Yard Safety

Guest cracked ass

• 2 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

That's mainly on subway and light rail tracks. The third rail, which runs down the middle between the two other tracks, has electricity running through it. If you step on it it will electrocute you and yes you will die.

For freights it's the part of the trac that they use to change directions with. If they hapen to change it while your futs on that part it will get caught. The only way to get it out is to let the train come and saw your leg right straight off.

I don't know. Perhaps there is someone who can explain this better than me.:eek:

• 4 weeks later...

cracked said

"Basically, if you are between lines and one line starts to move, and you don't have a deathwish, you must stop whatever you're doing and either get out or at least pay close attention to what's going on. Move to the nearest end of the car you're next to of the stopped line, climb the ladder and either cross over and wait, or stand on the back walkway with a FIRM handgrip (in case that line also moves suddenly). "

On cars that don't have a crosswalk, but do have a ladder on the back and front of the car (like some gondolas) is it just as safe to hold onto this ladder as it would be to stand on the crosswalk and hold on? I'm not talking about the ladders on the sides.

That works, but you must keep a firm grip, in case the car you are clinging to moves suddenly. It's happened to me plenty of times (two or more adjacent lines moving at around the same time). Of course, if it's so busy that adjacent lines are moving simultaneously, you are probably in a poor spot to be painting or even fucking around at all.

I have a question...

Here is a picture of a spot I know

track 1 __________________________________________________

track 2 _________________________________________

track 3 /_________________________________________

track 4 /__x_______________________________________________

tracks 2 and 3 are sidings off of track 4, and the x is me. All tracks are empty except 4. Tracks 2 and 3 are about a half mile long, and I only go there at night.

Occasionally engines come down track one, and you can see their headlight when they are about a mile away. When I see one coming I cross over tracks 3,2, and one and hide in the woods until the engine passes by and is out of sight. The problem is that when I look both ways before crossing the tracks, the headlight shines right in my eye. I'm worried that the headlight shining in my eye would make it hard to see anything else coming towards me down one of the other tracks from the same direction, perhaps backing up.

I think that if something was backing up towards me down one of the other tracks it would block my view of the headlight and be backlit by it therefore making it visible. Does anyone have any input on this situation?

Painting the other side of track 4 is not an option and neither is crossing over the cars on track 4 because they usually don't have crosswalks.

hmm...

i'm guessing the light dosen't go very far width-wise, and the engineer is concentrating on what's directly ahead. what kind of cars don't have crosswalks ? maybe you could just go down line #4 when an engine comes, and look for one with a crosswalk. that sounds like much of a hassle than going all the way to the other side of line 1.

• 2 weeks later...

alright im kinda new to trains. ive only been painting them for about a month or so. i havent ever painted in yards yet but where i do paint its the trains that stop for a couple days and where workers unload them into werehouses and such. just wondering if anyone else paints at these places, if they are safe to paint at (getting caught, hurt, whatever) also, whats the difference between these and layups? thanks for any information, i dont want to find out ive been getting lucky and one day get caught or killed.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to post this due the large number of repeat offenders. I have read this thread from beginning to end and found the same shit coming up over and over due the lack of reading and comprehension skills. Start from page one before asking another retarded question. This thread is way to helpul to be overlooked. Keep the rails rockin!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

next summer i'm moving to europe and even though slightly different i imagine these tips will help me a lot...i'll be living right across the street from a train station which also does all the "humping", there is always sleeping trains there as well...however its a ghetto ass area full of russians and MY biggest fear is meeting some punk ass thugs, not even the railworkers, should i get a gun??? do any of u paint trains in ghetto areas???

• 3 weeks later...

Most yards are located in what some people would call "ghetto" areas. Trainyards tend to lower the land value around them, most cities will buy the land and build public housing projects. Since most yards were built years ago, they tend to be in innercity areas. The exception would be newer or recently built intermodal terminals which tend to locate in the outskirts area where alot of logistics, warehousing, and business parks are located. Because of the locations of trainyards and their proximity to low income areas, crimes against the railroads are common. I know a retired city cop, who I swear looks like Richard Pryor, and he tells me stories about working w/ the railroad police kicking in doors in the housing projects busting up railroad theft rings. I know theirs cats on here who have crazy stories as well from their areas. If you can't handle the consequences or be prepared to act when a certain situation arises in a trainyard, layup, dock spot, mainline track, or whatever, my best advice would be to stay out...

• 2 weeks later...

some of the questions im seeing...you guys need to learn a few more things. better get someone to show you around before you walk in all high and mighty. shits not a joke its dangerous. know where your lines come from, where they go, all the ways in and out and the surrounding area. you learn by benching and go in to royal farms and its called ADC. or mapquest your city if you got a highspeed internet or bored in school. i look foreward to seein your trains roll through my spots...

i thank got i read this thread b4 i went to the yards 2day...i was climbin a car and out of nowhere i see another rollin 2wards me so i jumped off and messed up my foot a lil bit but if i hadn't read this earlier i wouldnt have paid as much attention and would have been screwed...thank you

][V][ ][ C ][D []

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure what things are like in the US, but in Australia, any employee working near live tracks is required to wear a reflective saftey vest. Most times now, if I'm on Railway property where I shouldn't be, I'll wear one. Not only do you look like an employee, (who is authorised to be there) you also have the added bonus of being more likely to be seen by a train crew if you're in the way.

I was walking through this one yard yesterday, and I'm walking passed some oil tanker cars. All of a sudden I hear, *ping, ping, ping!* so I stopped(scared the shit outta me), because I thought someone else was in the yard. It almost sounded like somebody throwing little pebbles into the tanker car. So I walked around to the front of the oil tanker, and listened again, *ping, ping ping!* Does anybody know what this is? Because it happened to every oil tanker car in the yard.

Pinging tankers are letting off small pressure increases. They have something called a pressure release device which blows off a little steam when pressure rises in the tanker. (Just air comes out, not any dangerous chemicals.)

Tankers often heat up in the sun (especially black ones - ever wear all black on a hot day?), slightly raising the internal pressure, which is taken care of by those short, pinging releases of air. I was startled the first time it happened to me, by a line way out in the boonies with nobody around. That used to be a nice spot.

Originally posted by Cracked Ass

Pinging tankers are letting off small pressure increases. They have something called a pressure release device which blows off a little steam when pressure rises in the tanker. (Just air comes out, not any dangerous chemicals.)

Tankers often heat up in the sun (especially black ones - ever wear all black on a hot day?), slightly raising the internal pressure, which is taken care of by those short, pinging releases of air. I was startled the first time it happened to me, by a line way out in the boonies with nobody around. That used to be a nice spot.

damn man! graffiti encylopedia! You are a world of knowledge. Thanks for all the tips!