The Babble

Al Green

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lets try to resurrect this awesome thread.

i've always been a huge fan of mesoamerican art. fucking catholics burning their vast wealth of knowledge. i have really tried to grasp their pantheon but there is just so much out there and my self-diagnosed learning disability prevents me from learning things and such. maybe im not sure.

anyways.

from the codex borgia

332_01_2.jpg

Quetzalcóatl (left) and 5 Grass flank a corn plant that symbolises the axis mundi, a sacred point that pierces and connects the heavens, earth and underworld with its leaves, stalk and roots.

borgia-26.jpg

borgia-54.jpg

gcm_copan-stelae_b.jpg

my favorite

XIPE TOTEC "our lord the flayed one"

xipe.gif

xipe-totec.jpg

aztec god of spring. priests would flay victims and wear their skins over theirs chasing and scaring children. after several days the skin would dry out and flake off and the priest would emerge as a new being, symbolizing spring.

badass

akhenaton

2cisua.jpg

2afmqzk.jpg

30hwivd.jpg

amarna period has always been most enjoyable for me. probably for most others as well.

just so much different than the other egyptian periods.

i think akhenaton was shown this way because he had some sort of birth defect. maybe elephantitis?

or maybe liver problems they are known to swell the stomach area.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fireworks1-thumb.jpg

fireworks2-thumb.jpg

fireworks3-thumb.jpg

"Rosemarie Fiore's firework drawings are created by containing and controlling firework explosions. She explains:"

"I bomb blank sheets of paper with different fireworks including color smoke bombs, jumping jacks, monster balls, fountains, magic whips, spinning carnations, ground blooms, rings of fire, and lasers. As I work, I create imagery by controlling the chaotic nature of the explosions in upside-down containers. When the paper becomes saturated in color, dark and burned, I take it back to my studio and collage blank paper circles onto the image to establish new planes and open up the composition. I then continue to bomb the pieces. These actions are repeated a number of times. The final works contain many layers of collaged explosions and are thick and heavy."

Sorayama x KAWS – No Future Companion

kaws_sorayama_nofuturecompanion_front.jpg

"The gleaming Hajime Sorayama x KAWS No Future Companion metal figure (Medicom) has sold out online at KAWSONE and we strongly suspect sold out at Original Fake as well. Kudos. A great high-end piece (ed. of 500, $980) bringing together the minds and talents of two visionary artists. Pieces such as this and Murakami’s Inochi really blur the line between art sculpture and toy."

Fireworks1-thumb.jpg

fireworks2-thumb.jpg

fireworks3-thumb.jpg

"Rosemarie Fiore's firework drawings are created by containing and controlling firework explosions. She explains:"

"I bomb blank sheets of paper with different fireworks including color smoke bombs, jumping jacks, monster balls, fountains, magic whips, spinning carnations, ground blooms, rings of fire, and lasers. As I work, I create imagery by controlling the chaotic nature of the explosions in upside-down containers. When the paper becomes saturated in color, dark and burned, I take it back to my studio and collage blank paper circles onto the image to establish new planes and open up the composition. I then continue to bomb the pieces. These actions are repeated a number of times. The final works contain many layers of collaged explosions and are thick and heavy."

i was going to post this in here a while ago but never did.

here is more of her work that i thought was pretty awesome.

3.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

Those are awesome !!!

Its the childhood throwback ... Spirographs and The Scrambler .... meets the fire extinguisher type delivery method.

Just sucks they are so big they cant go on most walls for a complete viewing ... and I dont think they would show well flat on the floor. Maybe split 1/2 on one wall the other directly across ...

Looking at her set up ... one thing bummed me out ... she didnt ride along with her paint.

I would want to be part of that process ... feeling more connected to my work by getting dizzy as fuck. Thats just me though.

• Like 1