Silk Screening.

non-hetero

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

silk screening is just pulling ink over stencils. you can go with paper stencils or emultion stencils. With photo emultion you don't have to worry about cutting islands in your stencils etc it's just transfering of an image you made or copied. It'd take a while to explain, and i'm not up for typing too much now. I like to cut paper stencils it's probably the easiest way if you don't have money for all those expensive chemicals or access to a dark room and exposure table... which you kinda need or would be of great help if you planned to use emultion. you can also make mono prints with silk screens, which is where you draw and paint with water based mediums on the screen and pull transparent base over the painted screen to transfer the image. It all varies depending on what your doing and what techniques you use. If you wanna make shirts you're gunna have to use emultion because paper stencils under a silk screen tend to die after one pull. I would just get a screen, some silk screening ink, a squeege and fuck around on paper making your own stencils.

screen printing made easy...

skip all of the pre-made kits and get to work on building your own set up. start by building your own screens (if you've ever pulled a canvas, it's essentially the same thing). check the phone book for a supplier who stocks screen mesh (it's no longer called silk screening anymore...silk fabric was dropped ages ago for a poly-fiber mesh). get to work building different size screens. you want a good sized one (3'x4') a medium (2.5'x3') and maybe a smaller if you feel it's neccessary. next, you want to get to work on building a vaccuum table. sounds complex? it isn't. you basically need to build a box about a 1/2' bigger on all sides than your largest screen (for room). screw some hinged clamps (that way you can raise the screen while maintaining it's original position) on both of the ends to have the ability to produce either horizontal or vertical prints. reinforce the box on the inside so a piece of pre-drilled masonite (you know, the type you see in somebody's workshop with tools hanging off of it...) will lie sturdy on top. cut a circular hole out of the side, slip in a small shop vac's hose and voila, you've got a table that will save your ass hours of frustration. yeah, i know this is really simplified but i'm just writing to demystify any complexity whatsoever with screenprinting. any questions, let me know.

oh yeah, and stick with water based inks. unless you've got an overhead hood and a well ventilated room, working with oils is a slow death. if you wonder why so many artists in the 60s were so loopy, it wasn't the drugs....

Originally posted by seeking

i really want to get into this. i've kind of been looking, on and off, for a spot someplace near me where i can work/apprentice, but i havent taken it too seriously.

i love paper. paper is great.

most def you should go out today and drop some

doe for a big fancy set up. You can decide while

you pay it off whether you like it or not. If not

they make great cluter when not used or stored

properly.

Archived