Yard Safety

Guest cracked ass

heh, dont think i was gonna paint engies!! thats just stupid! i just wanted to know if the crew chilled in there cus when i was at a yard in north adkota, there was a train making the same noises i described and the condustor or whoever leaned out the window to tell me to be careful... but from waht i could see from the ground, there was no movement inside the cab on this particular train...

and i was just benchin and taking flicks today..... the train that i was taking photos of wasnt in the yard.. you know how a lot of yards or layups or wahtever are just like 8 seperate tracks that split from one main one coming into the yard? well this train was parked at another split off point far up the one line not even close to the yard.... like a temporary chill spot or something.... from waht i saw today, there wasnt that many engines at all, just the occasional pass through and a couple not attached to any length of cars sitting on some random side tracks... this yard is unbelieveable though... out in the middle of no where...

like i said though, i was by no means attmpeting to paint anything , especially anything with an engine on it making sounds like its gonna leave... this train was just the most visible from the road i was travelling on and i could see there was a king157 and a buncha other people end-to-end that made me want to check that train out first...

tomorrow is my day for scoping out the rest of the area and watching patterns in traffic and workers and stuff...

thanks for the info though, i appreciate it :)

shadeone

• 2 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

If you are intrested in learning just about everything there is to know about the cars the yards the workers and the bulls, along with countless other subjects you should pick up the book entitled "Hopping frieght trains in america" This book was an awsome read and really helped answer questios i had in my head. Even though the book is based on knowledge that should be aquired if you are planning to catch out on a frieght it also gives you info that anyone who paints trains should know about. The book was written by duffy littlejohn and is a bit hard to find but if you search the net you'll most likely come across it......sorry if someone already spoke about this book i didnt bother to search because of my overwhelming lazyness. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Originally posted by raildeviant

Good looking out Cracked, info is always appreciated.

Not sure if any of you have these in your local yard, but over here, in the city's biggest yard which is half CN and half CP, the use of remote control engines is in full effect. Essentially, the worker walks along the tracks with a remote control and works the engine from there (you see, trains are BIG toys!!!). Its cool to watch, but is also very dangerous for a couple of reasons. 1) There is no conductor in the engine, so no one to blow the horn to tell you to get the fuck out of the way. 2) With the worker controlling the engine from the ground, you may be paying attention to him and not notice the ghost rider train coming at you from the opposite direction.

Another piece of advice. If you feel the need to close the door on an open boxcar so you can complete that purty end2end you have been planning (which I do not recommend), keep in mind that once you get the momentum built up the door won't stop until it slams shut, with or without your fingers in the way.

Play safe, clean your spots and never accept candy from men in trenchcoats.

Last summer I went to the CN day which was in one of the biggest yard in my city. We could visit all the area (like where they buff trains), and i had the chance to try this remote control...driving an engine Damn it was fun!!!

i went 2 that dead trainbum 1, mate that is sick what kind of sick assholes live in our krazy society?? they must be sick in the head or somethin, and this is a stark reminder too all of us, mess around with 2 tonnes of heavy metal and u could pay the price. i think that while still keepin it real, we should write safe and respect that where we try 2 write the people that throw us out of the yards are only doing there job, altho like kracked said there r some angels and arseholes. u could help brinmg out an angel if u be nice. peace out till next time

thats exactly my point every train is an oppertunaty, (i kant shpell) the trains are there for the picking, so PICK THEM!! the guys (workers) are usually tired after a long hard day, and arent really concernde (well, sort of) and just wanna go 2 their hotel room and sleep. this is a good time. keep writin kracked u r a world of info!:)

• 5 weeks later...

Re: never get under a fr8 for any reason

Originally posted by jekls

what about hideing from helicopters that pass over every once in a while. Or if you got the cops called and they are spotlighting you from above? (just a question)

If you have been spotted by the lights from a helicopter your done. There is no running from that.......

• 3 weeks later...

I was born in a small town, and lived right next to a very big Yard, I would cross the tracks everyday at least 4 times a day! My Dad worked and still might for Union Pacific. I would always jump them at the couplers, and even go under them. My rule was if they are going slower than i can jog...I would jump them insted of wait, usually at the couplers. Even pulling bikes over with me! Damn Good Good GOOD Informative thread! BUMPZ!

Enyway My Dad being a "Steel Erection worker" hahaha i always thought that was funny...for Union Pacific. That was my first hustle on how to talk your way out of a jam. Im no freigt watch er whatever there called, but I was able to talk my way out of trouble with the little knowledge I had on U.P. And what all goes on......

My Advice for all those without Dads with Steel Erections...Read this thread Again Again And Again......And remember it when you get jammed up by workers ,Bulls, Cops Ect.....Thanks again

In alot of cases yes. But its all about how they generalize, and bum is a bum, A Street kid is a street kid. but at the same time they have jobs to do (Mechanics anyway)But jus to cover the bases, think up Scenarios, and and practice talking your way out of them.

For example: Was caught in the yard one time, and had just finished peicing, I was on my way out. As soon as the bulls got out, I initiated conversation, went something like this...."Damn are you people ever gonna build a new Station ? That building has been there scince The Fortys!" "Whua" was there first statment. Next it went like this," I used to see my dad off from that parking lot every week, when he went out of town, That old fart is 50 years old, and hes still working here." Later on I explained I lived a few houses away, and a short cut through the yard, is always faster, beings how I know it pretty well.

Its all about letting them know you have some kind of corprete knowledge, and your not gonna be there long. I dunn know It worked for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Around how many workers are usually in a yard? like a shitload or a couple?

Im supposed to go to this really big ass yard on monday, and Its not so much the train safety im worried about (which i still am a little, but im confident i can 'treat every line like its moving'.) but Im pretty much worried about gettin chased,being that im a fatass, and im not used to paintin in a yard,or being in a yard period.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

new to yards

whats up people, thanks for all the information that everyone put in, its greatly appreciated, well, i have been wanting to paint trains for a long time, but i never had a ride to the yard or ne thing like that, its just way too far from my house, well 2 days ago me and my boy went down to where i knew there was some train action, and a little yard, that they prolly use to switch shit up in, im not sure tho, i dont really know much about yards and stuff, but i wanna learn more, cuz im pretty sure there isnt much security in our yards, but when i get my bike fixed im going to go down there and watch the trains and learn what kind of shit goes on and when they move the cars and all, but i have a few questions, we were chillen and all and there was like this one little section, there were like 3 rows of tracks, and one of the outside rows had like 15 cars on it with no engine attached or anything, were they humping these cars or just storin em there? right kind of parallel to there, there was a track comin off of those that had an engine there just chillen, my boy wanted to get inside it and shit but i was like nah man thats way too risky i dont wanna do all that, now you may call me a pussy and all, but i wasnt gonna step foot on that thing cuz i knew alot less then than i do now that i have read all this, anyways...2 questions, that make me sound really toyish but first what is a number like i read someone say not to go on the numbers or somethin like that, second, a lay-up, i understand that a lay-up is like a platform thingy what do these look like and where are they usually located, if it helps im in louisiana, pm me if you can help me with this or you can post up on here, i would greatly appreciate it thanks a million for all of your input on this subject...peace

flamerider29@hotmail.com or on aim dkpunklifeaf

a lay up is where trains go overnight and shit, waiting for the other train to pass on their rail,etc

numbers are the numbers you seen on a freight train

this is more of an artistic photo, but these are the numbers people talk about not going over, dont go over them beacuse thats how the yards/workers etc. identify what theyve got in their yards also, a train must be takin outa service if it has no numbers so your only hurtin yourself if you go over emhttp://www.fotango.com/p/eba00355480f00000015.jpg'>

it's also worth pointing out that workers are different every where you go. Like in California I've had nothing but good vibes from train workers, especially when I hopped out of the Colton yard up to Bakersfield and down a hotshot back to LA. They gave me water and even let me ride in an empty engine when I had to switch trains due to a breakdown. But in Chicago, workers will straight up shoot with air guns cuz they don't want you anywhere near their shit. My man Cos paints only daytime spots in Vancouver and my man Take5 chats with the workers anytime he's in the yards up in Canada.