Jesus to Deion Sanders: "Thou Shalt Only Pay $1500"

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Link.

Former Cowboy sued over auto repair bill

Associated Press

DALLAS -- A judge listened to testimony Monday and is expected to rule soon whether former Dallas Cowboy Deion Sanders owes money to a body shop for work done on his vintage 1961 Lincoln Continental convertible.

State District Judge Joe Cox took the case under advisement after the one-day trial, said court administrator Donna Bouthton.

The owner of the repair shop said Sanders wanted to pay only $1,500 of the $4,265.57 bill, saying that Jesus had informed him that was all he needed to pay.

"It's the 'Praise Jesus' discount,'' attorney Ed Edson told The Dallas Morning News in Monday's editions.

Edson said he has been trying to collect the bill from Sanders since 2001 on behalf of Phil Compton, the owner of the car repair business.

Through court filings, the player says the accusations are untrue. Sanders was in the courtroom Monday but did not testify.

Anthony Montoya, a representative for Sanders, had contacted Compton and told him the convertible needed to be towed to his shop for repairs. The car had been repaired before by Compton.

Papers filed in his lawsuit stated that he and his mechanics installed a new radiator and thermostat, flushed the engine, repaired the car's electrical system and gauges, replaced the starter motor, removed contaminated fuel and rebuilt the carburetor. Mechanics for Magrathea Inc., Compton's company, had replaced gaskets and hoses.

Sanders had approved and Montoya had approved all the repairs, according to the lawsuit. But when the car was returned to the CBS sportscaster's home in Plano on Nov. 5, 2001, Compton said Pilar Sanders, the former Cowboy's wife, "answered the door, took the keys and invoices, started the car to make sure it was working and went back into the locked house, refusing to return the keys or invoices.''

Sanders' bodyguards and housekeepers then moved their cars in front of and behind the Lincoln so that it couldn't be towed back to the garage, the lawsuit stated.

When Sanders drove up, he refused to pay the invoice amount, handing Compton a $1,500 check and saying,

<span style='color:gold'>"Praise Jesus ... I follow what in my heart I'm told to pay.''</span>

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

or maybe someone just wants to get famous...

Ex-Cowboy Deion Sanders exonerated in suit over car repair bill

By MARY MCKEE

Fort Worth Star-Telegram

DALLAS - Give "Prime Time" a little court time, and he'll deliver a winning play.

At least that was the case Monday for former Dallas Cowboys cornerback Deion Sanders, who successfully deflected a lawsuit filed by Dallas car repair shop owner Phil Compton claiming that Sanders owed him $4,265.57.

State District Judge Joe Cox ruled in favor of Sanders, deciding that he owed Compton $1,500, the amount that Sanders contended he had agreed to pay for repairs on his 1961 Lincoln Continental convertible.

Sanders, known by the nickname "Prime Time" and now a CBS sports analyst, said he felt vindicated by the judge's ruling. Because Sanders has already paid $1,500, his lawyer said he has fulfilled his financial obligations to Compton.

"I think it sends a message that states you don't always have to bow down and settle out of court," Sanders said after learning of the judge's decision.

Before the ruling, Sanders explained, "You got to understand, I'm not hurting for money; and let's be honest ... a $4,000 bill, I could have wrote a check a long time ago. But it's the principle. I'm tired of getting ripped off."

Cox also ruled that Anthony Montoya, a friend of Sanders who arranged for the car repairs and was also sued by Compton, owed nothing.

Compton, owner of Magrathea Inc., said Cox's ruling reflected favoritism for sports celebrities.

"I feel like I've been taken advantage of by the bigger fish in the sea, and I'm the little guy," Compton said.

In his March 2002 lawsuit, Compton claimed that he and his mechanics were given approval for the work by Montoya. But when they delivered the car to Sanders' Plano home Nov. 5, 2001, Compton's lawsuit says, Sanders gave him a check for $1,500, said "Praise Jesus," and walked off.

Compton told reporters Monday that Sanders claimed Jesus told him all he needed to pay was $1,500. Compton said Sanders made other religious references in explaining why he would only pay a portion of the bill.

"There was so much reference to religion and his calling ... that it was almost a blur," Compton said after the testimony had ended Monday.

Sanders, who claims to be a born-again Christian, denied making such references, although he did say that he told Compton "God bless you."

"That's sad that they would use the Lord's name in vain just to strike up publicity," Sanders said.

Archived