CKY/ CKY2K

Harpo Marx

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Trend:

pardon my stupidity, but i have never seen either CKY or CKY2K... and have never seen the guys involved until Jackass... just out of curiosity, what does CKY stand for?

Camp Kill Yourself (CKY) is the name of Jess Margera's (Bam's brother) metal band.

You can order cky and cky2k at www.411vm.com, or buy a cd of cky songs and other pranks from http://www.rakeyohn.com.

The football skit with Ehren and Steve-O on jackass last night was pretty funny. I like the Bam, Bran,Ryan etc skits better,.. but last nights were lame. All it showed them doing was skating, biking and running around in a hot dog outfit.

*BUMP*

"Making the leap to fame"

Bam Margera, 21, of Chester County, has made a comfortable living off skateboarding.

Bam Margera skates for the sky. (Jonathan Wilson/Inquirer)By Robert Moran

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Let's go to the tape: Bam Margera, 21, is about to leap off a Wilmington-area bridge into a river 50 feet below. Taking a page from the Wile E. Coyote book of famous stunts, he is holding an open picnic umbrella.

Of course, he drops like a stone, screaming an expletive as he tilts forward into an unintended belly flop.

"I was hoping to float like Mary Poppins," Margera concedes ruefully, "but it didn't work out so well."

Just another day's work for Margera, a professional skateboarder and one of the stars of MTV's Jackass, the anything-goes cavalcade of stupid-human tricks and gutter wit.

But it more than pays the bills for Margera, a high school dropout who now earns enough from skating endorsements to drive a black 1996 Audi A4 and a blue 2000 Audi S4, and to cough up a $100,000 down payment recently for a new house in a wooded enclave not far from his childhood hometown just outside West Chester.

His success is testimony to the growing popularity and influence of skateboarding, now a $900 million business and the anchor sport of the ESPN X Games, which start next month in Philadelphia. His brand of thrills, spills and humor also appeals to a wider audience demanding entertainment that pushes the envelope, as evidenced by shows like Fear Factor and Spy TV, the network stepchildren of cable TV's Jackass.

Besides being a poster child for arrested development, the amiable, wavy-haired Margera, measuring just under 5-foot-10 and weighing about 145 pounds, is a "hottie," according to messages posted on the Internet by adoring females.

At his old house, across the street from a sewage-treatment plant on South Concord Road in West Goshen, the girls - some traveling from out of state - left him love notes or sneaked around to get a glimpse.

"They would hide behind bushes and film him," said Ryan Gee, a close friend and photographer for TransWorld Skateboarding magazine.

The footage of Margera leaping off the bridge will be included on new videotapes of similar stunts and skateboarding footage. The premiere party for the videos will be held Aug. 19 at the Trocadero Theater at 10th and Arch Streets.

The party coincides with the X Games but is not an official event. Nonetheless, it will likely be the must-attend bash for top professional skateboarders in town to compete.

Margera also will shoot scenes at the party for an independent film he co-wrote that will be distributed by Universal Pictures.

So what do Margera's parents make of his fame and fortune?

"It's unbelievable, and then it's unbelievable," said his mother, April Margera, 45, a hairdresser.

As for the death-defying antics and occasional gross-out gags, sometimes involving urine and excrement, his parents take most of it in stride. But some things disturb them - like the time Margera jumped off the sixth floor of a hotel into a swimming pool.

He has yet to suffer any serious injuries.

"He was born learning how to fall," his mother said.

Brandon Margera got the nickname "Bam Bam" - later just Bam - as a child.

"He was bamming into stuff," his mother said. "He was a jump-off-the-coffee-table kind of kid."

He made it to 11th grade at West Chester East High School before he dropped out after run-ins with school administrators over his prankish behavior (though his mother points out he later got his GED).

He then spent time in California honing his skateboarding skills. There he met the other future stars of Jackass, including P.J. Clapp, aka Johnny Knoxville.

Knoxville and others were making stunt videos for a skate magazine called Big Brother. Margera had been compiling similar footage when he was back in West Chester.

"They were doing their thing and I was doing my thing on the East Coast," Margera said. "And they're like, 'Yo, we got to get together and do this.' "

Eventually, Jackass was born. Much of the early material came from the Big Brother tapes and Margera's videos, CKY (1999) and CKY2K (2000).

CKY? That stands for Camp Kill Yourself, in the sense of having a lot of laughs and doing stuff that gets you roughed up.

"That's our crew in West Chester," Margera said. "And it's a band as well and they just got signed to Island [Records] for like a ridiculous amount of money. And they're on tour right now with the Deftones."

Margera's brother Jess, 22, is a member of the band. Other members of the crew include Brandon DiCamillo and Ryan Dunn, both of whom also are featured on Jackass.

Even his father, Phil Margera, 44, who works at an Acme bakery, has appeared on the show, usually as the victim of a rude Bam assault.

The CKY videos feature Margera and his friends jumping off buildings, falling out of trees, running into moving cars, and, of course, skating at Love Park and at FDR Skatepark under Interstate 95 in South Philadelphia. The forthcoming videos, CKY3 (on two tapes), will have a lot of the same.

And the movie? It's about Margera's friend and Jackass co-star Ryan Dunn. Most of it will be shot around West Chester starting in October.

"His girlfriend pretty much cheated on him with like 10 people behind his back," Margera said of the movie's premise. The film is "based on a true story, but we're making it a bit gnarlier than the way it really happened."

The movie will be called either Your Life is Haggard or simply Haggard.

"Haggard," Margera said, "is like our word for pathetic."

Margera will not compete in the X Games, though he plans to be there so he can cheer for his friend Kerry Getz, a pro skater based in Philadelphia.

For the video premiere party, Margera is paying $13,000 to fly in from Finland his favorite band, HIM - His Infernal Majesty - to perform.

As he ventures further into nonskating territory, he remains active in skating. He recently toured the country with skateboard legend Tony Hawk.

With a rosy outlook either way, Margera is the master of his jackass fate.

"I can do a movie or I can do skating and still make the same amount of money," he said. "So it's pretty much whatever I feel like doing."

Originally posted by -Rage-:

I just bought my ticket to see CKY live and the sneak preview of CKY3 in Philly.

The show at the TROC? I really want to go....just to see the preview of CKY3.

I honestly don't know why Bam likes that band HIM so much. He should've gotten Pig Destroyer to play instead.

Speaking of HIM,...

Is that was Bam is listening to in the skit where he is trying to wake up his brother, by standing on his bed above him, and acting like he was playing the guitar solo on a bass while punching him in the head??

Even ever notice that Bam is wearing sweatpants in that skit? what the fuck?? jesus...

Originally posted by ZENYTH.ASP:

Speaking of HIM,...

Is that was Bam is listening to in the skit where he is trying to wake up his brother, by standing on his bed above him, and acting like he was playing the guitar solo on a bass while punching him in the head??

Even ever notice that Bam is wearing sweatpants in that skit? what the fuck?? jesus...

Yes, it's at the Trocadero. I think that was HIM playing when Bam is punching Jess in the head.

• 1 year later...

Archived