ASKEW TMD-SUK (NEW ZEALAND)

????

Originally posted by Askew SUK@Jan 31 2005, 07:51 PM

more recently Dizzee Rascal have really led UK hip hop out into the greater arena and there are too many great undergrounds acts to name now... I love how the UK sound has It's own influences too like the dancehall and garage sound.. It takes some getting used to for outsiders wit all the unique slang and shit, but I love it!

Dizee is a pop act fella...every little rudeboy thinks he is fucking top dog cos he listens to Dizee. The other acts you mentioned are heavy like wot. Safe enuff.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

has anyone heard of foreign beggars thez have an album caled asylum speakers worth listening too.

jehst is heavy but his last album didnt compare too high plains. askew dizzee is more garage...but recently hes trying to put his name in the hip hop scene...personally i think he's taking the wrong moves towards it. ive been listening to a bit of portuguese production from a guy called sam the kid....it rocks!

Originally posted by snob@Feb 7 2005, 07:00 AM

has anyone heard of foreign beggars thez have an album caled asylum speakers worth listening too.

jehst is heavy but his last album didnt compare too high plains. askew dizzee is more garage...but recently hes trying to put his name in the hip hop scene...personally i think he's taking the wrong moves towards it. ive been listening to a bit of portuguese production from a guy called sam the kid....it rocks!

hahaha.. thanks guys.. I never actually said I was a fan of Dizee, just that he's kinda mainstream and brought more attention to UK stuff out here.. excuse my ignorance though, I can only comment on what makes it here and that until recently hasn't been much! haha.. But I saw Roots Manuva live and he was really good.. also a cat called Mystro performed at the trans tasman MC battle and he had a great live presence, haven't heard his recorded stuff yet only what he did on a local guy P Moneys latest album...

Anyway, thanks again, will try to get some more flics up soon as.. been a bit snowed under at wrk right now but feeling the need to vent!

Pz

dizzee is not garage man his beats may be influenced by garage style music but how it comes out is defintely aa unique style of uk hiphop..dudes cant hate on him just because he made it big before all the hard workers who have been going longer like rodney p..the guy just got lucky.

roll deep crew had been going for years struggling to make their sound be heard.

askew,

i have to say that im not really feeling your latest styles, having said that tho, its very well done and it comes off tight, but to me (and my insignificant opinion) it just seems like your not totally being yourself and leaning to much on that german kinda style. i was really into your 3d steez (as were a lot of people worldwide it seems) and the letters you were twisting were original and funky, and the level of technique is incredible. but i can see where your coming from now and i know why you changed so dramatically, your having fun now and it shows in the work cant wait to see how you develop this style and how far you take it. once again soopa props, not only on your aerosol steez but with the magazine, events and gallery shows.

peace.

ps-that kid deus is killer, is there anywhere i can see more of his stuff? cheers.

Originally posted by agony@Feb 24 2005, 02:32 AM

askew,

i have to say that im not really feeling your latest styles, having said that tho, its very well done and it comes off tight, but to me (and my insignificant opinion) it just seems like your not totally being yourself and leaning to much on that german kinda style. i was really into your 3d steez (as were a lot of people worldwide it seems) and the letters you were twisting were original and funky, and the level of technique is incredible. but i can see where your coming from now and i know why you changed so dramatically, your having fun now and it shows in the work cant wait to see how you develop this style and how far you take it. once again soopa props, not only on your aerosol steez but with the magazine, events and gallery shows.

peace.

ps-that kid deus is killer, is there anywhere i can see more of his stuff? cheers.

Nah that's cool man.. I mean, no one can know how big a change it was more than me.. But it was really about self satisfaction.. I feel so happy to paint outlines again (Something I haven't done in years!) I just started with that again and can't stop! haha..but in all seriousness, I want to be respected for having good foundation, not just tricky technique.. I know it shouldn't affect me but I really wanna have that under my belt before I go all crazy again, just to know that I can and also just to have that enjoyment from my graffiti again instead of treating it like hard work.

But thanks again for your feedback and I know where you are coming from with that.. all good.

I might start a thread on Deus in the next couple of days because he doesn't get out and paint like he used to, but he has an incredible volume of work regardless..

also after the next issue of the mag drops I will start up a thread on Fiasko from Christchurch, probably one of NZ's most talented writers IMO..

Peace!

Ok because this is becoming a bit of a forum for debate on style I will add my 3.5 cents.

I congratulate Askew on his stylistic development, full stop.

People change and their priorities change as well, so even though a change in style can be a dramatic it can still be a very natural evolution.

I don’t know enough about Askew’s history to comment on him (too him even) personally. But, I do know that due to the proliferation of graffiti media these days some writers learn to run before they can walk in relation to the understanding of letters and letter structure.

There are many writers I could name (I wont out of fear of offending) that could pull out a very dope wild style but, when presented with the challenge of something simple and public, they would struggle.

I speculate this may have had something to do with this metamorphosis; I may be (most likely am) entirely wrong.

Note; From previous reading of this thread I understand Askew’s change in style has been motivated by an interest in overall wall design and the enhanced impact bold colour contrasts can make. (Askew can you elaborate on this or correct me if I’m wrong)

As a very style conscious/focused writer myself I feel that consistency is very important. Not so much quality from piece to piece, or tag to tag, more being able to pull of a smooth stylish gradient from the most simple elements of graffiti (tags, throws) to the most complicated (full colour wild styles) and to complicate things more I feel it is important to reflect both your mood at the time as well as your context in the style.

Certain ways of painting and styles are better suited to certain contexts. (This is a lesson I learnt from walking the streets of New York.)

The most obvious examples of this can be seen in many train focused writers choices to stay simple, vs, wall focused writers to paint wild style.

This idea may seem obvious but it is more complex than first appears. A process of natural selection has occurred within graffiti over the years of its existence, this natural selection has culled throw ups from places where burners can exist and has also pushed wild style away from trains, where more time generally reflects bigger rather than more complicated.

Again a lot of writer’s paths are reflective of (and in some cases predicted by) the style they have chosen to develop.

In my opinion it is the writers who can break this pattern, do the graffiti that is truly appropriate in the space it is being done across the board (trains, rooftops, street sides, track side’s, bridges, legal walls, bombing, rollers etc) that really stick out.

A local example of this would be Prime from Brisbane Australia.

Or internationally People like Revok, Hence and other members of MSK crew, also Rime from New Jersey, In the US.

In Europe there are most likely heaps of examples of this but as I don’t see as much European graffiti it’s hard for me to give examples.

But to bring it full circle, props to Askew for expanding his horizons, hopefully we will see examples of this funky more public style integrating with his older style and technique and continuing to evolve.

Also respect for taking the time and having the interest to respond to peoples comments, positive or negative, it paints a very good picture.

Please feel free to add to this, Askew or others; I am always interested in communicating with writers who analyse graffiti on this level.

A big thing happened to me when I went to Europe..a lot of realisation when I spent that quality time with a lot of the writers I look up to. painting next to people of that calibre and coming home with only the photos to remember those days, I felt disheartened when I looked at a lot of my work next to theirs.. I felt like the impact was often missing in my work, my colour selection was really drab and a lot of time consuming technical stuff wasn't even visible in the format most people would end up viewing my work. I love concept walls and all that, but I think they are lost without that foundation, like B-Boys with power that can't actually dance on beat. I've really been looking for the balance between simple and complex.. thats what all this has been about..

Here's a couple from the weekend and today..

askewsurrey05.jpg

orientation05.jpg

Originally posted by fuckedupafro@Feb 28 2005, 08:59 AM

amazingly fresh works from you mate. i've enjoyed watching your progression, and look forward to seeing how far you can push these letters.

also, what's "O'che"?

Haha.. yeah it's my girlfriends B-girl name.. I used to put Bioc up for her...but she recently changed it to O'che...

glad i found this thread.. yo askew! juz wana say that your past 3D graff definitely have an influence on me.. thanks man. and im glad to see ya tryin out different styles.. keep it up bro!

peace:)

PS: do ya have any production ya done recently wit suk? can2 atom etc.. more pics! :king:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...