Prodigies of website design.

cantbefaded

I find some of the coolest sites sometimes when I'm just traversing the world's network through random links.

I know some of you have stumbled upon awesome sites on accident. I always enjoy a flash gui that isn't cumbersome.

Here's a link, if you have any sites of web-design greatness linked, post em.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_El Mamerro

Look here.

Also, I'd like to mention that there's a big difference between good graphic designer, and someone who kicks major ass at ActionScripting.

Originally posted by El Mamerro

Look here.

Also, I'd like to mention that there's a big difference between good graphic designer, and someone who kicks major ass at ActionScripting.

That's another thread on 12oz.... *and* it's about _graphic design_.... what I'm referring to is web design... graphics are only the visual asthetics. There's lots of interactivity and sounds that go into a good site too.

Cool links loopsnew.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

My bad... although from what I can tell, that other thread deals mainly, if not specifically, with web design. Even if it was printwork, the sites were mentioned because of the way it was presented on the web.

I do agree that web/interactive design goes beyond layout and aesthetics though. But function is also a big part of that, and that's something most experimental sites, such as the one you posted, fail to achieve. I mean, the guy kills shit at actionscripting and has some awesome stuff, but I wouldn't consider it good web design, just really good coding skills and an OK layout. I mean the ideas are clever and open doors, but until they're applied, they're not quite web design.

Good web design: Hampshire College, by Tellart.

Originally posted by cantbefaded

Let's see smart stuff, not debates and defenses.

ermm........yeah.

---

form and function. coexistence, yo. nothing wrong with experimentation and jonx. but the most badass sites out there incorporate the two (design + function) without suffering a loss. speaking of which. chill. the existing thread is good enough. what good is design without function? the two will always overlapp...like this thread with the existing gfx one...bleh. but so you don't feel left out:

the ban mapping project <---- sweetest flash yet. (project's bout the valley of the kings)

best synergy between an assload of information, beautiful design and user interface i've experienced yet. god, and the image quality! you literally can keep zooming in and see every detail of the tomb. i've already spent way too much time here. so yeah. enjoy.

how to get there^: at the top of the screen, click on the "Launch Atlas" image beside the 'Theban Mapping Project' header. make sure that you click on the "3D Tomb" when you do get into the flash portion of the site. incredible doesn't even begin to describe it.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Discover each tomb in the Valley in this interactive version of our Atlas. Investigate a database of information about each tomb, view a compilation of nearly 2,000 images, interact with models of each tomb, and measure, pan, and zoom over 250 detailed maps, elevations, and sections. Experience sixty-five narrated tours by Dr. Weeks and explore a 3D recreation of tomb KV 14.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:n

Archived