Style-wars appreciation thread

Stats-KC-

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest imported_sofarok

i love this movie so much, the dvd is like the thing you always wanted but you new would never happen..but it did...a friend gave another friend a copy for his birthday, he bought a dvd player just so he could watch it

where did u get ur copy frum

Originally posted by IVO AKM KILLERZ

I JUST GOT STYLE WARS ON DVD, AND CANT TELL EVERYONE HOW MUCH THEY REALLY NEED TO GET IT - TOTALLY 110% PURE DOPENESS, I THINK THE 23 MINS OF OUT TAKE FOOTAGE FROM ORIGINAL STYLE WARS IS OFF THE HIZZZZZZY, PLUS ALL THE NEW (!!!) INTERVIEWS I THINK ALL DONE IN 2002 SO STILL MAD RECENT EXAMPLE SKEME AND HIS MUM PART TWO IN 2002, MIN, BLADE, CAP, DEZ, IZ THE WIZ, MARE 139, QUIK, SEEN ANY MANY MORE SO GO OUT ANY BUY IT INSTEAD OF WASTING YOUR TIME ON THE INTERNET MALAKA'S....

:lick: :lick: :lick: :lick: :lick: :lick: :lick: :lick: :lick: :lick: :lick: :lick: :lick:

hey ivo where did u get ur copy frum. dus phat stuff or woteva stock it yet or did u order that shit

Guest TEARZ

"THIS IS IT!!! THIS IS IT!!! THIS IS IT!!!"

easily my favorite part of the movie... i'd love to see extra footage, didn't even know about it.

that random chick they talk to is so hot the one that goes "i thought they were just writing anything but this means a lot to them, like he's writing his girlfriends name...."

"its gonna be crossed out by tomorah as soon as they find out its here..........Yo help me with the 3d nikki"

GIMME SOME CANDY,MAN...

WORD LOOK AT THAT EYE,ITS LIKE ITS HIS EYE....

SO WHY IS YOU TALKIN ABOUT IT FO?...

WELL I AINT NO SONNY...

"I DIDNT START WRITING TO DO CANVASES,I DIDNT START WRITNG TO GO TO PARIS,I STARTED WRITING TO BOMB,DESTROY ALL LINES."

how long do you think youll do it? "TIL IM FINISHED"....

"Its in the grafitti Artist favor, to be as cool , common ,collected about putting his art on the train as he can"

"They must live in there, be allowed to live in there, or jus be allowed to goo off like that"

"were dressing the city with our names there beating the sysytem, Were trying our darndest"

Whos cap? You cap? I dunno Some big white boy..

Guest mikro137

vaughn bode and the who? FRANK ROZEEETTTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

THA BEASTMASTERS!

Originally posted by TEARZ

"THIS IS IT!!! THIS IS IT!!! THIS IS IT!!!"

easily my favorite part of the movie... i'd love to see extra footage, didn't even know about it.

yeah, they mention that in Iz's update

hawt

sk-you doodle all the time

mum-i dont doodle

sk-yes you do doodle

mum-no i dont..

sk-yes you do, you do doodle on the phone all the time

mum-i do not doodle.

mum- you have wrecked your bedroom

sk - just testin out my paint..

-skeme and his mum, classic.-

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by destroya

anyone interested in ripping their copy onto their computer and sharing it?

I hope NO one puts this on the net!!

If there was ever a DVD you paid for let this be the one!!

It's worth every cent!!

And you gotta give Henry Chalfant his for the work that he did to capture this little bit of history <span style='color:red'>"FOREVER"!!! </span>

Go out and buy this shit and get "The Freshest B-Boy" while you're at it!!!

Originally posted by destroya

anyone interested in ripping their copy onto their computer and sharing it?

how about no. fucking cheap fuck. do you support anything or do you steal everything?

and it's "the freshest kids"

and crazy legs is a herb.

blades 2002 interview is easily the best in my opinion...

with a flick of a Dead Leg top-to-bottom from about 1973 in his hand: "when that pulled into the station everyone, even normal people would turn around and be like 'what the fuck is that?'..."

"Hondo did the first top-to-bottom wholecar, and for 8 months or so they couldn't work out how to clean the windows". :king:

favourite part of the original: the old lady in the gallery - "...i'd keeel you maarn"...

dont mean to offend you

Its a good movie and all, and iv'e seen it a hundred times, but GET OFF THEIR NUTS! They're not gods, but were in the right place at the right time. Now make your place the right time so maybe some future herbs will lick the sweat off your nuts too.

Re: dont mean to offend you

Originally posted by swiss cheese

Its a good movie and all, and iv'e seen it a hundred times, but GET OFF THEIR NUTS! They're not gods, but were in the right place at the right time. Now make your place the right time so maybe some future herbs will lick the sweat off your nuts too.

i know mate thats cool. i saw it for the first time today, and to be honest i didn't think it was as brilliant as everyone has told me over the years. i don't think anything could live up to a reputation like that.

for the older generation in my country it holds a special place, because all they had in '85 or whatever was style wars and subway art. that was it. i was born in '83, i've had everything handed to me on a plate compared to them. and i don't even have to try and emulate the original NYC style. 'euro' style is already developed. :lol:

http://www.pixelsurgeon.com/pages/reviews/reviews/moviereviews/stylewars/image.jpg'>

Style wars DVD review:

Style Wars is truly a classic. Some would argue that it characterizes the true spirit and energy of hip-hop culture; with DJs, MCs, b-boys and graffiti writers. KRS-1 was quoted as saying “If you want to know what hip-hop is really all about, see a film called Style Wars.” I couldn’t agree more.

Style Wars, originally released in 1983, won the Grand Prize for a documentary at the Sundance Film Festival and was even aired on PBS. But all that aside, it was representational of the early beginnings of hip-hop culture, and more importantly the graffiti writers, who were bringing a new form of art to the masses via the New York subway system.

Tony Silver and Henry Chalfant gave viewers an in-depth look into the lives of these new artists; the struggles that faced them and the bonds that held them together. City Pages describes Style Wars as "A unique and unforgettable look at the romance of anonymous fame: kids risking their lives to go 'all city,' hurdling high-voltage third rails and wedging themselves between moving train cars to get their names in large letters, zooming through other neighborhoods."

While the writers were busy bombing the trains, Ed Koch (the mayor of New York at the time) was busy trying anything and everything to prevent them from painting the trains. They tried everything from “washing” the trains in a highly toxic acid-solution to eventually barricading the trains yards with giant fences and guard dogs to keep the writers out. They were also faced with the on-going problem of police brutality.

The 2-disc set was released for the twentieth anniversary of the film and has a digitally re-mastered soundtrack with classics from Grandmaster Flash, The Treacherous Three, The Fearless Four and others. It also has interviews with Tony Silver and Henry Chalfant and some original outtake footage.

The second disc has 32 artist galleries with new interviews, trains and rare photos with Crazy Legs, Daze, Dondi, Doze, Duro, Iz the Wiz, Seen TC5, Rammellzee, Zephyr and many more. It has guest interviews with Guru, Fab 5 Freddy, DJ Red Alert, Goldie and Martha Cooper. Disc 2 also has tributes to Dondi and Shy 147 and another feature entitled “Destroy All Lines”, which is a 30 minute loop of over 200 train cars and burners. It also features music from Def Jux artists such as El-P, RJD2, Aesop Rock and others.

Style Wars is about the roots of hip-hop and graffiti, dating back to the earliest writer, Taki183. After seeing this film, you will have a better understanding of how hip-hop culture came to be and the driving force behind it.

Website

i like that bit when dez is rapping then it cuts to melle mell. i love that whole 2nd disc with all the updates and what there doing now etc. skeme's mum is a legend. in someways i wish those new interviews had of went on forever. does anybody know what happened 2 kase? did he just not want to be involved in the dvd?

it was interesting the way that the writers described the sandess the day they took away the trains and how they turned to more serious crimes.

Archived