Riding bike from New York to SF

SkyFlax

I have about $1000 cash, a decent mountain bike, and other essentials, and i'm seriously thinking about bouncing on all my responsibilties in NYC and ruffing it for awhile. I wanna ride my bike from the east coast to the west. I am kinda serious about it. ha anyone have any ideas or susggesstions.

I was just gonna take a plane somewhere and ruff it for awhile regardless, but I think by riding I'd experience alot more.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

honestly..you should take a camcorder with you..and chill out and prepare your self for it for about a week so you don't hit philly and just drop dead..be safe..but..umm..when you get there what are you gonna do turn back?..

Originally posted by R. Heydrich

Actually I love bike riding, that sounds like a really good idea. Have fun...

ok i'm lost..do you agree with him going or not?..first a thmbs up..then a thumbs down?..

My man and his lady took 30 days and bike from san fran to vermont. they accepted one ride from a trucker for a 100 miles out of the rockies in a storm. Its definatley doable. But right now is the worst time to go. Its retarded to ride across the us during the hottest part of the year, wait till september.

Originally posted by ARCEL

switching gears makes the effort you put into pedaling more effecient

BEST ADVICE EVER!

Great idea by the way. You gonna camp out or hit up cheap hotels?

This will require an insane amount of planning. Imagine how hard it is to find a good place to sleep in your own town for your budget/needs. Now multiply that by the fact you won't know anything about the towns and will be spending more than one night out.

At least bring a digital camera. This is a great idea.

Originally posted by mr_president

fucking dope idea, ive thought about doing something very similiar, but not on my bike though...

$1000 bucks aint much...

for a trip around the states like i was planning... hitting atleast 1 main city in each state, i planned on needing like $10 g's and it would take like a year or two... shit would be ill though...

stop through texas if ya go :D

why dont you just ride a missle into hell you fucking dickbag.

I think its a great idea, but do you know how to fix your bike if something breaks? Do you have small light weight tools? Get info on hostils all over where you might stay, they are super cheap, and you dont have to worry about bringing camping gear. Do you have enough for a plane ticket back?There are a lot of things to consider. Id be into riding a harley cross country that would be sick.

Originally posted by SkyFlax

I have about $1000 cash, a decent mountain bike, and other essentials, and i'm seriously thinking about bouncing on all my responsibilties in NYC and ruffing it for awhile. I wanna ride my bike from the east coast to the west. I am kinda serious about it. ha anyone have any ideas or susggesstions.

I was just gonna take a plane somewhere and ruff it for awhile regardless, but I think by riding I'd experience alot more.

That sounds sooooo very exciting!!! Hope you actually do it and have a fabulous time.

i know 3 people who have done coast to coast cycling..

...2 were women

having a bike trailer

information about camping and a tent

and money

will help so much

of course essentials..

bike repair stuff..this is why a simple bike is better..you only need one gear really, although 3 might be nice..and a front brake

water/food

clothes

and maybe a companion or two?

you could make it an educational documentary. i bet you could find funding from somewhere for a trip like this, some sort of sponsor. might make it more regimented, but a good way to fund it. i bet you could put some sort of ad on ya and have someone pay ya. just think about it and be motivated.

also i would suggest going with someone, a solo ride might not be such a good idea, but sounds like tons of fun and some excellent memories.

don't listen to all these guys

i bet all the people who think it would be nuts haven't even attempted anything like it.

i think it could be easy and relaxed and cheap as long as you have a good map and a tent

trust me

those girls handled it.

no problemo

and they were tryin to get somewhere

not just meander

Re: i know 3 people who have done coast to coast cycling..

Originally posted by !@#$%

...2 were women

any chance these 2 were from SF? If so...they crashed in my house one night.

$1000 is plenty of money. Get a bivy and sleep wherever and whenever you can. Hell, you might even be able to get people to let you stay in their yards or houses. I'm sure the 12oz underground could find you a place to stay in almost every big city.

Just think out your food choices carefully. You're gonna want lots of carbs for energy and lots of protein for muscle recovery.

Archived