ASKEW TMD-SUK (NEW ZEALAND)

????

i gotta say i seen a flick of some piece you did in a meuseum...it said something like zeuab or something like that, i know it started with a "z" and from that day on i absolutly loved your stuff..that hollow letter, cookie cuter what ever you wanna call it....i love it, shit i wish i thought of it i love it so much, keep doing what your doing, im surprised your not more "popular" than you are, in my eyes your right up there with other 3d writers (i.e. totem2, daim, just to name a few)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, thanks heaps for all the comments, positive, constructive...Etc..It's cool to have a dialogue with the world and believe me that's something we need more here in NZ...

I've only just turned 24 and been painting for about 10 years now..I still feel I have a lot of growing and experiences to have..For example, I spent the last 2 years focused on productions, but I also feel that something of the raw street side of things has been missing so right now I'm focusing on that as well..Just for my own satisfaction..Plus it's been a miserable winter here and unfortunately paintings been slow..Anyway..maybe in the next few weeks I'll have some new stuff to post and look forward to the comments..

holla

peace askew, i have a question about your statement

"I like muted colours..I like Type and Also use predominatly roller paints and brush for my walls now" are you using brush paint with the aerosol, i mean the gradations are quite smooth, explain this tech..to me, quite interesting, also how much is a can of belton molly preemo there? why don`t you just import it by mail order?

bump

the cookie cutter style has been done before but no to the way he pushes it and bends them to flow with the letters, shit blows my mind away, and to work and incorporate throwups into burners although done before, never to the extent his done them in..

burner burner burner!

:king: :king: :king: :king: :king: :king: :king: :king: :king: :king:

did someone say something about a magazine?

Askew keep it going mate and use it all roller paint spray paint anything that covers and gets the message across. we just got a massive explosion of stencils here and its getting wild with people now using anything they can get their dirty little hands on so use glue if you have too spray guns air guns all of it. The bigger the better

Originally posted by Daze One Million

thats cool, i can definetly understand that, have you ever made your way to the states and done any work?

Wish I had...Just only got to Europe for the first time recently..It blew my mind..I want to go to the US and South America some time in the next year or two...Work is hard out here..

We do a magazine called "Disrupt..The reason I've been on here a bit lately is cos' I have barely left my house in over a week while finishing our third issue..It will be available through Tower Records in North America, A few stores in Australia, and Hopefully in Europe through MZEE and At the Trash Mark store in Dortmund...It's an interesting insight into the NZ scene..

There haven't been any trains in these past few issues cos' we are saving them for the next issue which will be strictly NZ trains..But that's how few get done here...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Askew and style

Heard a lot about Askew from people visiting new Zealand mostly younger cats who's opinion on styles i take with a pinch of salt.

Now that i've seen a little of the dudes work i can say he's nice with paint realy smooth technique but as far as style goes it's coming form all over the place mostly a lot of Mid ninties euro influence scien and klor do similar stuff as they also jock alot of styles i personally credit Berlin writers for that wild style with thin pumps and flred letters check Phos 4 or Odem.

Magazines and the internet have kind of spread styles to different places recentlye i'm seeing Spanish writers doing german styles personally it sucks i prefer a homegrown style like Atome ibs or Delta writing is getting watered down and blanded out by over exposure and fame jocking.

I seen askew writing "style master 2003" above a piece ??? Thats a title reserved for very few Part TDS or Noc 167 Chain3 Dondi Phase2 you reckon your in the same league?

That discussion on hollow letters and who did what check a Rick Griffin Book published by paper tiger and see what that dude was doing with letters in the 60's (a big Writing influence )

Anyways i reckon new Zealand being so remote should probably have a very unique style of it's own sure there were other writers out there from the 80's just like other countrys.

Is there realy anything being done with the dimensional style that Delta inc didn't already do first time round?

Guest willy.wonka

are people still tryin to bring askers down?

im from the west and seen styles from head to toe...my crew or some of the people in my crew are hardcore anti-style biters and make sure people at least know what they're doing.as unique we push it, i can say that he is one of your best. us yanks think so, you dont...

jesus was hated in his own country

Re: Askew and style

Originally posted by MajorNumnuts

Heard a lot about Askew from people visiting new Zealand mostly younger cats who's opinion on styles i take with a pinch of salt.

Now that i've seen a little of the dudes work i can say he's nice with paint realy smooth technique but as far as style goes it's coming form all over the place mostly a lot of Mid ninties euro influence scien and klor do similar stuff as they also jock alot of styles i personally credit Berlin writers for that wild style with thin pumps and flred letters check Phos 4 or Odem.

No doubt..Phos 4, Odem and Amok are really some of my favourite for letter construction..Atom really put me onto those guys style when he was discussing my letter structures..I def think I was one of those kids that learnt technique before good foundation and still feel I'm a student of the letter...I still look to Dondi and the above mentioned names for a lot of understanding of good letter balance and flow.

Magazines and the internet have kind of spread styles to different places recentlye i'm seeing Spanish writers doing german styles personally it sucks i prefer a homegrown style like Atome ibs or Delta writing is getting watered down and blanded out by over exposure and fame jocking.

Thats definitely true..I guess our old school wasn't that forthcoming with info nor that dedicated that we had any follow through wit indigenous style..It dissapoints me but makes me happy at the same time. I'm glad our writers can now paint with some of the worlds best and hold their own..The international flavour of our work really does represent the nature of our country though..Especially Auckland..It's truly a diverse place.

I seen askew writing "style master 2003" above a piece ??? Thats a title reserved for very few Part TDS or Noc 167 Chain3 Dondi Phase2 you reckon your in the same league?

haha..Well I actually wrote "Style Mastery" which refers more to my quest to master letters not really that I think I'm there, you know. I still feel like a student..I like looking at different styles and applying what I can see in technique and application that I can apply to my own work..I take it really seriously actually...

That discussion on hollow letters and who did what check a Rick Griffin Book published by paper tiger and see what that dude was doing with letters in the 60's (a big Writing influence )

Thanks for that, I must check that out.

Anyways i reckon new Zealand being so remote should probably have a very unique style of it's own sure there were other writers out there from the 80's just like other countrys.

Guess I kinda gave you an answer for that above....

Is there realy anything being done with the dimensional style that Delta inc didn't already do first time round?

Well I think there can be, which has been prooven by many other 3D masters:

Loomit: Incorporation of natural elements, extreme tension and fish eye perspectives.

Daim: Use of realistic light, tangible shadows, 3D glasses effect, a style with the face smashed off, pixelised effect, half submerged under water, sculpture wit a number of mediums including snow, cement, wood..., splashed paint effect.

Seak: Organic, phallic and insect like forms.

Totem: Gunndam warrior style, More cartoon like in application. Able to defend itself, much to the phillosophy of Rammellzee and Dondi.

I feel delta is definitely a style leader, but I havent seen most of those techniques touched on by him...Mostly he uses industrial and architectural design elements and good strong limited colour pallet. He has kept the outline on most of his stuff too...

Polite reply??WOW!

Askew good reply to my post nobody can fault somone who comes across in such a balanced manner (you a bhuddist or some shit??) i was reading the posts on this thread and i felt people were way of in your influence's good to see your digging the Berlin (West) styles if you don't already have them get yourself some backjumps magazines particularly the early issues.

The berliners realy have a hook on that style also they were way ahead on getting writers like Doc TC5 and T-Kid TNB to come over there and school everyone on styles.

Must have misread your style quote no offense and like i say your look of your pieces is nice you can see you pay attention to the finnish which suprisingly less and less people do due to the fact that magazines and the net can cover up a lot of mistakes and sloppy line work.

It's refreshing to see somone who can listen to opinions and not go on the defense.

If you've got an email adress i can send you some stuff you may (or may not) be interested in?

Peace oot

Great pics. And i thought there was nothing but nature and sheep in new zealand.

I wouldn't even waste my time answering to SunraA, we all know he's talking bullshit. I've seen a lot from 123klan, and your wall is far from biting them. I bet even scien would laugh out loud at that comparison.

There aren't many 3d styles i like, but i sure like yours.

• 4 weeks later...