Welcome to paradise aka seekings old playground

Kettiecat

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah one of these days SOMEONE has to bomb that thing it would just be so pointless and funny, sad thing is they would have to flic it right after cause I doubt anyone would even see it

The people mover is NOT a transit system ...it was goign to be one...but they stopped building it...so it has like 4 stops

Originally posted by Kettiecat

Yeah one of these days SOMEONE has to bomb that thing it would just be so pointless and funny, sad thing is they would have to flic it right after cause I doubt anyone would even see it

The people mover is NOT a transit system ...it was goign to be one...but they stopped building it...so it has like 4 stops

Yeah 4 stops is better than nothing, hahahha

and yeah its all about the flick, not much runs in Australia except in melbourne but ppl paint the cityrail systems in all the other capital citys on the regular anyway, even if 3mins is all you get.

Its all about getting over, blah blah blah, im sure you have heard it all before.

devils night... that used to be insane!!

peole mover, more like the person mover... when the blew up the hudson skyscraper downtown, the debris from the building fell on the track and walls, but the city took like a year before they repaired it so it shut down for a bit and then for a while instead of going in a circle it went back and forth...haha its just like a one-two mile loop around downtown.

http://www.thepeoplemover.com/images/PM2.jpg'>

Originally posted by DIBS

like i said, this is stuff i have been told, i may have some of it wrong.

sounds pretty good, except the car factories weren't just moving, they had done more of that earlier on, they were more shutting down in huge numbers in and around the city in the 80's with the whole new interest in foreign cars and economic woes...

just saw roger and me, by michael moore, again the other night, that was more about flint, just north of detroit but it showed the hurt that the economy, auto companies and people were going thru in the whole area.... great documentary, check it out defstar and everybody.

hey dibs i met you at least once way back in the a2 galleries, must of been 95ish, wouldn't be surprised if you don't remember, i was just starting at that time, just thought it was odd that you're that dibs, small world....

Originally posted by nomadawhat

sounds pretty good, except the car factories weren't just moving, they had done more of that earlier on, they were more shutting down in huge numbers in and around the city in the 80's with the whole new interest in foreign cars and economic woes...

hey dibs i met you at least once way back in the a2 galleries, must of been 95ish, wouldn't be surprised if you don't remember, i was just starting at that time, just thought it was odd that you're that dibs, small world....

yes, that is exactly what i was trying to get at about the factories, i just could not spit it out quite as nicely. thanks.

as for meeting, eh, im sure we did, at that time i met alot of people, in detroit and a2. but it does get hard to remember and internet personas make it even more dificult. it is a small world though.

another thing i ment to add about the devils night fires, was that this was part of coleman youngs plan to "rebuild"detroit, the fires being used to clear up the real estate for new building projects that never quite came to be. the fires seemed like a much more "cost effective" way of demolition rather than bulldozers etc like the traditional ways.

does anyone remember coleman youngs funeral/wake at the black history museum? thousands upun thousands of detroiters came to pay thier respects, mostly from the african american community, lined up for blocks, sometimes waiting outside in the rain. he was very dear to the people dispite his failures. he did do great things for the african amercan community at the beggining/first half of his very long term in office.

Guest mescaline
Originally posted by -->Def$tar!

Yeah thanks for the link, it was pretty informative.

So Detroit no longer has any kind of city rail system?

What an amazing place, I am really interested in this city.

For the people that live there is it hard to get work still?

Who are the most up writers in Detroit?

When I was in the US I drove through a few citys like Knoxville that looked as if it had a raging industry in the 50s or so but then just died out, I was amazed by the Old abandond citys in the center of the city, actually I stopped over in Knoxville and dropped a 10 min peice on the side of an abondond building next to a railyard, I dont know if this is a usual thing to do but it was about 3 or 4 in the afternoon , I was in full veiw of a mainroad but there was no problem at all.

I got a photo of a mesko peice around the corner on the same building.

but it seems as if other once booming citys seem to just waiting to die!

yea, knoxvilles a funny place, it was a booming city in the early 1900's all the way through the 50

s and 60's in fact, the worlds fair actually came here in '81 and since then this place has just kinda stalled out. but, that makes for some prime bombing areas. as well as a nice dilapitated, slummy atmosphere.

Guest smokin joe

ive lived in detroit my whole life. i have nothing to say but, this.

there is no other place id rather live. its not cluttered with writers, there are few but they are good at what they do.

politically speaking, detroit should be one of the most successful cities, being it one of the largest, its not because of its choice for mayors.

the people mover cant be hit. there are i believe 4 cars total, all of which are locked up inside a closed garage when not in service. there are cameras inside the cars, and on every platform, monitored 24 hours a day by officers who can be in the station within minutes. even if a car was to stop on the tracks for some reason, you'd have to figure out a way to climb two stories in the air, to get to it. and even if you could somehow get it done, you could never write that name again and you would totally burn out the scene for the whole city. cops here dont just arrest you, they'll beat you down, then arrest you. it would so not be worth it.

defstar,

the 80's were a really, really bad time in detroit. theres a book about a gang, YBI 'young boys incorporated'. if you can get a copy, its an interesting read. they pretty much created the rules for the crack trade as america knew it. this was during our rein as 'murder capital'. they pretty much just killed anyone and everyone.

couple random things... as dibs said, it was refered to as 'the paris of the west', but initially, the comparisons were brought about because detroit was modeled after the lay out of paris itself. grand circus park being the 'hub' of the whole thing. detroit is french, and supposed to be pronounced 'day-twa'.

the big decline of the city, happend after the riots in 68, when all the whites started moving out, but also kept their jobs in the city. black folks could now move out of their shit living accomidations into these bbig, victorian style houses, but had to keep their bulshit low paying jobs. the upkeep provved to be too expensive, no one would give them loans, so they all fell to shit. meanwhile the suburbs flourished.

and the auto plants didnt move to the suburbs, they moved to mexico and japan. detroit, which used to produce the vast majority of cars for the world, now makes less than 1%.

couple that wiith a striing of bad, corrupt politicians, and its all down the drain.

colman young was a memeber of the famed 'tuskeegee airmen', the black fighter pilots from ww2, made famous by the movie of the same name featuring lawrence fishburn. he was also famous for telling people flat out to 'fuck off', in those words if thats how he felt.

my head hurts.

some numbers i ran across today from the free press:

Restoring Detroit

Here are a few numbers to remind us of how far Detroit has fallen:

-Detroit's population was 1.85 million in 1950, or nearly 30 percent of all Michigan's people. Detroit has lost half its residents since then, and is now home to less than 10 percent of Michigan's people.

-From 1970 to 2000, Detroit lost 37 percent of its population, but the number of city residents filing income tax returns dropped 55 percent during that period. In other words, the people with money were leaving; poor people were not.

-Businesses bailed out even faster. From 1972 to 1997, the number of retail shops in Detroit fell from 9,768 to 2,253, and manufacturing firms dropped from 2,398 to 825. Despite the pro-business tone set by former Detroit Mayor Dennis Archer, the rate of business flight from 1992 to 1997, which included much of Archer's first term in office, was virtually unchanged from the previous two decades under former Mayor Coleman Young.

-Employment in Detroit dropped 15 percent from 1980 to 2002. During the same period, employment grew 100 percent in Livingston County; 60 percent in Oakland County; 50 percent in Macomb and 31 percent in Washtenaw County.

You get the drift.

-Only one statistic -- property value -- offers empirical evidence that Detroit may have hit bottom and could be starting to bounce back.

The value of all taxable property in Detroit, adjusted for inflation, had declined for 24 consecutive years from 1972 to 1996. Detroit's property lost three-fourths of its value over that time.

But starting in the 1996-97 fiscal year, Detroit's taxable property value has risen for seven straight years, for a total seven-year gain of 35 percent in actual dollars, 13 percent in inflation-adjusted dollars.

you can still buy property in detroit for nothing more than back taxes.

a 6 bedroom house, can be rented for about $600 bucks. now granted, its gonna be ghetto, but regardless. 4 bedrooms in decent neighborhoods are around $1000, give or take. i used to stay in a loft, i dont remember the exact footage, but it was a former dentists office, so it was fairly decent sized, it was $350 a month.

you get the picture...

seeks/dentists of doom

i have been to practically every dam city in these united states.. and ive lived in downtown detroit for practically all my life.. there is no other city like detroit.. evrybody says fuck detroit fuck detroit. blah blah blah.. but this city is "FUCKED UP" we held the title "murder capital" for more than five years in a row.. and have been the champ offf and on for most of twenty years. you cant really hear about this place.. you have to see it for yopurselves.. its amazing.. soooo fucked up.. i lived in chitown for 5 months and came back here and was completely shocked once again// as soon as i was wearing off my "intimidation" of walking my white ass around the streets alone. i come back and it starts over. besides maybe two small parts of this city.. (boston edison district and indian village) (and thats even kinda fucked) it is one big ghetto..

the people mover will never be hit. it is virtually impossible.they only chill at one spot and its in a building, you couldnt get more than 30 seconds alone with it if you tried.and even that would be heavily survielled. if someone hit it i would buy them pizza for a week.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh boy, maybe if this piece of shit computer would post fliks for me, I could share with you my photo collection of burnt out abandoned crack rental cars ditched the side of the street-no shit, I see a new one almost every day But you have to wonder about the stripped out abandoned boats on the side of the street, a Detroit original! This one on Mt. Elliot a while back, that shit ran for a whole year! Where was Mike Duggan:confused: He could start a campign for re-election, with a slogan like,"Mike Duggan was There" or some shit. And then there would be a picture of the homie Mike D. with a shovel cleaning up some illegal dump in an alley, or driving some hookers to rehab, and cleaning up some graffiti off the walls, or shuttin down some crackhouses, maybe on a backhoe tearin' down some old vacant house, and then at the end of the TV commercial he'd look at the camera and that shit would say, "Mike Duggan was There" ;)

..and then the cheap fucks tell the people to volunteer to clean up shit that the city should take care of!!! Population: 925,000 and dwindling. Try taking a ride on the woodward bus line or the crosstown or other busy route at prime time. Welcome to hell. Try taking the same bus on a school day in the morning or when class gets out. Yo, I'd rather walk. What's funny is that if all of a sudden lets say even 10 percent of the commuters with cars wanted to take the bus, you'd have a fucking crisis---but the worst was, one hot day, on the woodward bus filled with perhaps a hundred people, some dumb motherfucker busted off one of those sulphur fart bomb things. That shit was foul:mad: Oh well, we all know that the 2006 Super Bowl will save us.:rolleyes: Thank god these fucks are 'sprucing up' eastbound 94 from the airport, so that all these jackasses coming in for the game will have something nice to look at....clowns. And they can eat at johnny rockets, I heard they have one in Cancun and Detroit!!! Or maybe if were real lucky, that new hard rock cafe will open and pave the way for some other theme based restaraunts!!! Halle-fuckinluljah.. Oh well, what the fuck do we care--I'll just kick back and crank up the AC in my Lafayette yuppie loft with dreams of urban street cred dancing through my head. Nah, just kidding. I'm really jewish and live in Bloomfield Hills.

Guest xylene2020

this is seriously the dopest post ive seen in a really long time....these flicks are great.......is there anyway we could get a little b dawg, gsm up in here though..

• 1 month later...

I never thought I'd ever say it... but I fucking miss it! Too bad I'm banned from Michigan for the next 7 years...

Someone should creep down into Del Rae sometime and snag a few pictures, if you dare.

When I was 13 my friend's neighbor (who owned two strip clubs and a chop shop) took us to D. Rae to show us 'why you don't do drugs.' Long story short, from leaving the car to walking up to this 'house' the guy had to show he was holding to some curious on-lookers (keep in mind it was an alcoholic 30-something year old and 3 scrawny white kids),as soon as we walk in the house... 6 adults, in their 40s, pots boiling over on the stove, freebasing, roaches on the counter and something like 4 kids in a playpen in the living room/ trash suppository...

I've also been in a few pursuits in places I never should have been...

I've checked the locks on my car more than once in broad daylight while trying to find my way out of less 'wholesome' neighborhoods.

Fun fact: If you're white and in Detroit you can run any non-major red light after dark. The police (whom the recently did a background check, because someone in the dept. wasn't, to find something like 33 were felons) know if you're on the wrong side of the color wheel you shouldn't be stopped in any one place longer than a few seconds. I didn't understand why people never stopped at redlights in the D until I got my own car.

Kettie, this thread's red-head-dog-shaving fucking fantastic. Keep it up.

you can also "change" red lights to green lights in some places by flashing your high beams.. if you dare. I chose truth though. dares became too complicated and confusing.. like, I dare you to lick that frozen lamp post.. well.. no. I refuse. HA HA. then you have to tell the truth.

also. detroit IS the most "french" city in america. want to go to paris? then do you goddamn expatriate. it's not about nationalism. it's about free speech. learn about why eminem kinged the world with his many alter-egos. 8 Mile is just a name for his geographical location. the world is FLAT. just like my soda.

fuck time.

Some breathtaking flicks shown

Detroit reminds so much of the greater Pittsburgh area -- that blank, empty, deindustrialized feeling left hovering over everything.

There's a town called Braddock outside of Pittsburgh where a good number of steel mills used to operate and employ thousands of workers. Right now it looks almost identical to a lot of the places shown in this thread. Certain street corners still have old ice-cream parlors from the 40s and 50s sitting on them, virtually untouched since they were abandoned. Broken brick buildings and giant, rusted out factories everywhere. Anyone interested in American history could spend days just staring at things in places like this.

What a fucking shame.

• 5 months later...

Really like this thread, what happened to this Place was it rich once (just saying that cos all the abandoned houses are huge)..Sorry if someone has already explained kinda just got taken in by the pics..Thread revival time.:king:

if you read my post earlier up on the page, it pretty much explains it in a nut shell.

also check the posts from dibs. there might be some other worthwhile posts, but ours are the only ones i can think of without re-reading.

Archived