ASKEW TMD-SUK (NEW ZEALAND)

????

Yeah I agree with that.. It seems like throwups are a HUGE part of writing in NYC.. you can tell just by looking at the NYC thread or seeing flicks/footage from anyone that goes there..

Askew isnt there a dude who writes Skew? I mean not too original. Plus all these styles remind me of Atom and Smash pieces, The letterings the same and some of the colour schemes, I mean for fucks sake, straight up chompin goin on here.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the guys progression from piece to piece is huge and makes those around him wanna do the same. great guy and dope painter.

not really that huge a progression, he regularly does the same style from piece to piece and doesnt seem to really push his style or Melbourne style as a whole, its more like a "comfort zone" style of painting where he is almost guaranteed the same results time and time again based on his tried and tested techniques, to me its a matter of technique over style. Sure his pieces look nice but over time they just become souless pieces of shit without the energy or life of some past painters who are the definition of Melbourne style (WCA, DMA crews, AC, TGC, CI etc).

peace

Askew isnt there a dude who writes Skew? I mean not too original. Plus all these styles remind me of Atom and Smash pieces, The letterings the same and some of the colour schemes, I mean for fucks sake, straight up chompin goin on here.

Yeah there's a bunch of people that write or have written Skew.. Skew from Sydney, Skew from LA, Skew from Paris (Who I've met, cool guy) but I write Askew, it's a different word and the dynamics of it with the "A" make it toally different to rock. Plus I've been writing this name for almost 13 years so regardless I'm kinda attached to it!:cool:

I'd be the first to admit that Smash and Atom have a huge influence on me. To go into it further they have a very DIRECT influence on me because if you saw what I was painting a few years back, I was in a very different stage in my career and very much doing the whole big 3D thing. I look back at some of that shit and just cringe now because it was so geek and had no funk or real graffiti flavour/impact. Both times I have travelled and spent time in Europe I have spent mega time with Atom, who I'm in 2 crews with TMD and SUK. without going into details, pretty much that guy is my mentor, something I have honestly lacked in our scene with so little active elders to show us the way of style, swing, colour etc. I would say my connection with Smash is very similar and I have never had such a strong dialogue over style with any one quite like the one I've had with these guys. It's continuous and they are very blunt people. I would actually go as far as to say I've had some zen like moments writing with these two guys hahaha!

So I appreciate your comments, although I do sense you may be searching for a rise from me or a negative reaction but that's not me. I take the good with the bad and approach this with all praise and criticism in mind. that's the only way to improve and stay on top.

Take care.

Askew.... Some new shit coming soon!

Yeah there's a bunch of people that write or have written Skew.. Skew from Sydney, Skew from LA, Skew from Paris (Who I've met, cool guy) but I write Askew, it's a different word and the dynamics of it with the "A" make it toally different to rock. Plus I've been writing this name for almost 13 years so regardless I'm kinda attached to it!:cool:

I'd be the first to admit that Smash and Atom have a huge influence on me. To go into it further they have a very DIRECT influence on me because if you saw what I was painting a few years back, I was in a very different stage in my career and very much doing the whole big 3D thing. I look back at some of that shit and just cringe now because it was so geek and had no funk or real graffiti flavour/impact. Both times I have travelled and spent time in Europe I have spent mega time with Atom, who I'm in 2 crews with TMD and SUK. without going into details, pretty much that guy is my mentor, something I have honestly lacked in our scene with so little active elders to show us the way of style, swing, colour etc. I would say my connection with Smash is very similar and I have never had such a strong dialogue over style with any one quite like the one I've had with these guys. It's continuous and they are very blunt people. I would actually go as far as to say I've had some zen like moments writing with these two guys hahaha!

So I appreciate your comments, although I do sense you may be searching for a rise from me or a negative reaction but that's not me. I take the good with the bad and approach this with all praise and criticism in mind. that's the only way to improve and stay on top.

Take care.

Askew.... Some new shit coming soon!

As much as I love your style dude, your biggest impact on me is the decent attitude

Don't mean to lick ass but I respect that. A lot.

Ok so you have explained the connection between You, Atom and Smash. I still dont think that makes it ok to use their shit. If you where a toy and these guys where schooling you it might be a different story, but you have been painting for YEARS now and are definatley NOT a toy.

I think it has come to a point where it is inexcuseable for you to simply use there style as a crutch so you can rock good peices.

Yeah there's a bunch of people that write or have written Skew.. Skew from Sydney, Skew from LA, Skew from Paris (Who I've met, cool guy) l:

Im from Perth and I write Skewa , as well as Skewr, and Skure.

thats why i hated this thread :D coz its so close to the word i write the most , and its quite clear that Askew burns me. And i thort my name was original til i looked in this bloody thread lol .

Big ups Askew , theres some dope pics posted in here.

Ok so you have explained the connection between You, Atom and Smash. I still dont think that makes it ok to use their shit. If you where a toy and these guys where schooling you it might be a different story, but you have been painting for YEARS now and are definatley NOT a toy.

I think it has come to a point where it is inexcuseable for you to simply use there style as a crutch so you can rock good peices.

I believe in Families of style and that certain styles function almost like font sets etc. there are certain flows, shapes and techniques that should be used together and others that shouldn't be mixed. It's a design aesthetic. I look at crews like FC who each as individuals have a take on the style but there is an undeniable FC style that flows through. With TMD, we have worked hard to develop a style that sets us apart from everyone else locally and a big part of that is our connection with our German members. Remember, most of these guys have been painting for around 15-20 years or in Can2's case closer to 25. These guys are our elders and we are influenced, guided and mentored by them very directly. It would be one thing if we sat looking at the net/magazines like a lot of people but we sit in the same room and draw, talk and paint walls together as well as have BBQ's and do normal shit. They are my friends and family and we talk endlessly about style. Smash isn't in our crew but he is on this level with me too.

I Appreciate that you think I'm not a toy and respect that you can identify similarities between my style and the style of some people I consider mentors but I have a totally different approach to painting and a completely open mind to devloping and following directions. I think all good things start with an influence and it's where you take them that counts. I think that can be said for how the whole graffiti movement worked in general.

Also just to clarify, I have never taken colour schemes, exact connections or letter shapes from anyone. I pride myself in my colour choices, I take a long time to plan them and so I do resent being called a biter on that level. Also I have taken a Looser style of painting that may be why right now my shit is looking more on Smash's buzz but it's actually because I stopped using Skinnier caps to outline and only use fat caps..Basically it required a lot more long flowy lines and less of them, so instead of two lines outlining each side of a letter, do the letters touching and put one fat line between them etc. It's all about painting with speed and funk.. If you know where that last one I posted was painted you will know why I need to execute my pieces in around an hour or less these days.

Thanks again for you dialogue people.. I appreciate it.. to David Banner, I am the same person on here as I am in person, it's all about how you approach me though.

Any criticism of Askew only highlights the fact that..

If he can go to Europe, paint 50 full colour pieces with characters in 3 months, hold his own next to the likes of Revok, Smash and Atom, lead TMD to take out W4G and then come home and step up his game on the illegal tip he is obviously moving from strength to strength.

Sure there may be guys with better style on walls or who go much harder on steel, but as a well rounded writer there are few people (at least in the southern hemisphere) who can touch him.

As someone who has known him since the start of high school I can definitely verify that he is exactly the person he portrays himself to be in person and on the net... A style geek who is literally obsessed with graffiti culture.

It's easy for people to say that he takes this and that influence while forgetting that he continues to have a massive influence on many other writers, both locally and across the ocean.

I'm not kissing ass here; we have definitely had our differences but we have always managed to rise above it and thanks to him and a few others, Auckland is an exciting place for graffiti right now (contrary to what you might believe from reading the Auckland thread).

Any criticism of Askew only highlights the fact that..

If he can go to Europe, paint 50 full colour pieces with characters in 3 months, hold his own next to the likes of Revok, Smash and Atom, lead TMD to take out W4G and then come home and step up his game on the illegal tip he is obviously moving from strength to strength.

Sure there may be guys with better style on walls or who go much harder on steel, but as a well rounded writer there are few people (at least in the southern hemisphere) who can touch him.

As someone who has known him since the start of high school I can definitely verify that he is exactly the person he portrays himself to be in person and on the net... A style geek who is literally obsessed with graffiti culture.

It's easy for people to say that he takes this and that influence while forgetting that he continues to have a massive influence on many other writers, both locally and across the ocean.

I'm not kissing ass here; we have definitely had our differences but we have always managed to rise above it and thanks to him and a few others, Auckland is an exciting place for graffiti right now (contrary to what you might believe from reading the Auckland thread).

well said!

:cool:

here's a few outlines Smash did for me, if you haven't already peeped his page http://www.smashtrash.net it's worth a look.

421233a2b3.jpg

060b18bc45.jpg

6c9bd936a8.jpg

Here's some sketches I did for him:

smash1.gif

smash3.gif

smash4.gif

This piece I've posted before but forgot to note that the outline was based on one that Atom did for me, he was trying to show me how static some of my old letters were and wanted me to try adding more swing.

askew_atomdeusryze06.jpg

Some people are afraid of change its too much for them too handle, some people embrace it and twist it around to make it work in their favor. Its a real hard thing to do change. I give anyone who goes through any type of change, and makes the utmost best of it work nothing but absolute props.

I think ASKEW's remarks about crew styles is right on point in the way things used to be. He isn't someone with no connections, or even a semi small connection. He is family and these alot of these guys have been painting so long, that they still have the old "family" system way of acting like crew. Not just putting in memebers because they get up or are popular so you can say they are in your crew, but to actually work as a cohesive unit, discovering and sharing ideas.

I'ts one of the things that I think is missing from most graffiti these days along with regional styles.

I blame computers for this.

Tons of respect goes out to you ASKEW. I find your work soulful, well thought out, and steeped in traditions.

Archived