Illustration or Photography majors?

CIPHER_one

I remember there being a graphic design thread that was really helpful, so I decided to try and get some information about Illustration and Photography.

Anyone majoring in either of these two things? If so, can I get the "low-down"? What type of work are you doing? Is it a hard field to break into? What school are you attending? etc. etc...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i remember when i was thinking i actually would have the money or the grades to get into a 4 year art school so i checked out some cool schools. There is SVA in New York. It is very famous and i know of a few writers that are attending school there. Then there is a school in Florida, I'm gonna have to check the name of it. It is also very prestigious and some thing like 70% of their students go on to work for disney in soome aspect. There is also another college in boston i believe that is very liberal in the way their classes are set up. Every year they have some kind of tournament where people dress up as famous monsters like godzilla or what have you and enter a wrestling competition. They also have a legal wall at the school that you can do murals on.

Im sorry this all off the top of my head but i will go through all of the information i have boxed up here if i can find it and let you know whats up in more detail. To answer one of your questions though, yes, Pursuing any type of art career is very competative and hard to break into. Depending what you are trying to achieve in your career you might want to think about displaying your art in various competitions at local galleries.

Hope i was a little bit of help to you.

I went to the Art Institute of Pittsburg and didn't even get to finish my degree before it got so expensive I was forced to drop out. I am still feeling the effects of that and that was like 6 or 7 years ago.

Art field is hard to get into. Just become a doctor or a lawyer or something. Then go graffiti at night like some kind of supervillain.

Guest Pilau Hands

I'm majoring in art with a focus in photography. However, instead of going to a big art school, I'm going to a city university. In one sense I won't have the large name behind me. I'll probably be lacking some expert training $30,000 a year gets you. My school has a pretty good reputation for the arts though, and a well respected BFA and MFA program.

If you're going to go into art, but can't afford an expensive art school, my advice is this...be ready to work your ass off. You're probably going to have to do a lot of work to compensate for the lack of an art school degree because like it or not, most times people are going to look at that before they look at your portfolio. Even if that's not the case though, in the end it will be about who you know, what kind of work you do, and how well you can explain/sell that work. Read up on everything you can about your field, take classes at those big schools if they let you (I knew a guy who was full-time at two different schools just not working towards a degree in one, and working to pay for those classes, and rent all at once). DO NOT wait until you graduate to start getting work in what you want to do. Go to different schools, post information and talk to people about wanting to assist FOR FREE, let them know you're trying to learn all you can, and have a good attitude. A lot of the things you'll need to know will be learned when you're actually doing a job, not in the classroom. That goes for most things in life.

Basically if you know this is what you want to do, it starts now...or tomorrow. Get some sleep. ;)

Pilau,

Although I can't really afford to go to a really expensive art school, I am going to one in January. It's one of the best on the east coast. So, I will have the name, but I also plan on putting together a strong portfolio.

Thanks for the advice. Ill use it.

I think we use to talk on AIM...

Archived