my jury duty experience

mapo returns

So I was all hyped to be on a jury. I was originally scheduled for July 2nd. I called the voice message thing the night before as my summons instructed, and it told me not to report. I was like fuck that, so I got on the phone with a person who deals with the jury shit, and told her I want to be on a jury. So she re-scheduled me for the 7th. Good lookin.

I wake up at 6:00 this morning and head over to downtown West Palm Beach. I get there around 7:30, and felt like a baller because I get to park in the garage for free. They sit us all down and shit, and we watch a video. Then they tell us we can go do whatever and when we hear our name on the intercom to report back. Finally I hear my name at about 9:30. The first thing they tell us is that its a civil trial and nobody is going to jail. Fuck. I wanted a criminal trial. So they take us up to the 10th floor and we wait there for like a half hour. Then they bring us in and the judge talks to us for a little bit. Tells us the case is a medical maplractice lawsuit. Ok this could be good I think..

They didnt give any specifics but from what they did tell us plus what the questioning seemed to indicate.. in 1996 a 10 year old boy fell of his horse. He developed some type of brain tumor or something. He went to the hospital and apparently the radiologist who looked at his x-rays didnt diagnose his findings properly. The boy died. Now the family is suing the radiologist for maplractice. They estimated the trial would be 7-10 days.

We had 35 people in the pool and I believe only 6 were picked. But I thought my odds were decent since we had about 15 people who got themselves kicked out by saying things such as 'i cant possibly be partial because I have kids', 'i was so distraught when you showed the boys picture I had to take a tranquilizer during our lunch break', and 'Im a Jehovahs Witness'. Yes those were all actually said. When they read off some possible expert witnesses they may call the Jehovahs Witness guy claimed he sent his son to one of them..even though the guy practiced all the way in north Florida.

This part fucking sucked. We had to all be asked questions..one by one..by the prosecutors. This combined with his speeches and attempts at humor lasted like 2 1/2 hours. Then the defense comes up and takes about an hour. It wasnt until 4:30 when they named the jurors. They didnt call me to the jury. Im fucking pissed. I wanted to be on the jury.

Fuck everybody.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by DripOfAWish

you've got to be the first person i've ever heard of who wanted to be selected for jury duty. I got called once and acted like a drug addicted confused idiot and they dismissed me. The rest of the box looked at me with envy as i was the only one with the audacity to act that way.

yeah, or maybe they thought you were just stupid for 'acting' the way you did when you could have just said 'I'm a Jehova's Witness' or something... I personally prefer to take a racist slant and seek an opportunity to expound on how the 'mud races' are destroying the true racial purity of our nation...

but I also watch a bunch of Court TV so I KNOW how to get kicked off a jury!

yeah, it works even beter when all the litigants are white, because then it's so 'left field' that I can't even spout 5 minutes of nonsense before I'm excused (WITH a FREE lunch and like $2.45 for taking off work!)

I dont know if Jehovahs Witnesses get excused.

The guy just said that since he was a Jehovahs Witness he couldnt side with either side. Whatever he meant by that.

We had to pay for our own lunch.

Even the people who were going to be excused didnt leave until they selected the final jurors. One lady currently had a malpractice lawsuit against a doctor, her son died too and she cried whenever she brought it up. Theres a better chance of finding WMD's in Iraq than there was of this lady getting on the jury..but they kept her until the end.

As far as the car, I was all set to do it that night, I think I even posted about it. But I needed a getaway car and as we were circling the block my boy pussied out of it and I couldnt. Im definitely down to do it but its a little too risky without the getaway car and lookout.

Fully Informed Jury Association (FIJA)

You guys should check out the FIJA and what the U.S. Federal law says about your rights as a juror and "jury nullification." The powers-that-be don't want you to know what the FIJA is trying to tell everybody, which is that "A jury sits in judgement of BOTH THE LAW AND THE FACTS OF THE CASE." Bad law? Juries can contravene it. Example: In the 1840's runaway slaves haul ass north to states where slavery is not legal. Slave chasers pursue them there, and charge the abolitionists who assisted the slaves to escape with stealing the slaveowner's property. (This was illegal, even in "free" states.) When the abolitionist-friendly attorney's got to voir dire (questioning the jury pool) they made sure at least two or three anti-slavery jurors made it. When the jury had heard the case, and went to the jury room, the abolitionist jurors convinced everybody else to "nullify" the trial. So, even though the abolitionists on trial were guilty, Northern juries refused to convict them, much to the consternation of the slave chasers. This is called "JURY NULLIFICATION."

Marijuana trial, anyone?

Do NOT refuse jury duty.....

What would happen if like you were get on a jury and suddenly change the way you acted. Like you started misbehaving in the courtroom, like excessive and loud belching, every 15 minutes you askto use "The Pisser" (of course youd stay in the bathroom for like 20 minutes) Then you detonate a fart bomb. Make those armpit farts and stuff. Looked at everyone crosseyed. Pretended to go temporarily deaf.. Pretend to be an undiagnosed narcoleptic..or better yet schizophrenic

What would happen then? Can jurors be put into contempt?

Originally posted by B_As_In_Bot

What would happen then? Can jurors be put into contempt?

i think so. and thats what alternates are for.

although they didnt seem to have alternates for the civil trial, so i dont know. i happen to know if a juror, during the middle of a trial, complains that he/she feels threatened by the defendant or their family..a mistrial is called. same if a juror discusses the case with other jurors before they hit the jury room.

If you misbehave in the Courtroom, the judge can charge you with contempt of court. He can charge anybody in the Courtroom, or anybody who has been subpoenaed with contempt of court if they do anything he tells them not to do, or fails to do anything he tells them to do. However, he cannot tell the jury how to rule.

Judges are supposed to be nothing more than a referee between the lawyers in a courtroom. THE JURY SITS IN JUDGEMENT OF THE LAW AND THE FACTS OF THE CASE, NOT THE JUDGE.

Jury duty has been turned into some kind of boring ass shit duty to deprive people of one of their fundamental rights--the right to a trial BY A JURY OF YOUR PEERS.

Don't pussy out on jury duty. Go up there, dress "respectable," try to get on the jury, and then do the right thing by the defendant. Sometimes the defendant is a sorry piece of shit, but the State cannot prove their case. Sometimes the defendant looks like he walks on water, but he's guilty as shit, and the State can prove it. If they prove it, he goes to jail. If not, he walks. That's the system, and it works pretty well---as long as people like you and me don't pussy out on jury duty.

Archived