seperating colors (photoshop, etc)

casekonly

i've got this pic that i'm trying to seperate colors out of for a tri-color stencil...i took it to photoshop and used the cutout filter to make it a little less colorful with tones and all, and i thought i could select individual colors using the "select color range" and taking highlights, mids, and shadows out and seperating them onto pages, but it doesn't want to work out so well....so, i have illustrator, and streamline, and i know there's a technique for using them to seperate colors, also on stencilrevolution.com there's a tutorials, but i don't know my way around illustrator or streamline enough to figure out what the hell it's talking about...converting to vector art, and then moving to illustrator and doing the simplify path are easy, but the next step confuses the fuck oout of me because it doesn't want to work...i think i did something wrong in streamline...i'm droning on and on, but i wanted you guys to get a good idea of my situation...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

seperating the colors in rgb would only work if the colors you are wanting to seperate are red, green and blue. you could make this work by assigning the colors that you are going to use for your stencil to a corresponding rgb color. Let's say your stencil colors are going to be red, yellow and black. red goes with red, make the green equal the yellow and the blue equal the black. following?

I'm not entirely sure I know what the problem is though. one way of doing it would be to posterize it down to three colors and then select each color with the magic wand and paste the selection into its own new document.

you could also place the file in Illustrator and take the pen tool and redraw each color. illustrator is always vector art. photoshop is raster. you can rasterize (which basically turns vector into pixels) in illustrator.

lemme know if any of this helps. if not...try and give me more info.

The stencil is cool, however it is very image specific. Not all images are going to

work well for the stencil right off the bat. Many times you need to do a bit of editing.

Im not familiar with the other film app from adobe, but i dodnt think its goona do

what you think it will do. I think theres a goos chance its gonna give you half tone

paterns for each color and for a stencil thats fairly useless.

to do a single color stencil:

1. remove unwanted pixel info from image, backgrounds or what ever you don't want

in the image.

2. In photoshop, Image/adjust/ threshold.

3. this will remove the color information and force all pixels to either black or white.

4. you now need to do some more editing of the image. The key to the stencil is to

keep you image, or cut out area unlocked; In other words All of the image area, that

you will paint, needs to be attachec to the non image area in some way. If you did a

"A" yu need some way to deal with the negative spcae in the "A".

5. Print. Apply image to stiff paper cardbord what ever. Cut out.

6. Laminate of poly urithane the stencil to help its rigidity, so it doesnt get all soggy

while your stenciling.

the tri colored stencil

1. same as above.

2. In photoshop, Image/adjust/ Posterize. Choose #number of colors "3".

3. posterize will reduce all color info to three colors or so, red, yellow, black, and

maybe your odd grey.

4. edit colors with the paint brush to smooth out the edges.

5. select each color individually and paste them to their own layers.

6. print each layer with the eyes on the others turned of

7. Print. Apply image to stiff paper cardbord what ever. Cut out.

8. Laminate of poly urithane the stencil to help its rigidity, so it doesnt get all soggy

while your stenciling.

hope this helps. ONE.

Archived