New stuff of mine: Kathmandu, Calcutta, Delhi, etc

Sonik3000

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

really, really nice. to just label your work as inspirational is putting it lightly. i've enjoyed your work for some time now and you continue to make an impression. keep breaking new ground and showing folks how is possible to get down.

oh yea, i really enjoy to read the stories that go along with the flicks, thats a really nice touch.

as someone who has painted india, using your tips as a guide and inspiration, i can only say i am in love with what you did there, even the downside of the indian culture of child abuse has its upside, you are not only an inspiration to those of us who get to see your work using technology, but i guarantee you that one of those children *or more* will be inspired to at least smile when they see the color and flair you added to a negative part of the world.

my favorite new thing you have painted was the blatant representation of "graffiti art" in nepal. to try to explain it to a culture that allows you the most creative leeway interms of graffiti is a very hard thing to do they may never understand why you do it, at least you told them what it is and they may try it and fall in love.

much love sonik.

you continue to murder peoples expectations of how far graffiti can be pushed, culturally and stylistically.

nice.

bump for this. i thought i was the only one on this....till i saw reas and espo were on... and, now sonik takes the ball and runs straight to india with it. one thing i gotta know- were you using cans or brushes? i'm kind of stuck in between the two, i'm like, "i could do this with a can, but..." i spend too much time at home, painting, and i've never been one to go out and piece. but, lately, i've had some weird ideas... like 3" foam brush fills with one shot... or a pad saturated with rusto aluminum bucket paint... mop outlines... yeah, maybe i'm an art fag, but i like art, and graffiti is art, and i'm sure every artist has had to say, fuck convention, at some point.. kind of sad to see every one try to look the same and fail when being original and creative will take you places, like calcutta. good work, holmes.

i really like your work sonik. i'm just getting into designing and painting childrens murals, and i have had a lot of inspiration looking around your website. i especially like the 'animal farm' mural in nepal, and the narrative behind it. hopefully the commitee won't find your website and read that! :lol:

I know the publishing biz too well to feel comfortable with forecasting a street date for a book but..... my children's book should be in print for christmas. knocking on wood, fingers crossed.

oh, and shai, it's all gloss enamel bucket paint. more writers use it than you might think.

yeah, like one shot or odds n' ends. i thought so. i'm on the same page as you, style wise, even though i think this is the largest body of work of yours i've seen yet. i'm impressed because you don't "follow the graff rule handbook". if you plan on showing in oakland again, hit me up- i'm bummed i missed the last one, especially since it was around the corner from my house. if i ever get a scanner or webcam i'll send you some shots of stuff i've been doing. good work, though.

• 7 months later...

Thought I'd give this a bump and invite folks in the Massachusetts and NH area to the opening party for my kids' book, or just to rattle on about me. Word.

Please join Caleb Neelon / SONIK in the release of his new children's picture book, "Lilman Makes a Name for Himself," on Thursday, April 1, at the Revolving Museum in downtown Lowell, Massachusetts.

The party will take place from 7-9pm and will include slides and a gallery talk by Caleb Neelon._ There's a five dollar cover, which gets you into the Museum, where there's a mural by Sonik and Bare, along with much more.

http://www.revolvingmuseum.org for directions and information!

The book, written and illustrated by Caleb Neelon / Sonik

Lilman arrives home from school one day unhappy - his name doesn't seem to mean and be himself and who he is. He tells his mother of his dilemma, and then sets out to build his name from wood. Then, he covers it with hats, feathers, stripes, rice, beans, and other things that reflect his vision of himself. He takes the name to school the next day, where it is such a hit that all of his classmates follw suit, building and decorating their names as well. Like Lilman and his classmates, we all have the power to "make a name for ourselves."

"Lilman Makes a Name for Himself" is UV-coated hardcover, which means that it can wipe clean after you spill cereal on it. It is also library bound, which means that it won't fall apart after you use it as a frisbee. There's a special "make a name for yourself" activity and lesson plan, as well as a handful of my favorite pieces.

More information, including how to order a copy to be mailed to you, is available at:

http://www.theartwheredreamscometrue.com/lilman

Published by:

Cantab Publishing

Archived