Depression

socrates

So I got diagnosed with depression about 3 years ago, but it is against my beliefs to take any type of medicene. So I've just kinda gone through the last couple years by meditating and hitting a punching bag. I've never really talked to anyone about what made me depressed and no one can really tell because I cover it with sarcasm. So I went back to the doctor about 2 weeks ago and he said that judging by my rapid mood swings I could be manic depressive, which scares me a little because it's not just something you can cure or will go away. And since I know that there are people on this board who've dealt with this type of stuff and worse, are there any good suggestions on what to do, I don't want to take meds but if this is a long term thing I think I might sacrafice to save myself.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i been dealing with that shit a lot lately, for like a year almost and my mom want to take me to a doctor and get meds but i refuse to take any type of pills for it. my only tip is to get really involved in your hobbies so you dont have much time to sit around and feel depressed.

I'm still in denial somewhat. I don't want to get diagnosed. I came close enough to know I have some form, but the doctor kind of freaked me out a bit, and I split before doing the bloodwork. haven't been back since.

I'm starting to notice the quick switch from very happy to completely despondant that happens without cause. I think I may be bipolar as opposed to some other form. I wonder if theres any hereditary link? my dad is bi-polar. Meds aren't a perfect fix either. my dad is doing fairly well these days, but its a juggling act of different meds. he had a period where nothing worked. and whats working now may slowly stop working. its a hard thing to "cure". I wish I could offer some advice.

Originally posted by IntangibleFame

I sometimes wonder what I would be considered when it comes to depression...but I hate doctors guess ill never find out.

It's important to know that you're not alone in depression. The common belief amongst psychiatrists and psychologists is that approximately 1 in 5 people will experience unipolar depression at one point in their lifetime. Some symptoms are: Loss of interest in things, poor appetite, aggression (usually low), guilt (feelings of worthlessness), insomnia, suicidal thoughts.

I think it's important that if you are diagnosed that you receive treatment. Depression isn't something that is a weakness, or something that you can fix yourself. It's normal to feel sad once in a while. But it's not normal for it to last longer than two weeks at a time. You can't increase serotonin levels in your brain. You'd go to the doctor if you had cancer- this is the same type of thing. The new drugs on the market are highly effective- I urge you to try them.

Originally posted by ese

I'm still in denial somewhat. I don't want to get diagnosed. I came close enough to know I have some form, but the doctor kind of freaked me out a bit, and I split before doing the bloodwork. haven't been back since.

I'm starting to notice the quick switch from very happy to completely despondant that happens without cause. I think I may be bipolar as opposed to some other form. I wonder if theres any hereditary link? my dad is bi-polar. Meds aren't a perfect fix either. my dad is doing fairly well these days, but its a juggling act of different meds. he had a period where nothing worked. and whats working now may slowly stop working. its a hard thing to "cure". I wish I could offer some advice.

If you have a relative who is unipolar or bipolar you're about 10x as likely to experience either disorder during your lifetime. The most effective drugs (Tricyclics and MAOI's) are about 60% effective, so it's important to find a good fit.

i dont know if this will work if you have a 'medical condition' but just try to do the things you used to more, and just force yourself to do shit you know you should but dont want to... it sucks ass at first but i find, when im in depressed periods, that once you start getting on the right track, its almost as easy to work and do things as it is to be idle and feel bad, its just the change thats hard.

there you go, lifestyle advice from a 16 year old. if its worth a shit, id be surprised, but it might be worth considering.

this will cheer you up

It was the first day of school, and a new student, the son of a Japanese businessman, was entering the fourth grade.

The teacher greeted the class and said, "Let's begin by reviewing some American history. Who said, 'Give me liberty or give me death?'"

She saw only a sea of blank faces, except for that of Toshiba, who had his hand up.

"Patrick Henry, 1775," said the boy.

"Now," said the teacher, "who said 'Government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth?'"

Again, there was no response except from Toshiba. "Abraham Lincoln, 1863."

The teacher snapped at the class, "You should be ashamed. Toshiba, who is new to our country, knows more about it than you do."

As she turned to write something on the blackboard, she heard a loud whisper: "Damned Japanese."

"Who said that?" she demanded.

Toshiba put his hand up. "Lee Iacocca, 1982," he said.

At that point, feeling completely disgusted by Toshiba's classroom superiority, a student in the back sighed and said, "I'm gonna throw up."

The Teacher asked, "Who said that?"

Again, Toshiba raised his hand and said, "George Bush to Japanese Prime Minister, 1991."

Furious, another student yelled, "Oh yeah? Well suck my dick!"

Once again, it was Toshiba with the answer: "Bill Clinton, to Monica Lewinsky, 1997."

Guest willy.wonka

i smoke weed, but i think it just makes it worse......i smoke too much.

prozac anybody?in our water?sounds good.

Guest sneak
Originally posted by willy.wonka

i smoke weed, but i think it just makes it worse......i smoke too much.

prozac anybody?in our water?sounds good.

on weed and depression...

i smoke a lot, and i find that it helps clear my mind out a lot and i get a chance to think about things. usually i dont get to spend much time throughout a day thinking so that could be a bonus.

but, with draw, there is always the lows. i become extremely stressed out when its been a while since i got high. in fact, i get a lot of the "symptoms of depression" when ever i dont have any weed or any means to get it.

My best friend who suffers from severe depression was on prozac and tried saint john's wart and all kinds of synthetic drugs. Nothing helped until he started going to therapy and had hypnosis sessions. He was an extreme chain smoker for over 10 years and was so underweight he looked like an Ethiopian refugee. Since his hypnosis sessions, he has quit smoking and gained 10 pounds and is on his way to a more positive life style. It's so nice to see him socializing and wanting go out and have fun.

Ive been diagnosed with depression since i was 15, after I 1st got busted the state had me reviewed by a psychiatrist. They put me in a juvenile looney bin prison, and after a few weeks, I had to come back 3 times a week. I was also prescribed several psychotropic drugs (zoloft,prozac,etc) which did nothing but fuck me up worse, and got me addicted to cigarettes. In reality, all I had to do was analyze myself, and pinpoint why I was depressed. It turned out to be low self esteem, and I analyzed where it came from, and how I didnt deserve those emotional scars, and how I was a much better person than I believed. I also learned that I turned to drugs to numb my severe pain inside, and violence to overcompensate for my low self esteem. Doctors are way too quick to prescribe drugs, and too lazy to take some effort into looking at the problems of their patients and its emotional effects. Plus my moms used the situation to become a fucken martyr, rather than looking at her large hand in my screwed up state, so everyone jumped at a quick fix that exonerated themselves from guilt. Try and psychoanalyze yourself, read books on how the brain works, physiological psychology, and how certain experiences in your life may have adversely effected you. Break it down and talk to someone with a positive mindset about it. Many people actually have chemical deficiencies in their brain that cause these problems, but look into all options before taking drugs. They really can fuck you up, in the brain and body. I took that shit for a year, and when I saught help 5 years later as an adult, my doctor merely prescribed me different shit to take. I never even filled my new prescription, rather I opted to analyze my shit, talked it out with several close homies, and developed a positive mindset through self affirmation and reasoning. I might add that weed dont help when youre all up in your hole of despair, but it was a great tool that gave me another viewpoint on my situations while pulling myself out of that whole. Good luck and only take drugs if you have no other option. Peace, and remember it will always get better

Originally posted by Rectum

going for doctors for depression is for pussies

most people feel down at time.deal with it yourself. work it away yourself, a doctor isnt gonna help

this is bullshit,if you have depression you're better off going to a doctor for it..but be ready to try different pills,some help and some make it worse.