I'm Gonna Run With the Bulls and Get Drunk. AKA The Lost Generation.

effyoo

I recently re-discovered the used book store in my neighborhood. Its a two story place thats very quiet. I once caught some lovers having fun on the quiet second floor balcony.

I picked up "The Sun Also Rises", by Ernest Hemingway.

I've read "The Old Man and the Sea" also. Although his style is terse, he can still suck you in with the flow of his prose.

The folloing is copied, but good nonetheless,

Ernest Miller Hemingway was born at eight o'clock in the morning on July 21, 1899 in Oak Park, Illinois. In the nearly sixty two years of his life that followed he forged a literary reputation unsurpassed in the twentieth century. In doing so, he also created a mythological hero in himself that captivated (and at times confounded) not only serious literary critics but the average man as well. In a word, he was a star.

In Europe during ww2, writing for the Kansas Star:

In the short time that Hemingway worked for the Kansas City Star he learned some stylistic lessons that would later influence his fiction. The newspaper advocated short sentences, short paragraphs, active verbs, authenticity, compression, clarity and immediacy. Hemingway later said: "Those were the best rules I ever learned for the business of writing. I've never forgotten them."

*from this excerpt, you can see where he got his style.*

http://fasttrack.sis.pitt.edu/images/hemingway.gif'>

From 1925 to 1929 Hemingway produced some of the most important works of 20th century fiction, including the landmark short story collection In Our Time (1925) which contained "The Big Two-Hearted River." In 1926 he came out with his first true novel, The Sun Also Rises (after publishing Torrents of Spring, a comic novel parodying Sherwood Anderson in 1925). He followed that book with Men Without Women in 1927; it was another book of stories which collected "The Killers," and "In Another Country." In 1929 he published A Farewell to Arms, arguably the finest novel to emerge from World War I. In four short years he went from being an unknown writer to being the most important writer of his generation, and perhaps the 20th century.

http://www.epdlp.com/fotos/hemingway.jpg'>

Often in Hemingway’s non-fiction work the truth is obscured by his need to promote his public personality, his need to portray himself as above fear, above pettiness, above any negative quality that would tarnish that image. In his fiction though, certain negative qualities, whatever they might be, are in the characters as flaws that often lead to their destruction. Beyond that, in a biographical context, the actual events of Hemingway’s life end up in his fiction rather than in his non-fiction.

http://www.publico.pt/bd/ilustracao/vasco/img/hemingway.gif'>

When you want to find the truth about Hemingway’s life, look first to his fiction.

*Paris, Spain, Cuba, drinking, Adventures,

He ended up killing himself in 1960

For the most part the "Lost Generation" defines a sense of moral loss or aimlessness. The World War seemed to destroy for many the idea that if you acted properly, good things would happen. But so many good young men went to war and died, or returned damaged, both physically and mentally, that their faith in the moral guideposts that had given them hope before, were no longer valid...they were "Lost."

Ok. Have fun kids.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by INDIAN GIVER

weebookinn

word up.

So nobody ever read anything by Hemingway?

Maybe this will get you to check him out: Motherfucker loved to drink.

Every place he used to frequent is now famous because of him.

Oh yeah, he was the most influential writer of the past centuy, too.

I read a bunch of his shit in high school

Always liked Papa. Try "For Whom the Bell Tolls," and "Across the River and Into the Trees." Two of my personal, all-time favorites. Go down to the video store, back in the "Classic Movies" section and rent "For Whom The Bell Tolls." It's not as good as the book, but not bad.

I soured on Hemingway because he dissed anarchists in his books. It pissed me off. He was a Communist Party sympathizer, and there was a fierce battle going on during the Spanish Civil War between the Communists and the anarchists. The Communists eventually conceded defeat after Franco and his fascist Falangists took power, but the anarchists and the CNT-FAI never conceded as long as Franco was alive. In 1955 (I was five) the anarchists in Spain were still fighting the fascists. In 1968, a well-known young Scottish anarchist, Stuart Christie, was arrested smuggling dynamite to the FIJL (in English, the "Iberian Young Libertarian Federation.") The only problem was that the FIJL had frozen membership in 1945, at the end of WWII to prevent the organization from being infiltrated and subverted, so the average "Young Libertarian" was about forty-five or fifty years old in 1968. Nevertheless, they carried on the guerrilla war against Franco. The most famous anarchist partisan of them all was named "Sabate'."

Guest ctrl+alt+del

CODE HERO

Fight The Dark.

i studied him for a second in my ape class. i dug it . the feminists complained. hoes.

Guest im not witty

i have read as the sun rises, also i read hills like white elephants which is by him as well. i think. i seem to..in the spirit of hemmingay, gotten into some wine, and well, i could easily be mistaken.

Archived