graffiti fashion

niso

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by -->Def$tar!

... and lets all hope this fuckin fad burns out as quickly as possible so we can get back to wreckin shit in the name of graff not fashion.

Is 'Graffiti' inspired fashion really holding you back from wreckin' shit? If so, how? I'm confused. Or were you trying to end on a uplifting note? Definitely not trying to be a dick, here. I'm honestly curious why you feel that 'Graffiti' fashion is holding you back.

Those who can't handle 'Graffiti' inspred fashions need to loosen up, now. It's been around for years and years and will continue to be around for years and years later. From hand painted jean jackets to uber-hip offset prints on cotton t-shirts... it's here to stay. Much like 'Graffiti' itself.

Writing has continued to develop, as it should. From computers to canvas to clothing we've evolved as artists. (Yes, even you bombers are artists. Don't get me started on that arguement) Progression is a natural step if we want to keep fresh. That includes mediums and surfaces. If you choose to hit only the cuts, freights, legal walls or passenger trains... cool. Do you thing. Getting heated on a message board about clothing is useless. Stay the course and do your thing.

I dont wear my clothes that have "graffiti things" on them. One is a conart l.a. shirt. I wore it once because I'm a gangster. I dont' know where it is now and I dont really care. I have a pink one with a spray can with wings I got at a little event thing. NO not a graf event. The couple times I wore it I also wore a zipup and when people ask what that is on my shirt I tell them it's a hairspray bottle. and they say "really?". I just ate a bunch of junk food and I feel sick. Anywho yeah. Like a lot of other people I want to make /design my own shirts. But they won't have graf on them. But they will however have giant monster ugly fish. I like ugly fishes what can I say.Oh also lines. I draw lines. <3

Originally posted by Joker

Is 'Graffiti' inspired fashion really holding you back from wreckin' shit? If so, how? I'm confused. Or were you trying to end on a uplifting note? Definitely not trying to be a dick, here. I'm honestly curious why you feel that 'Graffiti' fashion is holding you back.

Graffiti inspired fashion is by no means holding me back from wrecking shit, In fact it has pushed me even further in that direction, going from being a writer much more concerned with style and the technical mastering of the spray can, to becomeing much more interested in bombing and placement.

In my previous statment I was more refering to the publics perception of graffiti, largly this has not changed, vandalism is still vandalism, but there is now an entire wave of 20 to 30year old odd graphic designers and fashion designers that thinks the way graffiti looks is 'neato'. Now sure, Like I stated earlier , some have purely a budding appreciation of graffiti aesthetics, others seem to have more a grasp on the symbolism and the statment graffiti makes within society than most writers, the latter, in the long run, I surpose is a good thing. However I do have a problem with the acceleration of this embrace that designers on the whole have given graffiti aesthetics, I am of teh opinion that (like mentioned before) if this continues, the adopted style of an artistic movemnet(which graffiti most certainly is) will be consumed and thrown away like anything that passes through the fashion world.

A stlye and set of ideologies that make up graffiti (the artform that I hold very close to my heart) 30odd years in the making could be cheapened, prostituted and disreguaded in a matter of one year or less. .

*edit- this is not like otehr art forms which have become trendy, Us writers believe strongly in what we do and are prepared to be heavliy penalised , and in some cases go to jail for this art form.

I have criminal convictions but I will continue to bomb even harder becuase I truly love graffiti and what it stands for*

Those who can't handle 'Graffiti' inspred fashions need to loosen up, now. It's been around for years and years and will continue to be around for years and years later. From hand painted jean jackets to uber-hip offset prints on cotton t-shirts... it's here to stay. Much like 'Graffiti' itself. [/b]

I can handle it , like you said it has been around for quite along time, just not to this degree, I am all for writers that have contributed strongly to make a buck off graffiti later in their lives, but I see it as a kick in the teeth when ppl like 123Klan (I will continue to use them as an example) get paid to tour the world giving lectures on graffiti style and teaching impressionable kids how to do adobe illustrator tags, are doing very well from selling graffiti as a product when they have never risked anything for it. By diect comparison I see someone like NYC's Stay High ,a hugly influencial bomber, struggling to get by.

Again this is why I mentioned Wane COD, He has put in alot to graffiti, and put his balls on the line over and over (He continues to do this now after how ever many years) so when he wants to make a graffiti product such as 'Writers Bench' it is highly justifyable.

Writing has continued to develop, as it should. From computers to canvas to clothing we've evolved as artists. (Yes, even you bombers are artists. Don't get me started on that arguement) Progression is a natural step if we want to keep fresh. That includes mediums and surfaces. If you choose to hit only the cuts, freights, legal walls or passenger trains... cool. Do you thing. Getting heated on a message board about clothing is useless. Stay the course and do your thing. [/b]

Yes the aesthetics of graffiti will continue to expand outside of the more traditional mediums but people (especialy writers) need to understand that once it has been taken outside of an illegal context it disregaurds Its Context and Comment, the 2 INgredients that make any Illegal ingredients a true form of art. Once these 2 ingredients have been removed it leaves graffiti as simply a stlye ,and although a refined style, it is weakend by that lack of ideoligy that is present with anygraffiti done on an illegal surface.

I would love to continue to write but im in a hurry, Hence my lack of spell check and proper editing.

Joker: please give me your feedback on this. Dont take it as an attack on your opinions just a catalyst for debate.

-def-

It's interesting how kids that write have such a natural tendancy to hold each other back. Perhaps, it's my ignorance to other subcultures that makes me feel like maybe writers are the only ones that really go out of their way to do this.

However, growing up, I spent almost an equal time amongst kids that skated. Though it's not the same, it has many parallels considering both are (were) considered countercultures, both are dominated by young males, both often center around ego and competition, and though not always, both are often illegal activities. I can recall when the skate culture felt threatened by the commercialization of the industry that supported it, though I dont really recall many gripes about 'skate' shirts. However, I also remember that most kids were quick to weed out the companies that were obviously trying to cash in on the culture versus the companies that were supplying quality product that eventually led to the culture (sport) evolving into the powerhouse it is today. The fly by night companies, the companies led by outsiders, and the ones distributing garbage are hardly a memory anymore, and you now have a whole slew of stuff that keeps the culture exciting and strong. Capitalism generally works like darwinism, where you usually end up with a survival of the fittest.

As stated, it's tough to compare skating to graff, but I feel the comparison in this case has some validity. With most the legitimate world looking to lynch writers (like they were with skaters back in the days), it seems writers would be more compelled to try and stick together and bring each other up, rather than expend so much energy to keep holding each other back, and by default, the culture itself. I'm not pro or against writers doing 'graff' shirts, but I think it's a shame to limit yourself over a stigma that's not really based on anything substantial. The culture won't play itself out over some shirts, or over some hipster design trend. You'll simply have the natural ebb and flow of popularity that most things cycle through in this world from politics, to art movements, to styles.

I say go do your thing and screw the preconceptions. If you deliver quality and integrity, those that matter will see it and hopefully support it. The sooner you drop your fucked up preconceptions, the sooner we can move on to more interesting and dynamic times.

Just my two cents™

Guest sneak

^^its funny you say that in your experience skating can be mixed with graff. im not disputing this, just that from what ive seen in my scene, skaters dont tend to be into graff.

graff seems to be done (again, im chatting about my scene) by fucking pikey rudeboys who think they are all that. i knew a few skater writers and they didnt last long. they got lined everything...

hell, i dont even know why im typing this.

what are you saying sneak?

I think that most of the writers I know got their first taste

of graffiti though the skate market as opposed to the hiphop

market. We were always checking out new board designs and

after the 'skull and bones' motif moved out, it seems like graf

moved in. With guys like Giant doing work for Think it would

make sence that the little skate monkeys would start to get an

eye for those styles.

truthfully, I got my first taste for graff from the whole Subway Art/Beat Street era, when both were new drops. However, graff at that time (at least in Miami) wasnt even strong enough to be considered a subculture yet. Rather it was a past time we did, that later kind of bonded a lot of us together as we moved up through skating and the punk/hard core scene. It didn't begin to have enough momentum to stand on it's own until about 89 or so from my experience. But like I said, I grew up in Miami, not the Bronx. I'm sure Europe was even more different.

Still doesnt rebute my arguement though.

Guest sneak

kilo, the thing you gotta know about my scene is that graff is a big thing for the stereotypical rudeboys.

the majority of the writers i know, dont listen to hip hop at all. they like ukgaage and dnb. skating tended to be seen as a"grunger" thing and for some reason there were no grunger writers.

this isnt that clear at all. if you dont get me, ask a specific q and ill try to expalin

Its funny Cause growing up for me, Skating and graffiti went almost hand in hand. Im sure it's different areas that tend to have different trends or associations, like sneaks saying about the views on skaters where hes at.

in my city there is quite a few sk8ing graff crews as sk8ing was more troditonly punk. its now in my area not hip hop culture but its what the kids are listing to hip hop so as they come in to hip hop they pick up over aspects such as graff saying that most of the crew who st8 are shit!

Guest sneak
Originally posted by Misteraven

Still doesnt rebute my arguement though.

i wasnt trying to have an arguement. just thought id share.

i suppose the main difference is that the area im from has a relativly young scene. we dont have old cats still hitting up. the heads who got me interested in graff are now in jail and dont write. plus we didnt get beat street and style wars when they came out.

god, im not making any sense today.

Well it really doesn't matter how people started doing grafitti,

weither it was because they happened to be around it or if they

just happend to see it and want to try doing it. This fourm illustrates

every day that people from all across the social spectrum got involved

and decided to stick it out. Raven's got a great point about how we

try to keep our little thing exclusive. That might exist in other scenes

where competition is involved, but those other scenes have matured.

If a new band sucks but they love the music, then people will tollerate

them. If a new skater cant ollie but he just loves to roll down hills, he's

not hated because he's doing it for the simple pleasure. However in our

scene people will cross ouy 'toys' just because they think that's how it's

supposed to be. That probably wont change, but maybe one day we'll be

able to loosen our tight grip on our precious little 'subculture' and we'll

get that new blood that keeps things from going stagnant.

.02 indeed.

Archived