Flag burning

Guest Uncle Wiggly

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Thats what people always do when you complain about Israel and Americas favortism towards them.

'Oh you dont like the Jews'

'Sorry Im not racist like you'

'Youre a nazi'

Its because you have no other recourse. You cant possibly defend Israels' actions. You have to attack the messenger.

You realize that an Israeli military guy ran over an American woman protesting the Israeli actions on Palestinians? Shit barely made the news in America. The guy actually ran her over and backed up and ran her over. He said it was an honest mistake and didnt see her. He was put back on the job within a few days. But when a person from Palestine, which has no real military, is so desperate for any type of revenge they commit suicide attacks, oh that shit is all over the news. Palestinians and arabs/muslims in general are painted as terrorists and Israel as victims. Its seriously fucked up.

Well hows this..

Im not a fucking nazi.

I dont hate the Jews.

Fuck Israel.

How ya like that?

Guest Uncle Wiggly

I thnk the most ironic thing is, if you look at the fine print concerning the flag's care in the Constitution, the ONLY prescribed way of 'retiring' and disposing of a flag is... you guessed it, BURNING!

We, as a country, are not supposed to let the flag even touch the ground, much less the inside of a trash bin... so, long ago it was detirmined that the only truly respectful way to get rid of a flag is bunning... and now that's gonna be against the law...

Re: flag burners get

Originally posted by Weapon X

That's a such a teenage vegan anti-corporate commie fuckhead thing to do.

Originally posted by El Mamerro

I've always thought flag-burning is pretty stupid. I guess it held some strength when it first started happening, it carried a strong message, but nowadays the idea is played out and just seems childish.

Attacking symbols instead of the symbolized is rather futile these days.

you guys have your opinions which have some validity. i can even see where you guys are coming from and understand why you feel the way you do.

but that's your choice to not burn flags. Congress can not make laws that inhibit someone else's expression that really doesn't endanger anybody, no matter how "childish" you think it is.

you assholes are making me look like some nazi.

wearing my german football jersey.

and seeing all this shit on the screen, next to my jewish co worker.

thanks.

the irish were slaves for years.

the blacks were slaves for years.

the tibet guys are still living under the rule of china i think.

lots of stuff sucks, lots of people suffer, not just jews.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Re: Re: flag burners get

Originally posted by bug

but that's your choice to not burn flags. Congress can not make laws that inhibit someone else's expression that really doesn't endanger anybody, no matter how "childish" you think it is.

True, I agree. But then that raises tons of other issues, I mean, my walking down the street with my balls hanging out doesn't endanger anyone either, does that mean it should be legal?

damn mamerro, how Tease of you...

hanging your balls out in public is not a related issue to the implied message of flag burning. flag burning wouldn't affect a child's natural development of sexual awareness. actually, if there's no kids around, some dude walking around with his sack on display is perfectly fine by me. genuine entertainment, you know you'd have a good laugh after you saw it.

keep the red herrings out of the discussion. :o

I think it should be all the way illegal. Burning a flag (in a sense that you're not retiring it, but symbolizing hatred) is as bad as spraying a swastika on a synagogue, to me.

Being Canadian, when I think of another citizen burning my flag, I get enraged. I think of the people who commited a whole heap of sacrifices to protect my country which has an incredibe standard of living.

This is a quote I came up with that I use a lot when discussing this issue:

"The Canadian flag does not necessarily represent what this country is, but what you want it to be."

That said, all those bullshit crybaby ignorant fucks who drive their mom's car out to the trendy bars and complain about everything under the sun should wake the fuck up.

Re: damn mamerro, how Tease of you...

Originally posted by bug

hanging your balls out in public is not a related issue to the implied message of flag burning. flag burning wouldn't affect a child's natural development of sexual awareness. actually, if there's no kids around, some dude walking around with his sack on display is perfectly fine by me. genuine entertainment, you know you'd have a good laugh after you saw it.

keep the red herrings out of the discussion. :o

Oooh, dude, you totally just compared me to tease... unforgivable.

I threw the balls thing out as one example of many similar situations. But to stay within the analogy, I could argue that the sight of balls doesn't affect the natural sexual development of a child at all, only the society-imposed sexual development that says the norm is to have clothes on. And even still its arguable if there's any effect. The law is there because adults find it offensive, not children.

Some adults find flag burning to be very offensive, so they want to make it illegal too. Just like you won't show your balls in public, then don't burn flags in public, out of respect for the sentiments of others. There's tons of other things that can fall into the same situation. Why aren't you fighting for your legal right to have anal sex with your girlfriend? The right to remove the tag on your mattress? The right to set your own house on fire? The right to use something you own in whatever way you please, even if it's not consistent with its intended use? The right to libel, slander, and generally defame anyone you please, because it's your free expression?

Regardless, freedom of expression isn't a complete reality. There's tons of ways you are not allowed to express yourself daily, I don't see why not being able to burn a flag is such a big deal. Instead of fighting over this, there's a jillion other more constructive ways to spend your time finding much more efficient alternatives of expressing the same point. Beer,

El Mamerro

Hell, god knows I don't give a crap about offending people. I'm just saying, why are we fighting so hard for the right to offend?

Re: Re: damn mamerro, how Tease of you...

Oooh, dude, you totally just compared me to tease... unforgivable.

heh, it was just a joke dude, you're obviously a well-thought and articulate person...if you were even remotley like the above mentioned closed-minded twit, i wouldn't bother even trying to see some sort of agreement on your part.

I threw the balls thing out as one example of many similar situations. But to stay within the analogy, I could argue that the sight of balls doesn't affect the natural sexual development of a child at all, only the society-imposed sexual development that says the norm is to have clothes on. And even still its arguable if there's any effect. The law is there because adults find it offensive, not children.

true, and i thought the same thing about the social-construct of sexual norms when i typed that, but i was just mentioning the function of why such a law is in place, not the validity of it. And i still maintain that legislation prohibiting flag burning is even less valid.

Some adults find flag burning to be very offensive, so they want to make it illegal too. Just like you won't show your balls in public, then don't burn flags in public, out of respect for the sentiments of others. There's tons of other things that can fall into the same situation. Why aren't you fighting for your legal right to have anal sex with your girlfriend? The right to remove the tag on your mattress? The right to set your own house on fire? The right to use something you own in whatever way you please, even if it's not consistent with its intended use? The right to libel, slander, and generally defame anyone you please, because it's your free expression?

Im not fighting for my right for anal sex, libation, etc..or even flag burning. I'm just stating my opinion on why i think prohibiting flag burning is absurd. Make another thread about those other issues, then i can think about it...

Regardless, freedom of expression isn't a complete reality. There's tons of ways you are not allowed to express yourself daily, I don't see why not being able to burn a flag is such a big deal. Instead of fighting over this, there's a jillion other more constructive ways to spend your time finding much more efficient alternatives of expressing the same point.

I agree that there are way more efficient methods to demonstarting resistance, but the bottom line is that prohibiting flag burning is a form of Forced-Allegience, which i just can't condone. Following your logic, next they'll make burning Bible's Illegal, then textbooks, etc...to the point where we won't be able to do any symbolic act that could offend anyone.

Its freedom of opinion. Crybabies cant seem to cope with it. I see flagburning as artistic statement. Calling yourself a free country says: Yes burn my flag - your are free to do that. If a flag becomes old,faded, and has seams it is supposed to be incinerated. Now what the fuck kind of double standard is that?

Originally posted by Weapon X

"The ... flag does not necessarily represent what this country is, but what you want it to be."

BasinBot..."artistic"? No...

I think you should be shot if you burn the flag. Hey, if you have a problem with the way things are being run, then deal with it; shoot a cop, write your local politician, yell at people with a megaphone at a busy intersection

Really, you guys sound like that pervert in that MANBLA episode of South Park. It doesn't matter which way you slice it, burning your country's flag is dead wrong.

What happened to patriotism and respect for history, and especially for the future?

My country? Like you have a choice of what country you want to be born in. It isnt anybody's country. You cannot own this planet - That's out of anybody's hands. But if someone is determined to say this land is rightfully there's and that the land is free - I feel obligated to show everyone how free it really is not. A flag is nothing more then a symbol, no flag is more important then the next one. I suppose If I was burning an anarchist flag - you wouldnt have any problem..

Sure. Flagburning can be art. Your gonna tell me it cant be? Its a very artful practice. But only when I do so (or another artist) - because I can call it art. Me typing on this keyboard is art because I claim it to be. But it lacks the meaning that burning a flag has so I wont call it art.

And for the record: I have burned 2 american flags in my life. You know those little paper toothpick ones..

OH THE HUMANITY!

Guest Uncle Wiggly

I just worry that the legislture is sending a mixed message to the youth of today...

Flag burning: Illegal (and immoral to boot!)

Cross Burning: free and PROTECTED speech

At least we've got our priorities in order...

Flags symbolize beliefs. Everyone doesnt share the same belief. American people believe in freedom and democracy, Communist people do not. If a communist burns an American Flag its wrong. If an American burns a communist flag, Americans dont find it wrong. This idea says that one belief is better then the other, as well as the flags. Symbolic Supremacy. Should that word exist for a country calling itself a provider of freedom? Nobody's flag is better in any way then the next guy's. The law is bullshit. Would anyone be pissed off if I burnt a mint condition flag with only 48 stars on it? Having a flag with only 48 stars on would be unpatriotic, yet its the same flag representing the same country and it's long fucked up history, take away 50 years. FREE? apparently not. Why even play around with the word patriotism - who wants stand up for a big lie that keeps you down? Im mean unless your the liar..

Guest Uncle Wiggly
Originally posted by FUCK_ISRAEL

Israel was a creation of a movement called zionism. zionists believe that the land of Palestine, a.k.a. The Holy Land, belongs to the Jewish people, and shoud be theirs no matter what, and not shared with anyone.

ZIonism emerged after the Holocaust, and Zionist beliefs are NOT jewish beliefs and are NOT written in the Torah, it is a violent inhuman racist movement that is loosing support and is being kept down by Palestinian youth that are living in Palestine.

Come back with a history book, because you seem to just be spouting propaganda with no basis in fact...

Way back around 1850 there were already over 10 thousand Jews in Palestine, by the 1920's there were already close to 100, 000 Jews in Palestine.

Palestine hasn't been a 'country' very much in the last 200 years... It was mostly part of the Ottoman Empire.

Zionism was started in 1896 as a reaction to anti-semitism and in order to try to found a Jewish state ANYWHERE in the world... around 1905 or so the Zionist commitees had all agreed to found a state in Argentina, but a couple years later changed it to Palestine.

Then came WWI ... Britan pledged freedom for the Arab states if they supported the Allies against Germany (and Turkey)... so, after the war, the arab regions were divided into zones of influence. Lebanon and Syria were given to France. Jordan and Iraq to Britain. Palestine was supposed to be "internationalized".

Then the British decided that they agreed and there should be a Jewish homeland in Palestine and by 1918, the migration was on... The first big Arab/Jew conflict was back in 1929.

What fuels the conflict now has little to do with any of that stuff though, the basic problems of today stem from the 1948 annexation of 80% of Palestine by the Israelis and the 1967 war.

1948 was probably WAY over the line of cool but... 1967, heh, all the Arab countries attacked Israel, and got their asses handed to them in a hat. The Jews pursued them as they retreated and Israel took this opportunity to expand their country by taking land from the invaders. I'm pretty sure that's how war works so I don't really see a problem but...

Since then, Israel has been annexing up Palstine on the regular and that is also uncool...

Anyway, I'm saying that whatever Fuck Israel's opinion, it has little basis in fact and shows a general ignorance of the entire situation...

and this is the FLAG BURNING thread

Archived