Company plans to generate electricity by burning cows

Agt. Adopus

Fat from cows killed as a precaution during the height of the BSE crisis could be used to power industry on Teesside, it was revealed today.

Health chiefs stressed that the proposal would not pose a danger to the public.

The plan has been drawn up by SembCorp Utilities Teesside, which generates steam and electrical power for many of the chemical companies in the area and also sells surplus electricity to the National Grid.

It is negotiating with the Government's Rural Payments Agency (RPA) to buy about 100,000 tonnes of tallow - rendered animal fat - which it will burn to fuel its power station at Wilton.

The fat comes from cattle aged over 30 months that were no longer permitted to enter the food chain and were slaughtered as part of the BSE control measures.

It was done as a precaution and none of these cattle had any signs of the BSE infection, the company stresses.

Teesside public health expert Ian Holtby said: "We feel there are no risks to the general population using this tallow as a fuel, bearing in mind the source of this material."

The workforce has been briefed by the company and union leader Mike Brider said they were happy to handle it "as long as it's approved as safe to work with".

A full consultation process involving MPs, councillors, environmental health and public health officials and the public, has been launched.

Paul Gavens, SembCorp Utilities Teesside managing director, said: "We have many years of experience in managing a wide variety of fuel sources at the station and believe we can carry out this task safely and efficiently."

The Environment Agency will decide if the tallow can be used at the power station.

The scheme is part of a long-term aim by SembCorp to generate power by more environmentally friendly means using renewable fuel sources.

The company is seeking a £10m Government grant to finance a £38m new steam boiler and electricity turbine at Wilton.

Taking two years to build, the unit would generate power from a wide range of 'biomass', which is plant or animal material.

The plans have been welcomed by unions chiefs, council leaders and MPs.

Ashok Kumar, MP for Middlesbrough South and East Cleveland: said: "As an engineer I can see no technical problems at all and it seems a benign way of dealing with what is a serious storage problem."

He added: "I also understand that SembCorp's other proposals include using natural coppice wood, which again can take the place of irreplaceable fossil fuel. In the light of the announcement earlier this week that Britain could face power cuts within 20 years if we do not widen our source of fuels, this announcement is very timely indeed."

Carole Zagrovic, a Teesside-based community worker with Friends of the Earth, said local people needed to know the scientific data behind the plans and details of any risk assessments. She said: "Let's have a look at the research."

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Don't Panic

Humans just keep rockin on with our innovative selfs.

So what's the problem?

i don't see a problem with it..but what happens when there are no more cows to burn?..then what to when i have a craving for some good ol' fashion fast food?..

vegan protests..people stop eatting cows..people find new ways to use cows..cows make heat..heat warms house..house keeps vegan warm..all equal a happy vegan...trust me,everyone loves a warm house..

Archived