Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
freeze

community/youth center

i need some ideas and opinions from everyone. i'm moving back to chicago in august and since i have yet to find my "passion" as my parents like to call it i'm not down to put the degree to work and get a real job. instead, i want to continue working with/for the people who share the same interests and ideas that i do, so i've decided that i want to start a community/youth center in the city. pretty much the basic premise of the center would be to give kids an outlet for their ideas and, i don't mean to sound corny and cliche, to give them a place to chill that doesn't involve drugs, alcohol, or any of the shit that goes down on the streets. essentially it would be a home away from home, run by kids for kids. if anybody has read anything by william upski wimsatt, that's the type of shit i'm talking about.

what i need from yall are some ideas on what you'd like to have in such a center, sorts of programs, projects...shit like that. basically, what would make you a: want to be a part of such a center and b: be proud of the center? i'm working on putting together a business proposal now and am in the process of making a list/contacting potential donors and supporters for the project. any ideas would really help me build on what i've already got. peace.

there are a few youth centers here to keep kids off the streets and whatnot... don't call it a youth center or no one will go to it. nobody goes to the ones here. there's a pool table in the neighborhood one, and that was good for like, 3 days last summer... i dunno, i can't really think of anything without getting that boys&girls club kids in uniform picking up cigarette butts on the streets image in my head. good luck

check out this SPOT

(be patient, it took awhile for me)

it sounds alot like something you want to do. and it has been very very sucsesful! they have a great idea going!

Originally posted by some pittsburgh flavor

don't call it a youth center or no one will go to it.

^^that place above is called a youth center and people are still in there all the time!

thanks for that link nomada, it's exactly what i needed. are you from denver? do you chill there, because, ironically enough, that's where i'm at until i move back to the chi.

Get your nonprofit status going, especially tax exemption. Fund trips to the country or other fun places for poor kids to go. For immediate response, apply or make proposals for beautification grants, murals, cleanups, etc. Facilitate art, drama, pottery, karate,etc classes in this center. Also social services would help, Chi town has a lot of mexicans so an english class would be really good. Hang around schools to get good with administration, they can be a BIG help if youre on the same page. Otherwise GOOD LUCK.

PS If youre really serious, me and my wife run the same sort of thing in LA, and we could give you a lot of advice. We are still trying to get a big grant to start our own community center in Boyle Heights(East LA).hopefully Chicago has more appreciation for this stuff, in LA they expect any social service to be prison or boot camp.

Originally posted by INDIAN GIVER

whatever you do, do not get that orange macdonalds juice for the kids to drink. i hate that shit. and any youth center i've ever been to has that shit to drink.

^^^The McDonald's orange punch was the good shit, only special occasions. That tampico bullshit was what I hated. Or crappy ass shasta soda.

- turkey hand drawings!

- duck duck goose.

- hide and seek.

-naptime

-em.. fingerpainting.

i do not fucking know sorry.

Guest krie

haha duck duck goose

that was funny game

Guest ctrl+alt+del

things i thought of when i read this post:

Norm McDonald

This "Jesus Freak" truck that i see around town

Donald Duck

Fill and throw piss grenades

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this