graffiti fashion

niso

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://unconsume.tripod.com

i cant get to the above site due to too much traffic!!

post some flicks here so we can see what your talking about.

thanks. [/b]

Yeah I know, tripod sucks balls for having a weak bandwidth limit... but I just dont have the time right now to upload them all to fotango or some shit... anyway in the future I will work on lowering the image sizes and possibly using a better host.

Yo raven thanks for the props.

Peace.

Guest KING BLING

I wont link the pics but its a Josh, Twist billboard with a picture of a guy doing a RYZE tag - youve seen it just like the CKone bottles....

Billboard found on LaBrea Ave. in Los Angeles....

Take notice of the small Nike symbol on the lower right corner that

can easily be overlooked when viewing the advertisement from far away.

In the magazine article below, Calvin Klein commissioned graffiti artists

to design fragrance bottles. Although graffiti isnt apparent as a technique

to sell a product as shown in the Nike ad above, certainly Calvin Klein

has similar strategies for marketing "the look" of graffiti,

without representing graffiti. A safe and user friendly version, maybe

more likely to catch the eyes of the consumer and return a profit.

NOTE: The depictions of the bottles only show one side of the design.

I had some questions for ESPO about that middle finger character on the bottle and tons of other shit came up during the discussion about the CKOne commisioned project that is important for everyone to take a look at...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAUS: Hey ESPO, I wanted to know your position on undertaking this opportunity.

ESPO: I was actually avoiding taking it until people told me what a big Shot Fabian Baron was and I should jump at the chance to work with him. He was the designer on the original CKone bottle and responsible partly for the print campaign with the heroin-chic models

DAUS: I also wanted to know if there was a particular angle that the company approached you three with, or if there was some standard of design they were imposing on you guys - for instance "no graffiti letters - think more along the lines of graphic design".

ESPO: No, I had a couple of sketch book pages filled with ideas. the first one was a dog sniffing another dog's butt and the back of the bottle said "you smell nice". From that first mean idea, they just got worse and worse, over the course of the 2 pages. I sold him on the idea of the three models (based on that notorious CKone campaign) on the front of the bottle, (btw, they are letters) while the fouth letter on the back was to be a fat guy eating chicken. he wouldn't let the middle finger guy go, so he combined the two. So the models on the front are couture and the guy on the back is punk rock, but it's all fashion, and it says espo. it's a joke, a diss, a statement and a name all in one.

DAUS: I do have a question about CK's intentions and your feelings about them. Obviously they wanted to hire graffiti artists to design the bottles but why do you think they wanted to do that? To sell more bottles of CKOne? I doubt it especially since the designs I have seen dont really refference graffiti besides the fact that they are designed by graff artists. I imagine that the majority of people who buy CK products dont even know who you guys are. So going back to my drawn out question, why do you think CK hired graffiti artists and how do you feel about it all?

ESPO: I think it was a good way for them to pump some new interest in the brand. I think it's already generated a good amount of publicity, so sales may be secondary. They were interested in using artists from a variety of sectors, and graffiti works since it's something the kids are naturally interested in. It was another opportunity to play myself, but thanks to CK letting me be me, I was able to get over one more time. It's also set a standard for any other company who wants to deal with me, so I'm cool with all of it. I gotta shout out Chris Johanson, he handles the commercial work with sarcasm and flair. We are all at work trying to navigate the commercial straits without getting played. I know theres a ton of corny graff merchandizing, but as long as the people you know and love are coming correct, things are good. Besides, with writers getting hauled off to jail, we need all the wack commercial merchandizing we can get, anything to make people stop demonizing graff. More commercials, more museum shows, and maybe the soccer moms and dads will calm down.

runway models

Graff on clothing has been here since..say late 70's with gang mnames on the backs of jean jackets.Then with breakers doing sweatpants and hats and all that.I remember in 87 running into a top profile writer on the bus and guess fucking what...he was rocking a trucker hat with his name airbrushed on it in blockletters and a cheech wizard.This was how I met him...Anyhow..this was in 1987..so fast forward to 2003, and the internet and some conversation about fashion and graff.As a writer, sure I am cool off of advertising that I write for obvious reasons, yet have a good collection of shirts done by writers.Hey, even writers such as: BATES,GREY,AMAZE,SEEN,ETC...ETC....have all done shirts and clothing designs as have myself.And in the long run it really doesn't matter one bit.All those who buy it for fashion coolness will throw it away when the next trend comes in, and the people who bought it for the right reasons will still have them. It is only clothes, and real wirters know what the fucking deal is anyhow...let some people get paid..fuck it..

a blank white t is the best anyhow...

• 2 months later...

Prints from an Australian graff label. Blank clothing.

http://www.blanktm.com/m/2prod/websept03images/pd1r.jpg'>

http://www.blanktm.com/m/2prod/websept03images/plower.jpg'>

http://www.blanktm.com/m/2prod/prints/2newenglishpt2.jpeg'>

http://www.blanktm.com/m/2prod/prints/6aceofspades.jpeg'>

This text is lifted from the website.

"Blank began with 20 t-shirts and 20 hooded sweats, hand screened by us in May 1995. We wanted to put graffiti prints on the best quality Aust made clothing at a better price than the imported stuff going around at the time.

The name "Blank" because us or our friends were into graffiti, skating, hardcore, hip hop or whatever and we wanted a name that had no boundaries.

With no formal training but a love for all the things we do, Blank is still run by us and we do most of the designing ourselves except for the special guest artists from around Australia we like.

The contents of this website, clothing, graffiti, skateboarding, tattoos and music probably interest you, that's why you're here. If you are here for one thing, you will hopefully enjoy or appreciate the other things."

This label is now one of Australia's biggest skate/street labels and is rocked by every man and his dog. And it was all started by a couple of local writers.

Blank

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...