Sony Upgrades PS2

Weapon X

Sony threw the gaming industry its second curve ball in less than a month Wednesday, unveiling the PSX, an upgraded PlayStation 2 that takes the console far beyond its gaming roots. The revamped PS2 comes with a built-in DVD recorder, a TV tuner, a 120 GB hard drive and will let owners download movies and music from the Internet.

The machine will go on sale in Japan later this year and hit U.S. and European stores in early 2004. Sony did not give an expected price for the PSX.

Sony (SNE: Research, Estimates) had previously announced plans to begin selling a revamped PS2 in June, which would play re-writeable DVDs, come bundled with an online adaptor and run quieter than current models. Today's announcement is an entirely different machine, however.

"The PSX looks like a broad-functioned home network device that, in part, people speculated would be part of the PS3," said Stewart Halpern, managing director and analyst for RBC Capital Markets. "But they're announcing it as a separate product. I don't see this as the next generation of the game player."

Sony held back pertinent details about the PSX in its presentation, but the set-up of the device implies that in addition to playing all PlayStation and PS2 games, owners will also be able to record television shows to the hard drive (much like TiVo owners can now do) and burn copies of those shows to DVD.

The PSX will come equipped with an Ethernet adaptor for high-speed internet service (though it appears the machine will not support dial-up access). It will also come equipped with a USB 2.0 port, allowing high speed data transfers, and will have a slot for Sony's memory stick data storage technology. And unlike the PS2, which has a disk loading tray like your computer's CD-ROM drive, the PSX will feature a sleeker slot-loading device, letting you simply slide your games, movies and more into the top of the machine. Functionally, this doesn't add much – but it does add to the PSX's "cool factor".

The PSX announcement comes as the gaming industry has been speculating what Sony would offer with the PlayStation 3, whose features are expected to be unveiled next year. Most of that speculation has included some sort of home entertainment functionality. Analysts have questioned, though, how Sony might include those functions and keep the PS3's price at an acceptable level. Halpern said today's announcement could be a hint that the company views the PS3 solely as a gaming device.

"This gives Sony a solution," he said. "This unifying home entertainment box is separate from the PS3, so it gives consumers the option to buy the PS3 as a dedicated game machine ... instead of forcing people to pay more for a device that has functionality they may not care about."

honestly, I can't bother with anymore cutting and pasting. it takes about four minutes to do noe paragraph ever since my ie fucked up.

there are pictures, as well as the rest of the article here:

http://money.cnn.com/2003/05/28/commentary...aming/index.htm

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I just bought MegaMan8 for $15 new.

I dont need fancy hard drives and shit for gaming.

There's certain games I'd rather play on a computer anyways.

Consoles should be arcade fast and fun.

Originally posted by Weapon X

Sony threw the gaming industry its second curve ball in less than a month Wednesday, unveiling the PSX, an upgraded PlayStation 2 that takes the console far beyond its gaming roots. The revamped PS2 comes with a built-in DVD recorder, a TV tuner, a 120 GB hard drive and will let owners download movies and music from the Internet.

The machine will go on sale in Japan later this year and hit U.S. and European stores in early 2004. Sony did not give an expected price for the PSX.

Sony (SNE: Research, Estimates) had previously announced plans to begin selling a revamped PS2 in June, which would play re-writeable DVDs, come bundled with an online adaptor and run quieter than current models. Today's announcement is an entirely different machine, however.

"The PSX looks like a broad-functioned home network device that, in part, people speculated would be part of the PS3," said Stewart Halpern, managing director and analyst for RBC Capital Markets. "But they're announcing it as a separate product. I don't see this as the next generation of the game player."

Sony held back pertinent details about the PSX in its presentation, but the set-up of the device implies that in addition to playing all PlayStation and PS2 games, owners will also be able to record television shows to the hard drive (much like TiVo owners can now do) and burn copies of those shows to DVD.

The PSX will come equipped with an Ethernet adaptor for high-speed internet service (though it appears the machine will not support dial-up access). It will also come equipped with a USB 2.0 port, allowing high speed data transfers, and will have a slot for Sony's memory stick data storage technology. And unlike the PS2, which has a disk loading tray like your computer's CD-ROM drive, the PSX will feature a sleeker slot-loading device, letting you simply slide your games, movies and more into the top of the machine. Functionally, this doesn't add much – but it does add to the PSX's "cool factor".

The PSX announcement comes as the gaming industry has been speculating what Sony would offer with the PlayStation 3, whose features are expected to be unveiled next year. Most of that speculation has included some sort of home entertainment functionality. Analysts have questioned, though, how Sony might include those functions and keep the PS3's price at an acceptable level. Halpern said today's announcement could be a hint that the company views the PS3 solely as a gaming device.

"This gives Sony a solution," he said. "This unifying home entertainment box is separate from the PS3, so it gives consumers the option to buy the PS3 as a dedicated game machine ... instead of forcing people to pay more for a device that has functionality they may not care about."

honestly, I can't bother with anymore cutting and pasting. it takes about four minutes to do noe paragraph ever since my ie fucked up.

there are pictures, as well as the rest of the article here:

http://money.cnn.com/2003/05/28/commentary...aming/index.htm

THAT SHIT IS THE SIZE OF A XBOX

Guest ctrl+alt+del

i read about this in some gaming mag a while ago. their also releasing their own gameboy type of device, but it will also kind of be a pda.

:confused:

i dont even have a plasystation.

i just wish nintendo would get the guts to make some violent ass games like the gta franchise.