RIAA nails 1,000 music-lovers in 'new Prohibition'

slightly

Everybody I know downloads music as a means of getting exposure to new bands. Bands that I would otherwise have no other means of hearing. The only burnt CD I have in my record collection is a mix disc of Impossibles songs, which is only there temporarily until I can actually track the CD down. I don't have whole albums on my computer, I download a handful of songs by a band, then see if I like them enough to go and buy their CD. Which takes longer because CD's here average around $25. That's what most people I know do too. None of these bands are rich musicians living the high life. These are musicians that I want to support. But do I give a shit if Justin Timberlake loses one more ivory backscratcher from pirated music? Not at all.

Maybe instead of destroying music on the internet altogethr, they could put a limit on the number of songs from one album that you can get. Or do what Smart said. Fuck it, who even cares.....

By the way Smart what is the name of your band, unless of course you don't want anyone to know...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's pathetic...

i don't know what moron pays 15-30 dollars for a cd. my god, the only time i've ever spent that much is when i was strictly buying imports or maybe some re-mastered release of a classic record or maybe even a box set. if you're paying whatever the sam goody's or hasting's or whatever the hole-in-the-mall shops are charging, then you're an idiot for blaming the riaa. check out what it costs to run that shop! it's called overhead my friend and that's where that wonderful thing called mark-up comes into effect. check amazon, the albums are pretty affordable. check best buy. you don't want to purchase from a retail chain, fine, check out the record lable your favorite bands off of and order it direct from them and sleep well at night knowing you showed the chains you weren't infected with their marketing-for-the-masses gimmick.

not buying the record fucks us all over. you think you're the shit because you've got 5000 mp3's and haven't spent a dime? fuck you. more than likely it's all shit and you rarely listen to any of it. and if you are listening to all of it, great! but, when you're waiting for your favorite band's next record and find they've been dropped from the label due to low sales and their newly recorded album is frozen in contractual limbo, well my friend, pat yourself on the back because you just helped the riaa develop a stronger case.

the funniest thing about this is how many of you bitch about clothing lines, television commercials and other posers jocking your shit to make a buck. what, like you wouldn't have been the dude that took a couple thousand to supervise the street cred of any advertisement. but i tell you what, if they took your shit without paying for it, i bet you'd be on that phone to your lawyer crying about your artistic rights and attempting to raise all kinds of hell....bitches.

Guest BROWNer

i know smart.

i agree with some of it, some of it i'm not sure.

overall i think it's an interesting idea, also considering

that irdial is an artist run label. but conversely

considering they release extremely obscure things that

would never make money in the first place.

maybe i'll post some things related to john oswald

and/or the whole negativeland/U2 thing..just for

shitto's.

well... the band is pretty much down to me these days, but I'm calling myself:

Freezeplug featuring D. Malorkus

As for the songs I wrote, I don't wanna say but it was pretty much a fluke collaboration. Nothing like J.Timberlake but it did allright and got included on the original and now a compilation and a 'greatest hits' thing... the best year I ever had was about $3000 but I used to average about $800 a year... since Napster and everything it's down to about $300...

And Rashomonster is on it... Back in the day it was my generation and our money (and Ian MacKaye's blood sweat and tears, and touring) that enabled Dischord to survive...

Also, a good friend of mine recently got a dope deal from Netwerk (or something like that) where he got a bunch of old unreleased Skinny Puppy stuff and another deal where Nivek Ohgr and a collaborator who's name escapes me sent my boy a couple cd's every 3 months, limited edition (signed and numbered) new and previously unreleased...

Originally posted by Smart

Basically, it breaks down like this... I'm all for discourse, I don't like Bodice, just because I insult her doesn't mean I'm mad at the world (or lesbians for that matter).... carry-on...

And i don't like you either sMart.

And i still relish ripping off music.

once again...

don't get me wrong, i support file sharing to an extent and feel the end of napster was one of the great technological tragedies of our time. i feel that the riaa needs to reconsider it's role in the distribution of music and rethink it's relationship with it's artists. i do not feel the public is being represented fairly and that corporations are able to hide behind a veil of money, lobbyists, and a choice few artists who will never be satisfied with their greed. this institution has used liberal and conservative governments to their advantage and have made the public dizzy with legal jargon turning everyone against each other. so, i make this one thing clear, it's not the industry i support, it's the bands. unfortunately, a good deal of the money i spend will go to supporting it, but i feel good knowing that the band gets part of it or it goes to keeping said band afloat of the attempted debt the music industry inslaves it's recording artists with.

the bulk of my downloading is in the fourm of live mixes

that would be impossible to find elsewhere. If some dj plays

a set and only puts out a few hundred tapes then sells all the stock

and I happen to get an mp3 copy of it he's still made his money.

Somethings are just too rare to find a hardcopy of.

for example... Brainfreeze by Dj Shaddow and Cut Chemist was

made from a live set they did that involved thrashing a bunch of

incredibly rare 45's (some of which got stolen and cant be replaced).

So anyways they did a very limited run of discs that are fetching

up to $200 on some of the vinyl trader sites. Are the artists getting

$200 a disc? No. It's the rarity that makes it valuable. Well I got a copy

on mp3 and I have no reservations about it. There's no damn way

I would have heard the mix if I didn't get it on the download.

what's also kind of funny is that i'm sure most of these people that seek to bring down 'the industry' don't even listen to much music on major labels.

my main beef w/ companies now a days is that nobody wants to press up vinyl. :

thats what Im saying^^

i will only download a song that i like on the radio to play on my ipod, but i could live without it. all the rest of my music i am ready and willing to pay for. I respect all the musicians i support.

and dude, i got a repress of brainfreeze for 14 bucks. not THAT hard to find....

i sometimes think people miss this little fact

The things I say are merely statements on the way I see life, not the way things are. I never said anyone else had to agree, or conform to what I think. I am just saying what I see.

I do want the music industry to fall apart, i would like to see a more level playing field for musicians. I do think Kazaa and the like are going to cause a major change to the music industry.

But if you don't, great. Buy those albums, and if enough of you do, it won't collapse.

cool.

Archived