Welcome to paradise aka seekings old playground

Kettiecat

ten years ago, you could get them for back taxes (couple grand). now a days, they're starting to be expensive for some reason. of course 'expensive' is relative, but nothing like what they used to be.

the problem is finding one that is in a half way decent area, that is salvagable.

realisticly speaking though, and this is just a total guess, but i'd say you could get a 5 bedroom victorian style house on a block that you probably wont be shot on, and that is half way livable, for 45-65.

i could be way off though, so dont pull out your savings and head on over, but i think its realistic.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ubejinxed

http://www.fatcap.co.uk/host/files/train%20station.jpg'>

is this whole thing abandoned?

yah i'd love to renovate one of those houses. it would be majestic if it was done right. man.

THIS WAS probably answered somewhere...but yes that is all abandoned but in the last few weeks the mayor announced that the city is going to buy it and renovate it and turn it into the new Detroit police headquarters.

• 1 month later...

alot of the people posting here sound very naive.

"abandonded houses and crack dealers.. its my dream city"

I can tell the majority of u ppl have spent most of ur life in a quit suburban envoirment but let me tell u sumtin. it might seem "cool" at first but when u stay around decay for to long it starts to devlope into a depressed mentality, you fell like you will never leave and there is no point to just give up on everything.. it might sound hard 2 believe for abunch of people who might have spent there days growing up in a well maintaned 2 doored garaged clean house. but it happens. i dont think any of the ppl living in poverty in detriot think its there "dream city"

Originally posted by 2BLAZZED

i like the 313 when i was there sum pretty gurls....shitty ass graffiti tho.,..

Right, girls reppin those Lincoln Park bangs...

I swear to god the 313 has always and will always

collectively have the world's most dense population

of insanely gawdy forehead hair in the world.

As far as paint in the 313 goes.. who're you

kidding? Psh, they've got their own Sane.

:lol: :lick:

to anyone interested in detroit and its history, i am just about done reading a book about detroit history called

"the origins of urban crisis(race and inequality in postwar detroit)" by thomas j. sugrue. its is an amazing historical account of detroit and its decline. for you history buffs. well worth the read.

Originally posted by I R NET GANG

alot of the people posting here sound very naive.

"abandonded houses and crack dealers.. its my dream city"

I can tell the majority of u ppl have spent most of ur life in a quit suburban envoirment but let me tell u sumtin. it might seem "cool" at first but when u stay around decay for to long it starts to devlope into a depressed mentality, you fell like you will never leave and there is no point to just give up on everything.. it might sound hard 2 believe for abunch of people who might have spent there days growing up in a well maintaned 2 doored garaged clean house. but it happens. i dont think any of the ppl living in poverty in detriot think its there "dream city"

very good observation, and even better point. right on.

he's right to a certain extent, but he's also taking things a bit out of context.

anyone that is glorifying crack and that bullshit, i'll agree, did not grow up on a block that had cats posted up on the corners dealing. however, there is so many parts of detroit that are honestly even beyond crack and ghetto's...spots that are seriously some mad maxx beyond thunderdome waste land shit. whole complexes of abandoned buildings (packard), blocks where time stopped in the 80's, the people walked away, and no one has set foot back in it. when i talk about the decay i love, and the destitution and all that, that's what i'm talking about... and that sort of stuff is beyond ghetto, surviving in its own world. just today i spent the whole afternoon rummaging through an abandoned building right on the waterfront, painting and looking for scrap metal. theres really no other city in the country that ive ever seen, that matches detroits landscape and climate. yes, of course there are very bad areas and people living miserable existences, but the things photographed in this thread, and i think the thing that people are drawn to in detroit, is just that...it really is like a city that time forgot about in many ways. it's like an elephant gravyard...giant corpses of buildings, overgrown land...we have fucking pheasants in the middle of detroit for christ sakes. they're almost extinct in the rest of the state, but detroit's got them en mass....that doesnt happen in other cities.

anyway, i agree that 9/10th's of the cats that claim detroit, or talk about how cool it is, did grow up in the scenario you painted, but not everyone. i didnt grow up in the city, but i sure as fuck didnt grow up in any suburban wonderland.

seeks/the grass is always greener

Originally posted by seeking

he's right to a certain extent, but he's also taking things a bit out of context.

anyone that is glorifying crack and that bullshit, i'll agree, did not grow up on a block that had cats posted up on the corners dealing. however, there is so many parts of detroit that are honestly even beyond crack and ghetto's...spots that are seriously some mad maxx beyond thunderdome waste land shit. whole complexes of abandoned buildings (packard), blocks where time stopped in the 80's, the people walked away, and no one has set foot back in it. when i talk about the decay i love, and the destitution and all that, that's what i'm talking about... and that sort of stuff is beyond ghetto, surviving in its own world. just today i spent the whole afternoon rummaging through an abandoned building right on the waterfront, painting and looking for scrap metal. theres really no other city in the country that ive ever seen, that matches detroits landscape and climate. yes, of course there are very bad areas and people living miserable existences, but the things photographed in this thread, and i think the thing that people are drawn to in detroit, is just that...it really is like a city that time forgot about in many ways. it's like an elephant gravyard...giant corpses of buildings, overgrown land...we have fucking pheasants in the middle of detroit for christ sakes. they're almost extinct in the rest of the state, but detroit's got them en mass....that doesnt happen in other cities.

anyway, i agree that 9/10th's of the cats that claim detroit, or talk about how cool it is, did grow up in the scenario you painted, but not everyone. i didnt grow up in the city, but i sure as fuck didnt grow up in any suburban wonderland.

seeks/the grass is always greener

yeah.. I guess for some people it's a hobby to go venture into abandonded stuff, but thats just there personality.. when I was grownin.. walking to school I would see apperments boolted up and apperments on stores with holes in the windows falling appart.. it never intersted me to go inside. It's just was depressing for me to see decay. so for me to go to detriot now wouldn't be something very appeling.

yeah, detroit has the largest middle eastern population outside the middle east. (i would have just said arabic, but wasn't sure if every brown person from the middle east is considered arabic, sorry)

for the most part, people get along. like most places, people kind of stick to their own usually. the only real interaction i have with them is either at clubs, where they're pretty notorious for being complete fucking assholes, or at gas stations and liquor stores, which they literally happen to own just about all of.

after 9/11, maybe surprisingly, things were pretty chill here... there was very little anti-arabic backlash. i think mostly because it's not like they all just moved in in 99 or something. we're all kind of used to eachothers presence, and theres never been any real racial tension on a wide scale...atleast not since i've been alive.

one thing we have here, which apparently no one else in the country has, is chaldeans(sp?). that's some special shit....when i spoke about the assholes at clubs, 90% of the time, if they're arab and starting a fight, it's a chaldean. and since they're all sponsored into the country, they have 100 cousins, and they all happen to go to the same places in large groups, wearing alot of drahkar, calling women bitches and driving mercedes...

you can tell me im just being stereotypical, but anyone from here, arabs included, will tell you i'm pretty much right on. it's almost comical how true it is. of course there are some that are cool too, but as with most cases, they sort of get drowned out by the assholes.

one thing we have here, which apparently no one else in the country has, is chaldeans(sp?). that's some special shit....when i spoke about the assholes at clubs, 90% of the time, if they're arab and starting a fight, it's a chaldean. and since they're all sponsored into the country, they have 100 cousins, and they all happen to go to the same places in large groups, wearing alot of drahkar, calling women bitches and driving mercedes...

you can tell me im just being stereotypical, but anyone from here, arabs included, will tell you i'm pretty much right on. it's almost comical how true it is. of course there are some that are cool too, but as with most cases, they sort of get drowned out by the assholes.

Fun Fact #151:

The "Chaldean" is synonomyous with "Henry Ford Community College Student Body".

Detroit doesn't have the motivation to be racially

charged... if you're a white person who grew

up in the metropolitan Detroit area... odds are

you'd rather deal with a questionable black/

brown vagrant at 2 am than you would a sketchy

white dude.. "blacks", (damn that feels dumb)

for the most part seem like they just want to

be left alone and as long as you don't intrude

you'll be fine, it's the white trash Hamtramack

baseheads youreally want to look out for...

Just one kid's opinion.. I've been on welfare

in the area and I've lived in the surrounding

suburbs, I think I have an okay grip on it.

Originally posted by 26SidedCube

[bif you're a white person who grew

up in the metropolitan Detroit area... odds are

you'd rather deal with a questionable black/

brown vagrant at 2 am than you would a sketchy

white dude.. [/b]

super true.

generally speaking, black guys, no matter how thugged out or ghetto looking, will give you a 'knod' and a 'sup', where as white trash gangsters, which we have a plethora of, are the ones that will start shit with you just for living. i've been in some pretty bad areas, at some pretty sketchy liquor stores, and honestly, the only time i ever feel real uncomfortable is when there are some fubu wearing white kids around.

black guys, if anything, will just sort of look at you and shake their head, like 'what the fuck white boy doin over here'.

hahahahahahahahaha.that shit made my day.chaldeans...how did they just all end up around detroit? dearborn has a huge leboneise(i definetly spelled that wrong) population. and yes ive lived around here for a while and when i walk into a gas station i almost expect to see a middle eastern dude sitting there. ive been pretty much all over the area and its pretty much the same everywhere.detroits northwestern suburbs are filthy with chaldeans. theres some white trash lurking around everywhere and i would definetly rather encounter a black guy at a gas station late at night who just wanted to come in for a blunt wrap than some fat armpit stain shirt wearing hoochiemama.detroit is a world of its own.

Archived