks' and lances........icelandic mafia!

Guest imported_El Mamerro

honestly, i couldnt really give a fuck if a writer does some shirts or a commercial. so long as its a real writer i suppose, i dont like those ads where the graffiti is obviously done by some graphic designer.

Hahahahaha, that would be me.

http://www.mtv-china.com/avzone/photo/video/23mo_money.jpg'>

You can hate me now.

truthfully, I got my first taste for graff from the whole Subway Art/Beat Street era, when both were new drops. However, graff at that time (at least in Miami) wasnt even strong enough to be considered a subculture yet. Rather it was a past time we did, that later kind of bonded a lot of us together as we moved up through skating and the punk/hard core scene. It didn't begin to have enough momentum to stand on it's own until about 89 or so from my experience. But like I said, I grew up in Miami, not the Bronx. I'm sure Europe was even more different.

Still doesnt rebute my arguement though.

raven, the movement of graffiti from an activity to an identity has happened everywhere. this whole youth subculture thing gets more ridiculous every year becauce its gets less youthfull.

anyway, there was big trend of graffiti clothing in the early 90's, but it didn't have this hipster vibe that has infused graffiti of late.

screw graf clothes.

how about oolong maternaty clothing?

my boy already drew me up a shirt im gunna wear to the hospitol. its some girl character with a bunny doctor with a siringe and it says "my water broke"

i'll get pics.

Originally posted by DEE38

screw graf clothes.

how about oolong maternaty clothing?

my boy already drew me up a shirt im gunna wear to the hospitol. its some girl character with a bunny doctor with a siringe and it says "my water broke"

i'll get pics.

haha awesome....

I'm gonna have to say that I won't buy anyone else's graffiti.... thanks anyway.

not edited ever

Anything to Make A Buck

I say "Hell, yeah." You guys ought to all be producing designs to sell to these bullshit ripoff clothes companies, put those suburban dollas in yo' pocket. Tommy Hilfiger--what the hell does this dipshit know about graffitti? He sells CLOTHES. And for about fifty times as much as they are actually worth.

No, that's not true. If people are STUPID enough to pay $48 for a pair of pants or a shirt, or $200 for a pair of fucking TENNIS SHOES, then I guess that is what the shit is worth--to them.

Personally, I shop at Wal-Mart and military surplus stores. I buy "fancy" work clothes at Academy. My brother-in-law gives me cheap-ass brand blue jeans that the Gas Company gives him for free at work (for work clothes.) I don't wear stuff that is supposed to be cool. I used to, but now I just wear whatever happens to appeal at the time.

I like genuine shit. Like a guy I knew worked for several weeks at Shipley's Do-Nuts, and got a GREAT t-shirt with a huge Shipley's do-nut on the front. I love that shirt. My wife has a cool red t-shirt with a big Ruger Firearms logo on it.

And I gave my daughter a black t-shirt I got from a friend in the joint, back when I was riding Harleys up in Washington State a lot, that has a great drawing of a biker on a chopper and says "Washington State Penitentiary Motorcycle Association." Now that is a rare piece of gear.

Archived