Infamous sporting moments

Guest imported_Europe

Compare these two "stories" and you will see why I'm still pissed. The first is a fair representation of how hockey fans view the incident in retrospect, the second is how it really went down. Fucked up.

First from: [http://proicehockey.about.com/library/blqu...falo-nogoal.htm]

Your Hockey Questions Answered: The Buffalo Sabres, the Dallas Stars and the famous "no goal."

I am new to hockey and a Dallas Stars fan. I keep hearing that they "stole" the Stanley Cup because of Bret Hull's skate position. What's the real scoop on that call?

- Michelle, Dallas

There will never be an explanation to this one that satisfies everyone. But at risk of setting off tempers among Dallas Stars and Buffalo Sabres fans, here goes:

You're talking about the goal that won the 1999 Stanley Cup. Brett Hull scored in triple overtime of Game Six, giving Dallas a 2-1 victory over Buffalo and delivering the Stars their first championship.

The first thing you need to know is that the rule that caused all the trouble no longer exists. At the time, players were not allowed in the goalie's crease unless the puck was already there. Here's how the rule was worded:

"Unless the puck is in the goal crease area, a player of the attacking side may not stand in the goal crease. If a player has entered the crease prior to the puck, and subsequently the puck should enter the net while such conditions prevail, the apparent goal shall not be allowed."

This rule was strictly enforced, using video review. Players carrying the puck were allowed to take it into the crease and score (as long as they didn't interfere with the goalie), but if any other player on the attacking team arrived in the crease before the puck, it was no goal. This helped protect goalies from interference, but too many good goals were disallowed because players inadvertently had the toe of a skate in the crease before a teammate scored. It was a dumb, frustrating rule.

When Brett Hull scored his early morning Cup-winner in June, it looked like a classic case of no goal: Hull shoots, Hasek saves. The rebound bounces outside the crease. With his skate, Hull kicks the puck forward to his stick. But as he is kicking the puck, his left skate slides into the blue paint. If you freeze that moment, he's apparently guilty. Brett is in the crease, the puck isn't.

With his left skate planted in the crease, Hull shoots again. This time he scores. The Stars celebrate, the Sabres freak out.

So how did the NHL justify the decision to let the goal stand? Here's what Bryan Lewis, NHL Supervisor of Officials, had to say:

"A puck that rebounds off the goalie, the goal post or an opposing player is not deemed to be a change of possession, and therefore Hull would be deemed to be in possession or control of the puck, allowed to shoot and score a goal even though the one foot would be in the crease in advance of the puck.

"Hull had possession and control of the puck. The rebound off the goalie does not change anything. It is his puck then to shoot and score albeit a foot may or may not be in the crease prior to."

"Did he or did he not have possession and control? Our view was yes, he did. He played the puck from his foot to his stick, shot and scored."

So in the NHL's view, the entire sequence - shot, rebound, kick, second shot - constitutes one instance of "possesion" by Brett Hull. As long as he and the puck are one, his presence in the crease is not illegal.

I'm afraid that's as clear as I can make it. It's all very murky. Throughout the season, goals similar to Hull's had been disallowed. Considering all the evidence, I conclude that the league blew the call and then scrambled like hell to cover its ass.

So does that mean the Stars "stole" the Stanley Cup? Not at all. Officiating is not a science. Refereeing mistakes are as much a part of sport as knuckleballs, field goals and $250 souvenir jerseys. Argentina won soccer's World Cup on a goal that should have been called back. The Patriots needed a suspicious call to get to the Super Bowl. An umpire's mistake probably cost the St. Louis Cardinals a World Series.

It's not much comfort to Sabres' fans, but blown calls are part of the game. Nobody ever said justice was perfect.

Second from [http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/nh...21/replay_gone/]

It's official: No more NHL video replays

Posted: Tuesday June 22, 1999 08:02 PM

Bettman said he was unaware of any official protest by the Sabres over the Game 6 decision. Donald Miralle/Allsport

NEW YORK (CNN/SI) -- The NHL is cutting back on instant replay just as the NFL is bringing in back.

"It's no longer zero tolerance, we're going to leave the crease to a judgment call," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said Monday. He announced that the league will no longer use videotape replays to decide disputed calls when a player is in the crease.

Bettman said Colin Campbell, the NHL's director of hockey operations, will work on a new interpretation of the rule, and he is expected to have it in place for on-ice officials before the start of the 1999-2000 season.

"We are going to go more to an interpretation standard, but we are still going to keep the old [man-in-the-crease] rule," Bettman said.

Bettman said the action had nothing to do with the recent uproar at the Stanley Cup finals over Brett Hull's questionable goal, but rather with keeping the game more spontaneous.

Bettman said it was his opinion that videotape reviews cause games to lose their momentum. The video replay situation was discussed by the league's general managers about a week before the controversial Game 6 in Buffalo's Marine Midland Arena, Bettman said.

"We're relying too much on replay [for goal decisions]," Bettman said.

In other action, the board approved a new system for overtime. The NHL had 161 of its 220 overtime games end in ties this past season and would like to see more of them resolved.

In the 1999-2000 season, when teams are tied after regulation, they will each receive a point in the standings. Then a five-minute overtime period will be held, with each team using four skaters instead of five. A winning team would receive another point.

Videotape replay will remain in use for all other existing circumstances, such as if the puck has crossed the goal line, if it is in the net prior to the goal frame being dislodged, or if it is in the net before time has expired.

Bettman's announcement came less than two days after a huge controversy following Dallas' 2-1 triple-overtime victory over Buffalo that gave the Stars the Stanley Cup.

The game was decided early Sunday morning when Hull scored from in front with one of his skates clearly in the goal crease. The rule usually disallows a goal if an offensive player has any part of his body in the crease.

The Sabres said a replay showed that Hull's goal should have been disallowed because his skate preceded the puck into the crease before he shot it past Dominik Hasek.

The official response from the league after the goal was that it didn't matter that Hull had his skate in the crease, but that he had full control of the puck. Supervisor of officials Bryan Lewis said the play was reviewed on videotape at least six times.

Other than saying "the absolute right call" was made on Hull's goal, Bettman would not address the Game 6 controversy.

"The rule was absolutely, correctly applied," Bettman said. "Everyone understands it was the right call."

The rule, drawn up to protect goalies from injury, is disliked by many skaters. Many goals have been disallowed by infractions that are purely incidental to the play, such as a teammate's skate in the crease away from the action.

The new overtime format was used by the American Hockey League this season on an experimental basis, and the league was satisfied with the results: Of the 44 games that went into overtime, 27 had the ties broken.

The board also approved an increase in the number of games officiated under the two-referee system to 700 from last season's 270,

The governors also approved the expected transfer of ownership of the Washington Capitals to a group composed of Ted Leonsis, Jon Ledecky and Richard Patrick from Abe Pollin.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.nyt.co.uk/eddiethe%20eagle.jpg'>

Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards!

Britans only ski jumper shows up at the '88 winter olympics

and borrows someones skis and makes a jump. He doesn't die!

Which is more than most people were expecting. I think he failed

to qualify to jump in the real event, or they just took his borowed skis away.

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/images/oly98/photos/kerriganknee_0202.jpg'>

DETROIT, Jan. 6 — U.S. national champion figure skater Nancy Kerrigan, a 1992 Olympic bronze medalist and one of the favorites to win the gold medal at next month's Winter Olympics, was attacked by a man wielding a blunt object after a practice this afternoon at the U.S. Olympic trials.

need I say more?

HERO-SCAPEGOAT-MARTYR - Andres Escobar

THE WORLD CUP IN AMERICA- NINETEEN NINETY FOUR

USA-COLUMBIA -DO YOU RECALL THE SCORE?

AND OVER IN THE ROSE BOWL - THE FEVERS RUNNING HIGH

WHILE ON THE STREETS- OF MEDELLIN- ITS NEAR TO DO OR DIE

COLUMBIA WERE ON A ROLL - THE MOMENT IT WAS NOW

THEIR ROAD WOULD BE OF GLORY- TO SWEET SUCCESS SOMEHOW

I SPEAK OF ANDRES ESCOBAR - I SHUDDER AT HIS NAME

THE LINCHPIN IN A STRONG DEFENCE-AND KNOWN THROUGHOUT THE GAME

THEY CALLED HIM CABALLERO-THE FOOTBALL GENTLEMAN

IN SOCCER CRAZY BARS AND HOMES - AND RIGHT ACROSS THE LAND

IN FRONT OF NINETY THOUSAND FANS-COLUMBIA V THE STATES

THE STADIUM HEAVED TO ANTHEM SONGS-BEHIND THE LONG CLOSED GATES

THE MINUTES GONE WERE THIRTY THREE - COLUMBIA'S STUBBORN WALL

IS BROKEN BY A HOPEFUL CROSS - IT LOOKED LIKE ANDRE'S BALL

BUT AS HE STRETCHED TO INTERCEPT-THE BALL SPUN FAST AWAY

IT CLIPPED HIS BOOT AND IN THE NET - IT LANDED ON THAT DAY

AN OWN GOAL OF EXTREME BAD LUCK -THE SORRY DEED WAS DONE

AND ONE THAT PROVED- TO BE HIS LAST- COLUMBIA LOST 2-1

THEIR WORLD CUP DREAM NOW OVER- DISASTER IN ONE GAME

WHILE FRIENDS STOOD BY- A FINGER DARK -SOUGHT OUT- THE ONE- TO BLAME

WITH MED'LIN'S CURRENT MURDER RATE- SOME TWENTY ODD A DAY

HIS ONLY EVER WORLD CUP GOAL- WOULD PROVE THE PRICE TO PAY

ELIMINATED- THEY RETURNED -TO JEERS INSTEAD OF PRAISE

AND ANDRES GOAL- COST HIM HIS LIFE - WITHIN THE NEXT TEN DAYS

JULY THE FIRST - A NIGHT CLUB- WHERE HIGH UP ON A HILL

THEY SHOT HIM LIKE A DOG THAT NIGHT - AND ESCOBAR LAY KILLED

OWN GOAL - OWN GOAL -THEY SHOUTED - AS HE SAT IN HIS CAR

AT POINT BLANK RANGE -SIX TIMES THEY FIRED- OUTSIDE THE PADUA BAR

ON MEDELLIN'S STREETS - THEY ARGUE STILL - ON SUCH A WAY TO GO

A HIT MAN OR A DRUNKEN RAGE - BUT WE WILL NEVER KNOW

A COUNTRY RIFE WITH DRUGS AND GUNS - SO MEANINGLESS AND SAD

HOW CAN THERE BE - HIS FATHER CRIED- SOME PEOPLE QUITE SO BAD

THAT THEY COULD KILL - MY GENTLE SON- THAT THEY- HIS LIFE COULD TAKE

ALL FOR A MOMENT IN A GAME - ALL FOR ONE BRIEF MISTAKE

AND NOW WHILE POLITICIANS- AND DRUG LORDS WINE AND DINE

THE COKE CARTELS AND HIT MEN- COME THICK AT ANY TIME

THINK THEN UPON -THE PRICE OF LIFE-THE MONEY AND THE DREAM

THOSE SEXY FOOTBALL LIFESTYLES-ARENT ALWAYS HOW THEY SEEM

AND ON THOSE DUSTY PITCHES ON SUNDAYS YOU CAN SEE

BY BREEZE BLOCK SLUMS WITH WASHING HUNG -THE DREAM OF BREAKING FREE

AND STILL THEY TALK OF THAT WORLD CUP- AND OF THE FATEFUL DAY

WHEN ESCOBAR -STRETCHED OUT TOO FAR- AGAINST THE USA.

http://www.caracol.com/c0a1r/Andres_Escobar/images/Andres6.jpg'>

http://www.caracol.com/c0a1r/Andres_Escobar/images/Andres7.jpg'>

Former Australian rugby league international John Hopoate was banned for 12 weeks Wednesday after being found guilty of "interfering" with opponents.

The Wests Tigers winger was said to have jammed his fingers up the backsides of three North Queensland players during a match last weekend. NRL judiciary commissioner Jim Hall said: "I must say in my 45 years involvement in rugby league I've never come across a more disgusting allegation than I've had to deal with now."

Hopoate denied the charges, but television replays appeared to support them. Hopoate, who is as well known for his antics off the field as his ability to score tries on it, continued his protest, saying he thought he had nothing to answer for.

"I'm a great believer in what happens on the field should stay there," he said.

But the graphic accounts of Hopoate's three victims helped condemn the giant Tongan-born winger to another lengthy suspension. "There was pressure there. I know he wasn't doing it accidentally. He was definitely pushing," said North Queensland player Paul Bowman. "I was disgusted. I couldn't believe it."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.wesclark.com/rrr/john_hopoate.jpg'> http://www.wesclark.com/rrr/hopoates_finger.jpg'>

Originally posted by .highborn

Former Australian rugby league international John Hopoate was banned for 12 weeks Wednesday after being found guilty of "interfering" with opponents.

The Wests Tigers winger was said to have jammed his fingers up the backsides of three North Queensland players during a match last weekend. NRL judiciary commissioner Jim Hall said: "I must say in my 45 years involvement in rugby league I've never come across a more disgusting allegation than I've had to deal with now."

Hopoate denied the charges, but television replays appeared to support them. Hopoate, who is as well known for his antics off the field as his ability to score tries on it, continued his protest, saying he thought he had nothing to answer for.

"I'm a great believer in what happens on the field should stay there," he said.

But the graphic accounts of Hopoate's three victims helped condemn the giant Tongan-born winger to another lengthy suspension. "There was pressure there. I know he wasn't doing it accidentally. He was definitely pushing," said North Queensland player Paul Bowman. "I was disgusted. I couldn't believe it."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.wesclark.com/rrr/john_hopoate.jpg'> http://www.wesclark.com/rrr/hopoates_finger.jpg'>

haha...not thats some fucked up shit.....:yuck:

and...

The Great Soccer War....A conflict between two countries sparked by a match.

"The Soccer War. In 1969, an old rivalry between El Salvador and Honduras erupted into a brief war, momentaraly shifting attention from El Salvador's deteriorating political situation. The battle was caused by a number of issues, including a long-standing dispute over the exact location of a border between the two countries and the huge numbers of Salvadorans who had migrated into Honduras."

"...Tensions peaked around the June 1969 World Cup playoffs between the two countries, and erupted into war on July 14..."

"Who won? The "Soccer War," as it came to be known, left 3,000 dead, 6,000 wounded and caused $50 million in damage..."

• 3 months later...

Hit and Run....

http://www.smh.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1037599364287_2002/11/18/spt_soccer021119,0.jpg'>

Visiting goalkeeper Emanuele Manitta of Messina lies on the ground after being hit by a home fan who ran onto the pitch in the 80th minute of the Italian Serie B game between Cagliari and Messina on Sunday. The attacker ran back into crowd and escaped arrest, with the referee abandoning the match. Manitta was taken to hospital but wasn't seriously hurt.

Everyone goes on about English hooligans. Italians are 10 times worse. There's a riot, or a pitch invasion, or a fan dying, or players being attacked seemingly every week. Call this an unfair generalization if you want, but Italians are fucking nuts....

italians are terrible in groups. especially at games. ive seen it happen so many times, being on trams coming back from games, being around the stadium after a sunday derby. yeesh. some games you cant even see because of the stands being on fire. its pretty fucking bad, and it happens like every game. not just on big ones. if you go to italy, check out a match, hopfully you can get a good rivalry and see some action. italians alone are harmless.

here in Aus, we have a game called Australian Rules Football

and there was an incident where a player bit the other players ball sack, it wasnt the AFL league , it was a different leage, ethier way its fukt up.

this is why i dont play team sports, incase some homo trys to jab his fingers into my ass or bite my scrotem

Originally posted by krie

here in Aus, we have a game called Australian Rules Football

and there was an incident where a player bit the other players ball sack, it wasnt the AFL league , it was a different leage, ethier way its fukt up.

this is why i dont play team sports, incase some homo trys to jab his fingers into my ass or bite my scrotem

yeh, peter filandia the fucking little poofter when he was dropped from the swans and relegated to vfl with port melbourne.

im gay coz i bit a dudes dick on the footy field

Archived