The Babble

Al Green

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

POIESIS.but thats so babblerific.. btw thanks for steadily posting on the babble recently..so many people who like this thread..are bummed out when its not updated.. steadily...so thanks for recently fully contributing some sweet babblenicity to this threadlocity.com..

keep it shabba rankster.

alan greenspan.

book172tr-a.jpg

Junkie in blind alley

Junkie on the way out of shooting gallery on Lenox Ave in Harlem after his fix

book175-a.jpg

Heroin addict in Harlem

This guy in a shooting gallery in Harlem asked me to photograph him "to help frighten other young people" so that they would not get to suffer like himself. He was unable to find any more healthy spots to shoot up in and had to take the foul-smelling bandage off his running sores to find a vein. He knew he had less than two years left to live.

book239t-a.jpg

Pushers in California

For a long time I hung out with pushers and criminals in a ghetto I lived in -

perhaps being one myself? During our various activities they let me photograph

almost without limits. Thus I was nearly shut down by cops with drawn guns when

they mistook my flash light for a gun shot.

book247b-a.jpg

Murder in New Orleans

I was playing pool with Butch. While it was my turn, he stepped outside for a

moment and killed this guy. I never saw Butch again.

new4-a.jpg

Thou shalt not kill

New Orleans 1998

book287br-a.jpg

Prisoner eating on toilet

Through mysterious circumstances I was locked up with

my friend, Popeye Jackson, a prison leader, in order

to photograph him for the prison paper. Respected by

everyone in there, I was permitted to take pictures of the

other inmates in their most private moments.

book255b-a.jpg

Woman shot outside my window in New York

At the time I took this picture I was quite shaken. I was living with a prostitute 

on 11th St when I heard shots outside. I rushed out and took this pictures - quite

shaken. Since then I have seen so much of the same in the US that I hardly

notice any more. Except when I in 1994 saw two people being executed right in

front of my eyes on the lower East Side. I grabbed my camera, but when I

realized I was looking down into the eyes of two dying people I couldn't take the

photo and started shaking all over.

book140bl-a.jpg

Police and the affluent

With my shorthair wig on I managed to get in and live for a few days with the rich here in The Fountainbleau during the republican convention. I adopted so well that after a few days I started looking down at the demonstrators in the streets below with republican eyes as "filthy dirty hippies." At other moments I would take my wig off and join the demonstrators outside such as when I took this picture of the fortress of wealth I had just left.

book111t-a.jpg

Poor whites in Mississippi

Poor whites I always found the hardest to photograph - at least in the USA where

they have deeply internalized the prevailing American philosophy - that you are

yourself to be blamed for your own misery. Thus they are also robbed of the

dignity and pride characterizing the poor in other countries.

book116b-a.jpg

Klan meeting in Alabama

One night between my campus lectures I picked up a hitchhiking Klan member.

After helping him get in touch with his painful memories of incest in childhood,

he wanted to do anything for me. So he invited me to this mind-blowing secret

cross-burning. I let him use my credit card to call home to Tennessee just before

the meeting. There he learned that his uncle had just been killed by a black.

After those news I was very nervous all night that he would betray me to the

other Klan members.

book141bl-a.jpg

Rich girl with maid

In Palm Beach, Florida, I lived with this family with a

Cuban maid.

Jamaica-1a.jpg

Girl in red bed

Ocho Rios, Jamaica 1988

book142m-a.jpg

Linda and mother at sunset 

So poor were they in Linda's family - right next to Disney World in Florida – that they rarely had light before I moved in with them. I had just stayed with some millionaires in Palm Beach and had a little "millionaire money" with me so I could buy kerosene for their old lamp. Linda ran out to meet her father when he walked home in the darkness, shouting: "Dad, dad, we got a present.... see, see, light.. ...we got light!"

Well, the joy didn't last forever! Today I have to visit Linda in prison whenever I want to see her. The scars from childhood poverty eventually defeated her.

jacob holdt

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by POIESIS@Apr 7 2005, 01:12 AM

book111t-a.jpg

Poor whites in Mississippi

Poor whites I always found the hardest to photograph - at least in the USA where

they have deeply internalized the prevailing American philosophy - that you are

yourself to be blamed for your own misery. Thus they are also robbed of the

dignity and pride characterizing the poor in other countries.

I think that is the best picture-caption i've ever seen in my life,

you always bring the cool shit bro

Aleister Crowley

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Edward Alexander (Aleister) Crowley was born October 12, 1875 in Leamington Spa, England. His parents were members of the Plymouth Brethren. He grew up with a biblical education and an equally thorough hatred of Christianity.

He attended Trinity College at Cambridge University, quitting just before completing his degree. Shortly thereafter he was introduced to George Cecil Jones, who was a member of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. The Golden Dawn was an occult society which taught magic, kabala, alchemy, tarot, astrology, and other hermetic subjects. It had many notable members including A. E. Waite, Dion Fortune, and W. B. Yeats. Crowley was initiated into the Golden Dawn in 1898. He advanced up rapidly through the grades. But in 1900 the order was shattered by schism, and Crowley left England to travel extensively throughout the East. There he learned and practiced the mental and physical disciplines of yoga, supplementing his knowledge of western-style ritual magick with the methods of Oriental mysticism.

In 1903, Crowley married Rose Kelly, and they went to Egypt on their honeymoon. After returning from Cairo in early 1904, Rose began entering trance states. She told him that the god Horus was trying to contact him. Crowley took Rose to the Boulak Museum and asked her to point out Horus to him. She passed several images of the god and led Aleister straight to a painted wooden funerary stele from the 26th dynasty, depicting Horus receiving a sacrifice from the deceased, a priest named Ankh-f-n-khonsu. Crowley was impressed by the fact that this piece was numbered 666 by the museum, the number which he had identified since childhood.

He began to listen to Rose, and at her direction, on three successive days beginning April 8, 1904, he entered his room and wrote down what he heard dictated from a shadowy presence behind him. The result was the three chapters of verse known as The Book of the Law. 

In 1906 Crowley rejoined George Cecil Jones in England, and they set created a magical order to continue where the Golden Dawn had left off. They called this order the A.'. A.'. (Astrum Argentium or Silver Star).

In 1910 Crowley was contacted by Theodore Reuss, the head of an organization called the Ordo Templi Orientis (O.T.O.). This group of high-ranking Freemasons claimed to have discovered the supreme secret of practical magick, which is taught in its highest degrees. Crowley joined, becoming a member of O.T.O. Crowley rewrote the rites of the O.T.O. 

Crowley referred to himself as "The Beast" and indulged in every aspect of the occult and was obsessed with it. He was into every form of sexual perversion you can imagine. He also had various sexually transmitted diseases. Aleister Crowley died in Hastings, England on December 1, 1947. However, his teachings live on.