The Aphex Face

CAPiTA

This is so fucking crazy. I found out about this awhile ago while reading threads on a headphone forum (headfi). On track two of Aphex Twin's cd Windowlicker, if run through a spectograph program calledSpectogram, a face shows up. Use these settings...

http://www.tp.spt.fi/~cleth/projects/aphexface/aphex_settings.gif'>

and set it to a linear scale, and you will obtain the face

http://www.tp.spt.fi/~cleth/projects/aphexface/aphex.gif'>

However, this is not the only image on the CD. Numerous other images can be found.

Spiral at the end of Track 1

http://www.tp.spt.fi/~cleth/projects/aphexface/aphex_spiral.gif'>

Pattern on Track 2

http://www.tp.spt.fi/~cleth/projects/aphexface/aphex_pattern.gif'>

Swirl on Track 2

http://www.tp.spt.fi/~cleth/projects/aphexface/aphex_swirl.gif'>

Although the last three might not be as cool, if you run other songs through the program, you never get any kind of image, just a bunch of lines and blobs and shit.

Honestly though, whoever first found this must have literally shit themselves on the spot.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

known about it for awhile...neat stuff....

there are some interesting things about his song titles, too

there's another one, but i can't remember the url...

it lists all anagrans, etc. for song titles...heh

edit for bad url...here's one....

FAQ

Re: Re: The Aphex Face

Originally posted by Poop Man Bob

Have you tried it out yourself?

I just set it all up and it worked. If anyone else is considering trying it, you have to wait a little ways into the song. I can't remember how long, 1-3 minutes. I was figuring it wasn't going to work, then i pulled it up again in the background and the face was just going by. The face comprises about 3-6 seconds of audio. I'll try and get a pic up soon, but I'm in a rush to get out the door right now. By the way, the song is called...well, its a symbol...but just type aphex twin - symbol and you'll find it. I'll be back tomorrow with my own pics.

Re: This puzzles me.

Originally posted by effyoo

The different wavelengths of sound couldn't be used to make that face, could they?

I must know how that was done.

The program I used, which I included a link of, is called spectogram. Basically, it's a program that visualizes the sound spectrum, not really wavelengths. I'm not sure about this, but I think that its like a graph, with one axis being frequency, and the other being time. I don't really know what I'm talking about. It definately does work though. I'll have my own pics up in a bit, I'm just having a problem getting them small enough that my photo-hosting site will take them. I'll go work on it now.

Originally posted by spooney luv

aphex twin - flim

Originally posted by Dirty_habiT

^^I can sleep to that song, it's calming.

Very true, one of my favorite Aphex Twin songs.

Originally posted by Kyuzo

Uhhh, since i don't feel like going through all that, let me just ask, what does that little segment sound like? is it static or something that sounds out of place?

Well, the whole songs is really out of control, but let me go check..............alright, I just listened to it as it was doing the scan, and the face comes in at around 5 minutes into the song, during a part where different "loops" are coming in and out of the song. I put quotations around loops because they're really not loops if you've ever heard an aphex twin song, they're just short bars of wierd sounds that never repeat. The akward thing was that just before and just after the face, it sounded a little like a woman screaming. haha, that's Richard James for you. I found a # of other sweet patterns; crazy lightning bolts, things that look like water, etc that definately were not just part of the song accidentally. This program is really sweet.

Originally posted by Dirty_habiT

please elaborate.

You put in the Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon album and pause it before it starts playing. At the beginning of The wizard of Oz, at the MGM logo or whatever...There's that lion head that roars 3 times, you unpause the CD right at the beginning or the end of the 3rd roar, and I forget which one. Sorry, hah. But there is just a lot of material in the movie that coordinates with the album, scene changes and etc. You will definitely notice some shit though.

Someone help me out though…Do you unpause the album at the beginning of the 3rd roar or the end of the 3rd roar?

Originally posted by spooney luv

aphex twin - flim

Holy shit,

I just got done pulling that song off Kazaa because I've never heard it. But there's this jazz band from Minneapolis called The bad plus, with the legendary Dave King on drums, and they do a cover of it on their album titled These are the vistas. Checkitout.

Archived