Yard Safety

Guest cracked ass

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Fox Mulder

these thug kids were playing on the trains when i was at a siding in the woods taking flicks. they called me over and started bullshitting. these idiots were playing on some of the container garbage cars. i know this siding pretty well and those things don't sit still for long. i was just waiting to that shit jump and one of them fall.

my boys got video footy of some ghetto kids crossing a line of intermodals..

they were all carrying bikes over it and shit...

the whole time hes just going....

whoa...this shit is fucking crazy..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest spectr

alright this thread is shit

i just started painting trains recently but i have been hopping them for the past few years,, through my expereince in yards 90% of the time the workers are gonna be cool with you if your cool with them, ask them questions if you meet them they usually will hook you up with all the info you need to be safe in the yard ( what time new lines come into the yard, what time lines leave the yard where the bulls like to hang out, where what lines are going, who won the sox game, etc..) if you gonna paint a yard always spend alot of time scoping it out first and try to social engineer some info out of the workers, for not covering the numbers masking or duct tape, my trick is to bring stencils and copy down the numbers before hand and rewrite them when i am done. whatever you do in a yard just dont act stupid, dont go into a yard drunk high etc etc thats a good way to get killed my boy almost go himself killed a couple months ago hopping a frieght out of phillie with me cause he was drunk he was lucky and only tore a few ligaments in his leg and knee and broke his ankle, just remenber your painting around 30ton pices of metal that can travel at high speeds and can reach those speed in a few minutes.. be aware

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ctrl+alt+del
Originally posted by HOTGIRL1

I think trains are cool!

this girl makes me laugh, not because shes funny, its one of those 'so lame you have to laugh' type of comments.

Guest CatScanner

damn cracked ass, ese and everbody who contributed information and saftey tips

i was about to go paint in this yard by my boys crib(he doesnt write)all i knew was to scope it out, and not paint the numbers, i knew nothing else-- im so glad i read this shit.... keep this thread the fuck alive!!! i feel smart, and no i wont end up dead in a yard

• 2 weeks later...

another fucking idiot from the city I just left. Makes me wonder if it was suicide....

Tuesday, September 03, 2002

WINNIPEG -- One man is dead after two freight trains smashed into his vehicle yesterday, which was sliced in half, and dragged the wreckage almost five kilometres.

Emergency crews had to pry the victim's remains from a jagged tangle of metal wedged under a grain hopper car along the south Winnipeg rail line.

Police say they were able to salvage a licence plate, but had not yet identified the driver.

They could not determine the make of car.

Traffic had stopped at the crossing for a 110-car westbound freight train.

The barrier arms were down, signal lights were flashing and the train had already entered the crossing when the man drove past several vehicles already stopped, crashed through the barriers and was hit by the first train.

The car spun and was wedged into the wheels and underside of a grain hopper car.

The train continued moving west, its crew unaware of the deadly crash, until an eastbound freight train sliced off the protruding back half of the car.

Yo cracked u got your yard's locked down.How do u no so much info?My advice would be not 2 hang around & deal with workers coz some of the time the try 2 sneak up on u in numbers.Once i hear the noise of gravel being walked on im fukn outta there.No matter how well u think u no your local freight yard allways keep ya head up.

so whats the deal if theres a frequent spot of a few lines where trains happen to stop for awhile, not exactly a yard but more of a pit stop, ive been in the middle of a line and a train happens to stop there plenty long enough to piece on. what should I expect? Are they "getting up air" or switching up cars? should I be wary of humping cars? This happens a surprising amount that Ive seen from just walking down the tracks.

Dont know about the U.S but in melburn that ushally means the trains waititng on a light signal or the tracks 2 change.We call them terminaters

when they stop like that.We get that a fair bit with our passenger trains although the times u get 2 actually paint a passenger train varies from 5mins-30mins.

You should recon that spot more thoroughly, and often. First off, is it a junction? Are there 3 tracks merging to 2, or 2 merging to one? Is there a signal in front of where the engines stop? Is this just outside of a yard? If not, what's down the tracks for 2 miles in each direction? How often does another freight go by on another track while the first one is stopped? These are the things you should learn.

The short answer, though, is that if a train stops long enough to piece, and you can do so on an OUTSIDE TRACK (i.e. NOT standing on another set of tracks), and far enough back from the engines or around a curve so the crew can't see you, then you have a great opportunity - as long as you haven't misread what the spot is about. If it's a small yard or interchange (a junction where 2 railroads drop off and pick up from each other), there will be switching activity and workers walking around. But from your description it sounds to me like an in-the-hole spot, also known as a passing siding, where the tracks merge, so that a train going one way must stop and let another train coming the other way reach the doubletrack before it can proceed. These are great spots to hit if the train sits long enough. But I wouldn't hit it while standing on another track - something is probably coming on that track, or the first train wouldn't have stopped.

here's the deal, theres three lines in about a 100 yard lengthwise spot, at the end two of the lines merge and im guessing to make way for an oncoming train. I've painted the spot before (after proper exploring of course) and nothing sketch happened. the train generally stops (when Im lucky enough to stumble upon it) for about 15 - 20 minutes, always freights. Sometimes clean, some painted, once or twice it was a FLAT walled CSX cars I dont know what theyre used for but god bless the soul that had them stop there, Ive actually caught huge rollers that cover end to end which was lucky as shit cuz we had planned to catch highway spots with em and the flat cars stopped mid piece. Ive never seen a crew worker down there the 10 - 15 times ive gotten that spot. Sounds like I fell upon a tight spot, I was just wonderin why they were always stopping there, now that you mention it, a train always does seem to pass coming the other way but the freight still stays ther for awhile.

-Lucky S.O.B. who stumbled on a Tight RVA train spot

I'll never te'eell!!

EBT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Ramblers

I've never seen humping or a rambler, I guess cuz I only go to small spots...but after reading about ramblers on this thread, I got the shiznitch scared out of me.

Cracked, you said...

"This raises several safety issues: One, a train that is backing up, or cars that have been humped off, can run you down without you ever hearing an engine."

Did you mean that you can hear them (ramblers), they are just nowhere as loud as an engine, or are they completely silent?

Ramblers can be really quiet, and roll really far from where the humping action took place. If it's real quiet in your area when a rambler (or group of them) approaches, you'll probably hear creaks and groans, but don't count on it. And as I said, any other source of noise in your area (idling engine, running reefer car) will mask a rambler's approach.

Many ramblers wind up colliding with other cars parked on the line they are shunted to, making a noise ranging from something like a bank vault door closing, to a loud BOOM! If they're humping in a hurry, or it's a trainee engineer, they sometimes shove them harder and faster than they should, and the collisions are fun and almost scary to witness. (The railroads who are concerned with customer service don't like to see these higher-speed collisions, because they can jar the freight inside the car and possibly damage it, as well as possibly damaging the car itself, so some of them print messages on the ladder like "handle car with care" or "no more than 4!", meaning "don't hump this car at more than 4 miles an hour".) If you hear those loud booms and bangs coming from a yard, they're humping, and ramblers are afoot.

I remember the first time I saw some rambling cars in my yard, there were 4 of them together just rolling merrily along, away from an engine and a couple brakemen, and I was like "Hey! There's a runaway train!" It took me a minute to understand they were doing it on purpose. At my yard there was a good spot to sit and watch the humping action, and one time they humped a flatcar down near me, two tracks away. It was weird to see this long, low, menacing sharklike thing cruising silently down the siding. It was no more than four feet high at any point but it would have flattened me and kept rolling at a serene 5mph if I had been in the way.

• Like 1

Cracked-

So all you can do is make sure to look around alot while your painting to see if anything is coming down the track next to the line your painting?

Anything else?

This topic is the best ever, a couple years ago I was looking around trying to find safety info, it would have been great if I had found this back then.

yeah i almost got bagged 2 nights ago, ive been going to this yard for about 2 years, always chill, but the other night i have a cop car rolling on a bridge by me with a spotlight, then it went by and i went down the tracks away from the bridge more and hid, then im watching cops with flashlights all around where i was, then i have even more lights(the car spotlight) all around the whole line of trains i was hiding behind,i just stayed hidden for a bout an hour tille they left, then another 20minuted just to make sure, shit, the morale of the story is, no matter how many precautions your taking in your yard, u never know if theres other people not taking these precautions and blowing up your spot, so everyone needs to know how to take care of your spot and even as careful as you are, always expect your yard being hot and have everything(paint,bag,beer,whatever) ready to go

• 2 weeks later...

well i just found the coolest yard...

anyways, i got a few questions on some things i noticed...

one train was pared up the tracks a little... it was making that sound that the brake lines release but it was doint it from the two front main engines and it was kinda ticking like that stopwatch on 60 minutes.... no other cars were releasing anything except for the occasional boxcar hissing...

does this mean the train is getting ready to move or is it gonna be there a while or waht? if im not mistaken this same train was there two nights ago when i drove past....

also, when trains are stopped like that overnight or for long periods of time, is there sleeping quarters or anything for the engineers in the main engines? not like im gonna, but if i were to go paint the engine, would i risk a conductor coming out of a door right beside me?

someone needs to explain the whole "waht happens when a train stops" thing for me :)

shadeone

I'm not interested in helping anyone who wants to paint engines. Don't even bring that up. And yes, if you're near any stopped engine somebody could pop out at any time, or approach it and get in.

If you're looking at engines hooked to lines, or even just idling, you are in the wrong part of the yard to paint. Don't paint in view of an engine if you can avoid it.

Workers don't need sleeping quarters. They either sleep at home or in a motel if the job they're on leaves them far from home at the end of their shift. One crew doesn't stay with a train from origin to destination. They'll run one leg, then a fresh crew will show up and run the next leg. The railroad pays for motels and a cab ride from train to motel or vice versa. Most railroad jobs are regular or semi-regular routes so a routine has usually been worked out for how to keep workers close to home and reduce the amount shelled out for motels and cab rides. By union rules a crew is not allowed to work more than a certain number of consecutive hours (usually 12, sometimes less). Once the end of their shift arrives, they must park the train somewhere (a yard or passing siding); this is called "outlawing", and happens a lot if unscheduled delays occur on the train route. A new crew will have to be found and taxied out to the train to resume motion. (They can't just park a train any old place; if it looks like they aren't going to make their destination point before the end of the shift they'll work out an arrangement with the dispatcher as to where to park, and cab rides and motel or whatever.) A crew that runs a train a long distance one way during their shift will often stay in a motel, then the next day they'll be picked to run a different train going the other way, so they end up at home the second night.

As for the noises the trains are making: if you're hearing a hiss of air, and the ticking noise, that train will not be there for long. As I said you shouldn't be painting in view of engines, so I'd try to find a line with no engine attached. At my first regular yard, I stuck to painting the safer, quieter side for an entire year, learning the habits, patterns, and tendencies of the traffic, before attempting to venture deeper for better cars and riskier opportunities.

The type of question you're asking tells me you need more experience, both in general and also specific to that yard, before you should be painting near live lines and parked engines. That's always the area where you're most likely to get rolled on by workers and bulls. They're always coming and going from the office to the engines. It's the worst place to try and paint. Try another area and spend a lot of time just watching shit, learning patterns.