graffiti fashion

niso

Guest sneak

there is still new blood coming through.

i think its good that they may have to go through all the crossing out etc first. it shows that they have the lasting power.

i got lined out when i first started and so did the people i wrote with. difference is that i kept on going after that and dealings with police. the others didnt.

in a way, i like how "exclusive" our sub culture can be. i feel like im part of something not many people know about.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by sneak

i feel like im part of something not many people know about.

oh everybody knows about it.

"those damn kiiids spray patinted my garage!!"

We think we're 'defenders of the cause' because we preach about artistic merit.

again, its just clothes. its simple as this, if you like it, sport it. if not...

i remember recieving an 'obey' shirt for my birthday once from my sister. well, i sported it to a party, and this writer tells me,

'how can you wear that, i'd rather get myself up before someone else'

at the time i started thinking through that little graffiti mind aswell, but then simply said 'hey man, its just a shirt'

and thats still true to this day... who really gives a fuck, its not about what you wear, its about what you do.

no fucking shirt is going to kill the culture and if it does effect it in some way, who really gives a fuck... the ones who are really about it will continue to be about it and go on doing there thing.

good point, and along the same lines as my conclusion... if you like it, buy it. eventually, this will only leave companies that are putting out product that's worth something. bullshit fly by night companies will blow a wad to try and jump on the trend only to be gone the next day when no one buys into their crappy knockoffs.

what I would have figured to be a larger debate would be the flood of 'urban' companies that built empires on the graff aesthetic. though I still feel the same way about it, where does this leave companies like ecko, triple 5 soul, etc... that are defintely not writer founded, owned, or operated, yet still rake in loads of cash selling gear to kids that's clearly heavily influenced by writers and their culture?

everything is played out. ill bet truckers are fuming mad right now because of the new trucker hat cool guy sk8r boy post neo pop punk trend. graffiti is getting cool on t shirts. it always kinda was there. being a surfer is cool too, i live in the fucking mountains and i see kids rocking quicksilver dry fit surf clothes. why? i dont know. the closest place to surf here is an easy 14 hour drive.

why do i go to london and see people wearing wrangler jeans? and carhartt jean jackets, they are neither cowboys or probably know little about being a construction worker while theyre browsing oxford street. or the new italian trend of rocking english footbal club t shirts. even spelled wrong. ill bet the liverpool and man u fans are up in arms as well as cowboys and construction workers about those people rocking their fresh gear.

alot of stuff gets stolen, tossed around, used, reused, into hipster culture. graffiti just happens to be one of them. get used to it, because itll be cool for a while then end up in some cool guys moms basement with his box of zoobas, members only jackets, fanny packs (surprisingly 80's trasher fashion is cool now), and other assorted neon hats, vaurnet france, hypercolour, chip and pepper wet wear, and other cool guy items.

go ahead, keep it real, dont sellout. you cant change mainstream fashion from the computer. who cares. its just a fad. like everything else. who am i to talk?

I slightly disagree.

I really doubt truckers or construction workers really care either way. I'd even be surprised if they happen to notice. Regardless, when a group of people like what they wear, why'd they be offended if another demographic suddenly realized it's merit and started sporting it too?

This is kinda straying off the topic since we're debating why writers hate on writer produced clothing.

"However I do have a problem with the acceleration of this embrace that designers on the whole have given graffiti aesthetics, I am of teh opinion that (like mentioned before) if this continues, the adopted style of an artistic movemnet(which graffiti most certainly is) will be consumed and thrown away like anything that passes through the fashion world."

> I agree with you completely. I think we can all easily agree that 'Graffiti' fashions will eventually fade, especially in the higher end markets and those companies who are true to the culture will remain. Only because of reputation. If 'Graffiti' inspired fashion goes by the way side in a year, like most hot fashions, good for us. Yea, it'll be harder for a writer/ designer to make his money but that's only because his target market has gone from the world back to the culture itself. And besides his pocket being a little bit more empty... there's nothing wrong with that. I'm not sure what continent you're on, but in America 'Graffiti' fashions aren't a huge seller. Especially not with writers. Unless they happen to be writers/ hip-hop enthusiasts. However, I do think in Europe that such inspred fashions will continue to thrive. Mostly due to the quality and forward thinking designs that are coming out of there. Just like here in America, writing is expected to be more tradional while in most countries outside of North America the artistic value is stronger. And in my personal opinion, neither is wrong.

" I can handle it , like you said it has been around for quite along time, just not to this degree, I am all for writers that have contributed strongly to make a buck off graffiti later in their lives, but I see it as a kick in the teeth when ppl like 123Klan (I will continue to use them as an example) get paid to tour the world giving lectures on graffiti style and teaching impressionable kids how to do adobe illustrator tags, are doing very well from selling graffiti as a product when they have never risked anything for it. By diect comparison I see someone like NYC's Stay High ,a hugly influencial bomber, struggling to get by.

Again this is why I mentioned Wane COD, He has put in alot to graffiti, and put his balls on the line over and over (He continues to do this now after how ever many years) so when he wants to make a graffiti product such as 'Writers Bench' it is highly justifyable."

> Absolutely. What Wane is doing is definitely justified. He's put in sweat and tears and continues to do so after all these years. His company is for writers, by writers. And to reiterate, companies like that will survive long after the trend is dead. I've never heard of 123Klan so I can't speak out on them. But in the two times I've walked in to a Mr. Rags shop and saw the crap on Display there, it's easily obvious to someone who knows what's up what is being produced by real writers. I saw Tribal up in the same shop next to some other no-name company and the differences in style were completely obvious. The problem with shops like Mr. Rags is the ability to reach everyone. Even those who have no clue about what it is to suffer as a writer from the ground, up. Then again, any monkey can walk into a specialty shop and buy caps to do his shitty tags for the first time. It's an example of not being able to control what's beyond your means.

" Yes the aesthetics of graffiti will continue to expand outside of the more traditional mediums but people (especialy writers) need to understand that once it has been taken outside of an illegal context it disregaurds Its Context and Comment, the 2 INgredients that make any Illegal ingredients a true form of art. Once these 2 ingredients have been removed it leaves graffiti as simply a stlye ,and although a refined style, it is weakend by that lack of ideoligy that is present with anygraffiti done on an illegal surface. "

> Hmmmm... I'm not sure I can touch on that paragraph, but I'll try. I see what you're saying but isn't that kinda far fetched? It's as if you're saying that a few can bring down the whole. And I don't think that will ever happen. You'll always have purists. No matter what artform you're engaging in. Grey and Amaze are fine examples. And when you have purists of their level you have up and coming writers who want to "be down" with that style. Same with the largely popular trend right now to be an all out bomber. (Just as it was a trend in the early 90's to do massive full color production legal walls) There will always be writers, such as yourself who want to keep the 'language' alive. It's important to them. And dude, (Yea, I said dude) I'm 100% all for that.

I'm guessing that Sneak is from the UK, only because of his chosen words to describe characters. Pikey and rudeboy. (Though, I always thought a rudeboy had something to do with Mods.) I think in Europe and elsehwere outside of North America, the majority of writers tend to be very much involved in the hip-hop culture. Whereas here, it's mostly nerds, skaters and alcoholics. Anyway, from my experiences in Europe I think the tolerance for 'Graffiti' fashions is much higher than it is here. Maybe it's due to the high aesthetics placed upon each item and the details taken into account. I don't really know. But for the most part, I've always liked what I've seen.

Like the Hixsept stuff posted earlier. Never seen any of that till now. But the attention to detail and placement, much like a writer would consider when out painting, is what makes the item interesting to me. Is this a company of writers making clothing for writers?

i wouldnt be caught dead wearing any of that.. except the pigeon shirt is straight, but the rest is so ugly.

http://www.fatcap.co.uk/host/files/404.jpg'>

like can you really imagine being that guy, standing at a party with your drink with some wierd white drip shit on your shirt like that. you could do something similar and make a really cool interesting shirt that people would look at at that party and be like damn thats a cool shirt, but instead its some akward pointless drips on a shirt.

I guess its kinda where youre from. I dont know many skaters who are seriously into graff rather than stupid fucking tags on things just for vandalism. I know alot of 'hardcore' kids who are into graff and a few hop hop types too. But the thing is its all too diversified to say who will wear what.

Originally posted by T.T Boy

... ill bet truckers are fuming mad right now because of the new trucker hat cool guy sk8r boy post neo pop punk trend.

Actually, if Von Dutch were alive he'd fucking go on a murderous rampage. Nevermind the truckers. When Quicksilver and Hurley start making a product and making that product available to a massive market... it's a good sign that it used to be something sacred for a chosen few. I saw Von Ductch trucker hats on sale at a store for $45. In the same store I saw a Hurley trucker hat on sale for $30. Now that's sad, especially when you can walk into a thrift store and buy one for a quarter.

Back to the subject though...

I dont care what anyone says... The graffiti inspired collection Louis Vuitton dropped a couple seasons back was dope. And to my knowledge, no writers were involved. Regardless, they took influence from their surroundings, and flipped it.

Very fresh...

I remember when Tommy Hilfiger came out and all the true hip hop heads were like "NO! Don't buy it! He's a racist white man stealing money from the culture!" And Tommy Hilfiger is still around bankin like 8 years later.

I don't like to see graffiti commercialized. For one it gives people misconceptions of the culture. For two it is overpowering a potential market for real writers. Then again the commercialized product could be a gateway for kids to find the real stuff but who knows.... they probably won't buy it cause John and Jane the prom king and queen at school never heard of it and hasn't given it thier approval.

It's really wack when you got something going for yourself and then some shrewd backstabber blasts a horn and here comes the cavalry to jump on you're bandwagon.

I usually rock plain gear.......plain t-shirts,or patterned button-up shit,dirty Levis and scuffed Nunn Bush shoes.....fuck it......

I have an idea......why don't people chisel some portion off a heavily buffed legal wall and then weave the chunks together with some wire and wear some chrome "DEVO" hats......that would be dope.:rolleyes:

going back to a point i was bringing up in a previous post...

why are kids so against writers dropping gear, yet 99% of the kids I see will stuff their closet full of ecko, 555 soul, etc that seems to be almost the same stuff, but not usually designed/produced by writers?

not hating, just curious...

Originally posted by Misteraven

why are kids so against writers dropping gear, yet 99% of the kids I see will stuff their closet full of ecko, 555 soul, etc that seems to be almost the same stuff, but not usually designed/produced by writers?

you and I have spoken about this before and I think the best explanation for this is that 99% of the population is insecure and they need to wear what they feel is acceptable. The easy way out (the secure way) is to wear what others are wearing which kids interpret as acceptable. Hence, the proliferation of companies such as ecko...

Originally posted by Misteraven

going back to a point i was bringing up in a previous post...

not hating, just curious...

I can only speak for myself on this issue..

I personally have nothing against writers designing gear, but I don't like wearing anything that's obviously "graffiti"... in fact I'm against logos in general, so I like t-shirts with nice design but no or very unnoticable text. There seems to be this odd logo culture, where kids buy stuff for the brand name. In England this is a huge thing, kids actually buy badly made, ugly stuff just cuz it has a fucking huge Nike tick across the front. It's the concept that wearing a brand name affiliates you with a certain type of person.

My answer to that is fuck that. It makes clothes design stagnant as more and more people buy into big name logos for the sake of the logo. This means originality is becoming totally squashed. Seriously though, how great is a t-shirt with some old tag on it? Unless you really have something to do with the people who make it, i.e. you're Tribal street team, work at Tribal etc., why the fuck are you wearing someone elses NAME on your stuff? This comes straight back to logos. Stuff that's designed, i.e. a pattern, as opposed to a word is usually much better, because it's low key. I don't want my clothes to shout to the world "HI! I'M A VANDAL." Sure I want them to look good.

Ok, I'm rambling again. Ignore me.

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by geeteecee

you and I have spoken about this before and I think the best explanation for this is that 99% of the population is insecure and they need to wear what they feel is acceptable. The easy way out (the secure way) is to wear what others are wearing which kids interpret as acceptable. Hence, the proliferation of companies such as ecko...

i agree to a point with that, the thing is that insecurity isnt the only thing in that...i mean, take some hip hopish/graffiti kids, give em an ecko shirt or some collectible tshirt made by a writer..they would all pick the rarest if it looks hip hop/graffitish....so, people need acceptance but they're also bored or not so refined or just dont care about all that. The way one dresses sais things about him/her for sure, i've met people that have style while they dont care about it at all...and i've met people that have style and spend time and money to get it going...it solely depends on were you stand

Archived