Web Design Nerds..frame frustration

siloette

Lately Ive been messing around with frames on my site. More and more Ive been looking at other sites and getting influenced by iframes. Easy code and they look great..Especially for the look Im trying to pull off. But when I fucked around with iframes I noticed that you cant see them in Netscape 4.7 and had to go back to framesets even though they bother me. I want my sections to stay lined up. I use explorer myself.

Wouldnt people using iframes want everyone to be able to see thier site?. It seems like iframes are everywhere now. Is there something I dont know about? Are designers just not caring about netscape users to get the better look than framesets? (Im about to be at that point)

Is there a way to make them available to netscape? Maybe by wrapping them in ilayers? Im mean people arent even using noframes..Seems like Netscape is getting the dick on this one.

So I guess what Im asking is Frameset or iframe?

and why.

http://www.siloette.com

Sorry to everyone else that has to read this html crap. Im frustrated.

:bawling:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

def anything before netscape 6 will not support iframes. Ussually in the noframes or inbetween the open close iframe you can put soem explanitory text telling people to upgrade or miss out on content.

the big problem with the frame set is not being abe to bookmork a paticular frame with in the frame set. Which is probably a major reason 12oz isnt framed.

I love the iframe its really nice but you either need to know your visitors will have the more then the lcd of browsers.

gently suggest to people that they upgrade to a something 6 or above for netscape to 'get the best results'

man i love web design talk.

Originally posted by LungFactory

Use Dreamweaver, update that shit , and figure that shit out for yourself

I started out using wysiwyg editors like Dreamweaver. But I didnt like the lack of control. I like to know the formula behind what Im building. I started this whole web design thing in December so Im still learning. I never knew it was such a challenge but so fun at the same time.

Thats cool so netscape 6 does support iframes?

Theres nothing worse then going to show someone your site and it doesnt show up.

Ill look more into javascript as well.

Thanks mr. president for the nice words. Mac and I have been working really hard lately. We need a vacation.

:sick:

Im still not sure exactly what Im going to do yet..( to answer your question from training bible Scott ). I thought there were more web nerds on 12oz for some reason.

Im still in limbo because I like my site to be available for more browsers then less. But I hate framesets and I want a site Im happy with to add to my portfoilio..

Scott- What do you mean bookmark with in the page?

siloete- bookmarks. if i get a page on you sight that i like and want to go back there imediately without having to navagate from the home page. ill book mark the page, in IE its called favorites.

the frame set causes a problem because when you bookmark the page the url of the frameset document gets remembered not the acttual urls of the individual documents that make up the frameset. so when i click on the book mark it loads the intial frameset document. Instead of going to the pages you wanted to bookmark.

does this make sense?

i can re-explain it if need be.

Bigpoppa.k-Thanks for those links. And thanks for those statistics. Im going to do a bit of spring cleaning and give my site a face lift very soon.

Thanks home slice Scott- for some reason I knew what you meant by bookmarking I just call it something else and wanted to double check.

Now I have to find an art and design school that isnt a joke yet doesnt cost my first born child in cost.