The Babble

Al Green

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I've had several conversations with graphic artists and artists who work in clean lines and such. And all, including myself, find artists who are free and "sloppy" to be incredible artists. Inspirational if you will. I found it to be really interesting that artists who work in such graphic, clean terms would be so inspired by very non-graphic works." - joker

if i could loosen up and relax, i'm convinced i could be 100x's more productive. i've always envied minimalist stuff for the restraint and vision that it shows. i know 'restraight' and 'loose' probably sound oppositional, but i mean 'restraint' as in, not over doing things. not needing to paint the whole picture, in order to paint the whole picture. the less strokes involved, the more impressed i am (generally speaking). there are of course plenty of exceptions, but i think the people i care about understanding me, will. i cant say i care for cy twombly much, or really even know that much about him, but i can say i respect him for presenting scribbles as his art and standing behind it unashamed.

if i could express everything i feel with a single line, i'd never need a second.

true.

i overthink the fuck out of stuff, and i expect entirely too much of myself. i never consider the fact that barnett newman (who i've mentoned twice today, breaking my previous all time record of....once, ha) who painted incredibly minimal stuff, would work on the background of a painting for months. some times on and off for years. if i have to spend more than a few minutes on something, i start to feel like i'm failing and i begin to lose my vision. see, i never learned the 'process' of doing anything. i've never tried to draw something (figures, still lifes etc) by sketching the basic chapes, getting the right perportions, then going in and adding all the details. i draw the final product the first time. which, admittidly is a piss poor way of achieving things, and explains a whole lot about me and my personality in one example, but is honest none the less. it also explains why ive been in such a rut with graff lately i think. i make complete letters, then wonder why i can't think of shit to add to them. duhhhhhhhh.

sorry. this was entirely directed towards heavylox, but anyone that feels like calling me a fag is welcome to.

When the babble first took off it was different from what it has now become. I found the content a bit more intresting. I enjoy what it has morphed in to but I wonder if anybody else feels the same way? If not, it is okay. I need to contribute, for this is still the most intresting and esoteric thread I have encounted.

I would like to thank a lot of the users for inspiring me to venture in to different areas of art and design. I picked up books on architecture, quilts and books which cover different areas of art, thanks to all the posts and the public library.

on the whole abandoned city/post-apocalypse/decay tip, check out the article "Uranium City Revisited" on the latest update at http://www.cbcradio3.com

theres also a little article on the stills that has some good in-studio tracks.

bobbylon: the troops will be rallied, although some may still be in europe unfortunately. I'll email you tommorow when I sober up.