The innovative style thread

Vlad

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by 5ive0ero2wo

you cant leave out DALEK when talking about innovative styles...

always just seemed kinda like giant but couldnt draw as good... then got progressively fruitier, then hopped on the cloud train. then the never really bombed much "graffiti artist in a gallery" cult. but maybe thats just me.. ? nothing personal at all, just never struck me as anything new.

Guest WebsterUno
Originally posted by ShitFuck

holy shit, that 3 piece production is fucking bonkers.. who painted it?

its not just three pieces.

There is waaaaay more to that prodo.

The new graphotism has it in there.

Its a long ass wall, and very big in size.

someone should post it up, its dope!

I wish I could see it in person.

maybe some things are lost when it actually has to read?

in the US, it been the standard to really understand letters (tags to throw to straight letters) and then try the newness, i guess what you call "innovation" (this DOES need a definition...). I see the beauty in well-formed letters, and then even more with letters blossoms into true wildstyles. in architecture, theres a saying "form follows function". i dont believe this, bc i see both form and function are equally important, and subject to high standards as seperates. a pieces' function is to read a word, right? a lot of these pieces dont "function" to me... anyhoo, hope this makes any difference somewhere.

can we please stop with the posts starting with "in the us..." or "in europe..."

I completely agree with the form and function point you made (in architecture though, a building serves a purpose - i.e. it can look really cool, but can people live in it? etc...)

graff and most art in general has a purpose of being pleasing to someones eye, and evoking an emotion,

so i dont think comparison of the two (architecture and art) in the sense you were talking about is really an accurate point.

dont get me wrong architecture is an art, but paintings on a wall are somewhat like apples and oranges.

speaking of apples and oranges, and getting back to what I was originally saying...like form and function the us and europe are two different states of graff...yes they have their similarities but the seperation of cultures (which is rapidly diminishing dues to globalization, but im not gonna get into that) prohibit a true connection between the two places. each state of graffiti has born different style, which is inevitable with a huge damn lake seperating the masses of land.

Guest beardo

"form follows function". i dont believe this, bc i see both form and function are equally important, and subject to high standards as seperates. a pieces' function is to read a word, right? a lot of these pieces dont "function" to me... anyhoo, hope this makes any difference somewhere.

not necessarily. readability might not (obviously) be the artists intention. that doesnt mean it doesnt have form and function (which could be anything, not just its existance as a 'word'). i know the function of my work is how one letter relates and reacts to the one following it, and how it gets you there. being able to read the ultimate outcome isnt the goal. i think, as usual, it comes down to personal taste. what you desire as function differs from what i desire.

Re: maybe some things are lost when it actually has to read?

http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/fnart/Corbu/savoye1.jpg'>

villa savoye, by le corbusier

Originally posted by eatyervegetablz

in the US, it been the standard to really understand letters (tags to throw to straight letters) and then try the newness, i guess what you call "innovation" (this DOES need a definition...). I see the beauty in well-formed letters, and then even more with letters blossoms into true wildstyles. in architecture, theres a saying "form follows function". i dont believe this, bc i see both form and function are equally important, and subject to high standards as seperates. a pieces' function is to read a word, right? a lot of these pieces dont "function" to me... anyhoo, hope this makes any difference somewhere.

by your standards then, this building is not functional.

to the architect, it is. his intention was to create a piece of art (and then some) within the built environment, not a liveable space for people. (as far as i know, this building is uninhabited). the building has form, and is also functional based on the ARCHITECTS standards. (what beardo was saying)

i guess this is where "innovative styles" come into play? the functionality depends moreso on the artist's intentions than they do in other more conventional forms of graffiti.

Guest Pilau Hands

I think one thing that people don't often get is that some or your favorite "innovative" artists love letters, and put a lot of work into them. If you had the opportunity to sit down with some of these people and they showed you their letters...it's amazing. It might not be your particular favorite style, but it's there. Even though readability might not be the goal of the artist, seeing their train of thought and being able to pick out their letters from then on, adds something to the enjoyment of the piece.

What makes a good letter? I mean at some point if it looks like an L and you say it's an M...you'll get the gasface. But it's a thin line..

[between love and hate]

howdy, pilau ---> thanks SO MUCH for letting me stay at your house, (like 1 year ago??)..

can we get some more dephect and b.hope up in this? anyone?

by the look of things, (or quantity of pieces posted) kema is the most innovative dude up here.

Guest Pilau Hands
way too much kema work in this thread

stop hating on him dude. just battle him and let the walls do the jibba-jabba

hater:heated:

NOT FOR NOTHING AND IM SURE EVERYONE WILL JUST IGNORE THIS COMMENT BUT IF YOU CANNOT READ IT FOR SHIT LIKE 95% OF THIS SHIT IT MAY LOOK FUCKING AWESOME BUT IT ISNT GRAFF SORRY TO TELL YOU BUT ITS ART ON A WALL DONE WITH SPRAY ENAMEL (OR HOWEVER AN ARTIST WOULD SAY IT ON ONE OF THOSE LITTLE WHITE CARDS NEXT TO THE ART IN THE MUSEUM)

KEMA JOKER ETC..ALL FUCKING BEAUTIFUL I LOVE TO LOOK AT IT BUT MAN I CANNOT ACCEPT IT AS GRAFF WHEN IT JUST LOOKS LIKE COLORFORMS...

I THINK OF IT LIKE THIS.IF YOUR GOAL WAS TO PAINT A STILL LIFE PAINTING OF ANYTHING AND YOU THREW SOME PAINT AT A CANVAS AND SAID ITS YOURE PERSPECTIVE ON SAID SUBJECT..THATS COOL IT MAY LOOK GREAT BUT IT ISNT A PAINTING OF SAID SUBJECT. GET WHAT I MEAN?

ANYHOW PROPS TO ALMOST EVERYTHING IN THIS THREAD FOR MAKING ME STARE FOR A WHILE AND ENJOY THE SCENERY.

Archived