Welcome to paradise aka seekings old playground

Kettiecat

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

couple things..

http://www.fatcap.co.uk/host/files/housebw.jpg'>

if you guys had any idea how many buildings look exactly like this, honestly, youd shit. there are some shitty, fuckd up cities in america, but ive yet to come across anyplace that can match detroits decay.

http://detroityes.com/art/03cave_entrance.jpg'>

ok, you guys are gonna love this one. you guys know the show 'punkd' with ashton? ok, you know the guy 'dax' thats on there? he was naked in the store with jessica alba, and gave the girl the tattoo? ok, he's from michigan and used to be best friends with my old room mate. the car in this picture sat in our driveway (1 block off 8 mile to be exact) forever. dax was working on making a movie, so we gave it to him. the thing was a piece of shit, but somehow he got it started, and eventually, drove it about 8 miles into the center of detroit, and then drove it off the edge of a 15 foot embankment down into this ravine, where me, dibs, dubl and ogre (for those interested in local graff history) set it on fire with a can of chrome and a lighter. none of us had set a car on fire before, so we were at all prepaired for the insane amount of caustic black smoke that shoots up from such a thing. within minutes the fire trucks were circling us, and we were sure we were gonna go to jail...but we didnt. the side of that shows the remains of a dubl throw. the abandoned rail bed where this is taken, which sees roughly half a dozen abandoned cars a year, is the 'area' where everyone has painted for the last ten years. well, now its kind of a waste of time, but back in the day, this spot was 'the shit' for pieces. also, a couple hundred yards from this car, i found a dead body once. i called 911, but they hung up on me twice cause they couldnt accept that there werent cross streets. finally i had to meet the cops at the grocery store and take them down there. oh man. that was funny. to get down into the area, you have to hop a fence and climb down a steep embankment filled with trees and garbage. it's ill. the cops were not stoked. i wound up having to sit there with the cops for 2 hours waiting for the detective, since i was the only 'witness'. i then had to go down to the station and file a report. dudes office was insane. it was straight out of the 50's...desk, filing cabinets, etc. but not like, well preserved...the whole thing was held together with scotch tape and string, no joke.

ok, thats all about that.

http://detroityes.com/downtown/38michtheat_pan.jpg'>

anyone who saw 8mile will remember this as the 'parking lot' where they parked before going into 'st.andrews' which was not st. andrews at all. this place used to be an incredible theater that got turned into a parking lot. its fucking insane. ive never been inside, but you can see in from the outside. pretty nuts. the outside of 'st.andrews', which also was not the actual outside of it, was one block from my the apartment i lived in back in 94-95.

ok, thats all.

wow the population really fell off, it's near the population levels of the 1920s!

1874 101,255

1880 116,340

1884 132,956

1890 205,876

1894 237,798

1900 285,704

1904 317,591

1910 465,766

1920 993,678

1930 1,568,662

1950 1,849,568

1960 1,670,144

1970 1,511,482

1980 1,203,339

1990 1,027,974

2000 951,270

Originally posted by ubejinxed

wow. some of those buildings were so nice, great architecture. makes me sad. damn i would love to have a house in a style like those, here.

if i ever get enough money before they tear it down there is this building that is all brick and looks like a castle i want to buy it and renovate it its is my dream home.

my dad told me a story once.

back in college he went to Detroit (i'm not sure which one, but they have a basketball team called the Spartans), he was walking out of a bank, and some guy and his midgit friend tried to rob my dad. well the guy told the midgit to beat my dads ass, my dad casually laughed and asked the guy if he was serious.(the guy had his hand in the shape of a gun inside his pocket) the guy proceeded to "try" and take my dads money, but my dad laughed and walked away.

and another one.

my dad's old room mate had to ride his bike to college every day, and he was comming back from school and saw a shoot-out containing ONE man with a 12 gauge, and 5 cops with pistols. i don't remember all the details, but the guy was killed(obviously) and my dad's room mate came home safely.

i'm going to have to visit detroit when i get my liscense.:idea:

ubej,

yup, its the old detroit train station, its been abandoned since...84 or 85 i believe. it's fucking huge. supposidly they're working on renovating it. we'll see. as long as ive lived there, i've never been inside of it, even though i used to drive passed it 3 or 4 times a week. oh well.

krook,

spartans are MSU's team, thats lansing, about hour and a half north of detroit.

is this whole thing abandoned?

yes!! you used to be able to get into it and go to the roof...shit was crazy! go here and do the detour buttons to see more: MI Central Station

Kettie, are you talking about that castle I posted way up.... that is an awsome building!!!

I've seen and heard so much crazy shit happen in the D. I never lived in the city but spent much time there.... saw some large fights, crazy bum rushes, was at a few parties that got shot up or raided, cop comes in guns a blazing thorwing peeps to the floor, (rave parties, or as the cops labeled some..sex parties??) had my car broken into 3 times out there (don't leave a penny in sight), saw 3 cars box a car in on the lodge freeway and the people got at and just started smashing on this guys car... too many stories... like i said earlier, that city puts a spell on you. scored my first tips (learned what tips were) and mags in de-twah.

wow the population really fell off, it's near the population levels of the 1920s!

1874 101,255

1880 116,340

1884 132,956

1890 205,876

1894 237,798

1900 285,704

1904 317,591

1910 465,766

1920 993,678

1930 1,568,662

1950 1,849,568

1960 1,670,144

1970 1,511,482

1980 1,203,339

1990 1,027,974

2000 951,270

yeah, even though the pop. started to decline earlier there was a riot in 1967 that caused quite the 'white flight' that never much stopped (this was the start of the whole 8-mile seperation thing)... today detroit has the highest percentage of african-americans in a city over 100,000, 83%. in 1990 they had to redo there census count to get it above 1,000,000 to get more gov't funds. hopefully the next census the downward trend reverses. they are finally statrting to try... they just annocued they are renovation an old abandonned hotel down town, the cadillac hotel...

bc-1.jpg

the big one in middle

bc-4.jpg

i remember approaching a rush hour traffic jam in detroit. cars that were entering the highway from the on-ramp would stop, throw the car in reverse and drive backwards on the on-ramp to avoid the jam. i imagine this a common thing but i've never seen this done anywhere else.

detroit reminds me of the movie "robocop", anyone know if it was shot there?

How much did the decline of American car sales have to do with the abandoning of Detriot?

I mean the population figures are extreme, surely this riot couldnt have been the catalyst for that significant an xodus.

My mum and sister traveled though on a bus years ago, they came back telling me stories about waiting in the bus stop and the security guys said not to go outside becuase there were gangs dealing crack and people fighting and shit out there. Made for a good story anyway.

Hook me up some more local history, Im really diggin this!

man this is great seeing detroit, i love it, miss it alot. defenitly from what i have been told of local history the riots were the start of the decline, i the early part of the century detroit used to be refered to as "the paris of the west". i have seen pictures of that time and it looked like a bustling new york scene. ive been told the white flight mainly occured durring the mid to late seventies. durring the eighties we started havving devils night. the night before halloween( you local detroiters know all this but surprising to me alot of people out side of michigan have never heard of it) anyways, the mayor at the time coleman young, had a major real estate crisis on his hands, to clear up land and abandonded homes/realestate, he hired on the hush hush, local street gangs to set these vacant homes etc on fire, in mass, basically the whole city would burn, any of us, like seeking, who are old enough to remember this period can testify to the chaos of the devils nights of the eighties. but what i think really did the city in is when the big 3 moved its last remaining auto factories out to the far suburbs and left these enourmous factories downtown vacant and many people out of work. mid eighties the trainstation closed down, leaving detroit with out a center of travel basically. like i said, this is stuff i have been told, i may have some of it wrong. that detroit ruins site is a great wealth of detroit history.

I:love:Detroit.

SAY NICE THINGS ABOUT DETROIT!

Originally posted by nomadawhat

Def$tar.. here's a good read about what lead to the decline.... I knew it wasn't all about the riots but that has always been brought up as a turning point in the city's history....

Orgins of Decline

Yeah thanks for the link, it was pretty informative.

So Detroit no longer has any kind of city rail system?

What an amazing place, I am really interested in this city.

For the people that live there is it hard to get work still?

Who are the most up writers in Detroit?

When I was in the US I drove through a few citys like Knoxville that looked as if it had a raging industry in the 50s or so but then just died out, I was amazed by the Old abandond citys in the center of the city, actually I stopped over in Knoxville and dropped a 10 min peice on the side of an abondond building next to a railyard, I dont know if this is a usual thing to do but it was about 3 or 4 in the afternoon , I was in full veiw of a mainroad but there was no problem at all.

I got a photo of a mesko peice around the corner on the same building.

It seemed as if there was a strong sence of apathy in the air.

Somthing that blew me away was how these bulshit little suburban communitystownships seemed to florish for hours outside chicago and other major citys where these old previously established citys seemed to decay.

I tend to associate a strong sence of culture with the strength of the affinity of a citys population with the aesthetics and activitys of that city, hence NY as the Hip Hop cultural capital of the world, but it seems as if other once booming citys seem to just waiting to die!

I don't live in detroit but I work there and I just drive my car in everyday liek everyone else and park it in a garage like everyone else. I've seem busses driving around and people waiting at bus stops, but I have never personally set foot on one.

Off the top of my head some of the most up writers in detroit

hues

army

grim

gram

esau

tead

iges

kasto

stori

shit i'm sure i'm forgetting some huge ones, skew is up all over, but eh thats what i think of off the top

oh and don't forget we have the people mover....ha...what a joke..

adding afew notables:

justo

turtle

kosek

fohr

wafl

dibs

seeking, i did the math: we were both living in the building at the same time, the only difference is, i was peeing my pants and you were, well, not.

oh yeah the people mover really dose great things for the city, how much money do you think was wasted on building that peice? And nobody is euro enough to bomb that thing.

Ill post pictures sometime...maybe.

Archived