finding train communities

BeetNIK

first and foremost i would like to apologise if this question has already been brought up. I am not experienced in any way with freights.

But when i get older, and start to settle down, I want to live in a community with plenty of trains to paint. prefferebly a place with a smaller population. I just want to go to work, be a train junkie, and take care of my kids. I have only painted a few freights, and i often re-read the stickies here to keep myself up on my train etiquette. So, Im just wondering, how would i find a place like this? Possibly use maps or something? where would i find statisitics on train movement? sorry if this is redundent. thanks,

beetso...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i have found such places...towns where everyone knows your name...there is a diner, and a church, and a bar, and a river. there are nice street posts and benches, beautiful local women, and railroad tracks headed every direction outta town. i'll just never make it there...or by the time i did, it'll be a parking lot or a walmart or something stupid. good luck.

Originally posted by my sweetheart, the drunk

i have found such places...towns where everyone knows your name...there is a diner, and a church, and a bar, and a river. there are nice street posts and benches, beautiful local women, and railroad tracks headed every direction outta town. i'll just never make it there...or by the time i did, it'll be a parking lot or a walmart or something stupid. good luck.

you'll make it to town someday, it's great place, oh beleive me!

Guest PHYNE
Originally posted by BeetNIK

first and foremost i would like to apologise if this question has already been brought up. I am not experienced in any way with freights.

But when i get older, and start to settle down, I want to live in a community with plenty of trains to paint. prefferebly a place with a smaller population. I just want to go to work, be a train junkie, and take care of my kids. I have only painted a few freights, and i often re-read the stickies here to keep myself up on my train etiquette. So, Im just wondering, how would i find a place like this? Possibly use maps or something? where would i find statisitics on train movement? sorry if this is redundent. thanks,

beetso...

you aint got no trains up there??:confused:

your probably what 21, at most. wait until you get older and are in the position to do that. if you find that place now and wait 40 years to "settle down" that place could be a metropolis by then.

strip malls, traffic, black people, the whole 9.

• 2 weeks later...

TRAINS Magazine

Subscribe to TRAINS. Every month, they feature a great map of some important area of railroading. This month it was Chicago--and man, is it ever detailed. Chicago is a major rail hub, maybe even the most important railroad city in the United States.

However, there are many, many important junctions and rail hubs. The more you know about your area, the more you'll realize where the serious rail hubs are in your part of the country. If you can find one, join a chapter of the National Railway Historical Society. Those old guys know more shit about the railroads than God.

Keep yo' yap shut about painting trains, though. Railfans often don't like graffitti, and they might rat you out. They drop a dime on trainhoppers all the time, via cell phone. Some people are just tight-assed dicks and some aren't. Railfans tend to be sort of obsessive-compulsive about rules, timetables, schedules, etc. (And coming from an OCD mo'fo' like me, that's quite an indictment.) They look upon train graff akin to vandalism of a church.

Archived