Sen Hatch wants to allow companies to destroy computers of illegal music downloaders.

Poop Man Bob

http://www.heraldnet.com/Stories/03/6/17/17094986.cfm

Plan would destroy computers of illegal downloaders

By Ted Bridis

Associated Press

WASHINGTON - The chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee said Tuesday he favors developing new technology to remotely destroy the computers of people who illegally download music from the Internet.

The surprise remarks by Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, during a hearing on copyright abuses represent a dramatic escalation in the frustrating battle by industry executives and lawmakers in Washington against illegal music downloads.

During a discussion on methods to frustrate computer users who illegally exchange music and movie files over the Internet, Hatch asked technology executives about ways to damage computers involved in such file trading. Legal experts have said any such attack would violate federal anti-hacking laws.

"No one is interested in destroying anyone's computer," replied Randy Saaf of MediaDefender Inc., a secretive Los Angeles company that builds technology to disrupt music downloads. One technique deliberately downloads pirated material very slowly so other users can't.

"I'm interested," Hatch interrupted. He said damaging someone's computer "may be the only way you can teach somebody about copyrights."

The senator acknowledged Congress would have to enact an exemption for copyright owners from liability for damaging computers. He endorsed technology that would twice warn a computer user about illegal online behavior, "then destroy their computer."

"If we can find some way to do this without destroying their machines, we'd be interested in hearing about that," Hatch said. "If that's the only way, then I'm all for destroying their machines. If you have a few hundred thousand of those, I think people would realize" the seriousness of their actions, he said.

"There's no excuse for anyone violating copyright laws," Hatch said.

Sen. Patrick Leahy, the committee's senior Democrat, later said the problem is serious but called Hatch's idea too drastic a remedy to be considered.

"The rights of copyright holders need to be protected, but some Draconian remedies that have been suggested would create more problems than they would solve," Leahy, D-Vt., said in a statement. "We need to work together to find the right answers, and this is not one of them."

Rep. Rick Boucher, D-Va., who has been active in copyright debates in Washington, urged Hatch to reconsider. Boucher described Hatch's role as chairman of the Judiciary Committee as "a very important position, so when Senator Hatch indicates his views with regard to a particular subject, we all take those views very seriously."

Some legal experts suggested Hatch's provocative remarks were more likely intended to compel technology and music executives to work faster toward ways to protect copyrights online than to signal forthcoming legislation.

"It's just the frustration of those who are looking at enforcing laws that are proving very hard to enforce," said Orin Kerr, a former Justice Department cybercrimes prosecutor and associate professor at George Washington University law school.

The entertainment industry has gradually escalated its fight against Internet file-traders, targeting the most egregious pirates with civil lawsuits. The Recording Industry Association of America recently won a federal court decision making it significantly easier to identify and track consumers - even those hiding behind aliases - using popular Internet file-sharing software.

Kerr predicted it was "extremely unlikely" for Congress to approve a hacking exemption for copyright owners, partly because of risks of collateral damage when innocent users might be wrongly targeted.

"It wouldn't work," Kerr said. "There's no way of limiting the damage."

Last year, Rep. Howard Berman, D-Calif., ignited a firestorm across the Internet over a proposal to give the entertainment industry new powers to disrupt downloads of pirated music and movies. It would have lifted civil and criminal penalties against entertainment companies for disabling, diverting or blocking the trading of pirated songs and movies on the Internet.

But Berman, ranking Democrat on the House Judiciary panel on the Internet and intellectual property, always has maintained that his proposal wouldn't permit hacker-style attacks by the industry on Internet users.

http://www.hillnews.com/030602/visuals/Hatch%20Orrin.jpg'>

I'm clueless regarding reality.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Thats some missplaced priorities right there. Hmmm.... Ill ignore all these Huge problems we should address in favor of listening to a few billionare thieves bitch about the money theyre losing. Jesus, will all these politicians and businessmen be happy when they have complete control of our money in this supposed democracy?

why do they bother?..don't they know that as soon as they take something away that we like were just going to find another way to get what we wan't..even more easily,and more violently if any?..they never learn..and they wonder why anarchy is so strong..dumb..

you can only fight the losing battle for so long.

I cant believe just how hard it is for these fools

to embrace change. It's like the film biz before sound;

you cant stop the inevitable, you have to adapt or die.

(die would be my prefered option for the Senator)

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/front/lg-riaa-sticker.gif'>

SIMPLE CONCEPT. DON'T BUY THEIR ALBUMS. DON'T BUY DVD'S. everytime you purchase one, go to a concert, buy their merchandise you are saying YES "PLEASE MAKE EVERYTHING ILLEGAL AND PUT ME IN JAIL FOR DOWNLOADING EMINEM MP3'S"

THESE PEOPLE ARE 100% AFRAID of a cultural revolution. This revolution will be that of a generation which *totally* disregards copyright law. You cannot jail the masses, you cannot sue the masses. This is why napster was such a problem. This is why p2p is a problem. If the masses are doing it, then it signals an inevitable change.

These actions are the last stronghold of the weak and dying. They are holding on to dear life and using the last remaining dollars they have to try to stop this. GOOD LUCK. mother fuckers

Originally posted by Esai

Thats some missplaced priorities right there. Hmmm.... Ill ignore all these Huge problems we should address in favor of listening to a few billionare thieves bitch about the money theyre losing. Jesus, will all these politicians and businessmen be happy when they have complete control of our money in this supposed democracy?

so are they going to destroy peoples radios too for the ones who record the songs off that? i always thought copyrights were there so no one else can prophet off someone elses work..if your downloading music for your personal use it aint no worse than recording the simpsons so you can watch it later, i can see why musicians would be mad that people are gettin thier music for free and then selling it, but what the fuck they make millions of dollars because they can sing...honestly if they werent around the world wouldnt fall apart, art is supposed to be free anyway, besides the point music artists make most thier money off concerts, record sales are miniscule

i advise everyone to download www.kazaa.com right now

Originally posted by cantbefaded

haha, fuck that. You'd have to be a hell of a hacker first. You ain't destroyin shit on my comp, I'm firewalled.

ok unless your like a super program writter and write a super fire for like a router or switch you aint protecting shit. if you have a comercial firewall the goverment agents have no problem getting in. what do you think they train them for? "sorry sir he had a mcaffe firewall, couldnt get threw." ? hell no theyll break right threw that shit. stupid children.

Archived