Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CAPiTA

The Aphex Face

This is so fucking crazy. I found out about this awhile ago while reading threads on a headphone forum (headfi). On track two of Aphex Twin's cd Windowlicker, if run through a spectograph program calledSpectogram, a face shows up. Use these settings...

http://www.tp.spt.fi/~cleth/projects/aphexface/aphex_settings.gif'>

and set it to a linear scale, and you will obtain the face

http://www.tp.spt.fi/~cleth/projects/aphexface/aphex.gif'>

However, this is not the only image on the CD. Numerous other images can be found.

Spiral at the end of Track 1

http://www.tp.spt.fi/~cleth/projects/aphexface/aphex_spiral.gif'>

Pattern on Track 2

http://www.tp.spt.fi/~cleth/projects/aphexface/aphex_pattern.gif'>

Swirl on Track 2

http://www.tp.spt.fi/~cleth/projects/aphexface/aphex_swirl.gif'>

Although the last three might not be as cool, if you run other songs through the program, you never get any kind of image, just a bunch of lines and blobs and shit.

Honestly though, whoever first found this must have literally shit themselves on the spot.

Originally posted by CAPiTA

Honestly though, whoever first found this must have literally shit themselves on the spot.

To say the least ...

That's pretty hot. Have you tried it out yourself?

known about it for awhile...neat stuff....

there are some interesting things about his song titles, too

there's another one, but i can't remember the url...

it lists all anagrans, etc. for song titles...heh

edit for bad url...here's one....

FAQ

you'd shown me that before, but it still is awesome everytime. I wonder if rage knows about this, being the aphex fan he is...someone will need to rebump this when he gets back up in here.

yeah, if anyone else knows of that aphex twin anagram site, fill me in. i think it was aphextwin.nu, but it appears to have changed quite a bit

Re: Re: The Aphex Face

Originally posted by Poop Man Bob

Have you tried it out yourself?

I just set it all up and it worked. If anyone else is considering trying it, you have to wait a little ways into the song. I can't remember how long, 1-3 minutes. I was figuring it wasn't going to work, then i pulled it up again in the background and the face was just going by. The face comprises about 3-6 seconds of audio. I'll try and get a pic up soon, but I'm in a rush to get out the door right now. By the way, the song is called...well, its a symbol...but just type aphex twin - symbol and you'll find it. I'll be back tomorrow with my own pics.

This puzzles me.

The different wavelengths of sound couldn't be used to make that face, could they?

I must know how that was done.

Re: This puzzles me.

Originally posted by effyoo

The different wavelengths of sound couldn't be used to make that face, could they?

I must know how that was done.

The program I used, which I included a link of, is called spectogram. Basically, it's a program that visualizes the sound spectrum, not really wavelengths. I'm not sure about this, but I think that its like a graph, with one axis being frequency, and the other being time. I don't really know what I'm talking about. It definately does work though. I'll have my own pics up in a bit, I'm just having a problem getting them small enough that my photo-hosting site will take them. I'll go work on it now.

Originally posted by SukiSukiNow

Interesting, I have that CD so I will have to try it.

Just so you know, the files have to be in wave format, so make sure to rip them into that.

Originally posted by BigOatser

shit is wild children

hahaha, that reminds me of some camp counselor telling ghost stories to little kids....

shit really is wild though.... That Richard James guy is a kook.

it wouldnt suprise me if this happened in tool songs as well.

but damn, that shit is amazing.

Uhhh, since i don't feel like going through all that, let me just ask, what does that little segment sound like? is it static or something that sounds out of place?

Originally posted by spooney luv

aphex twin - flim

Originally posted by Dirty_habiT

^^I can sleep to that song, it's calming.

Very true, one of my favorite Aphex Twin songs.

Originally posted by Kyuzo

Uhhh, since i don't feel like going through all that, let me just ask, what does that little segment sound like? is it static or something that sounds out of place?

Well, the whole songs is really out of control, but let me go check..............alright, I just listened to it as it was doing the scan, and the face comes in at around 5 minutes into the song, during a part where different "loops" are coming in and out of the song. I put quotations around loops because they're really not loops if you've ever heard an aphex twin song, they're just short bars of wierd sounds that never repeat. The akward thing was that just before and just after the face, it sounded a little like a woman screaming. haha, that's Richard James for you. I found a # of other sweet patterns; crazy lightning bolts, things that look like water, etc that definately were not just part of the song accidentally. This program is really sweet.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but doesn't "Window Licker" refer to ingesting **D? I seem to remember that a window pane is a ******.

I bet Richard James has taken his licked his fair share of windows.

Guest Dusty Lipschitz

anyone ever hear of that pink floyd/wizard of oz trick...?

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this