• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RumPuncher

We are so F'ked

90% of large fish in world's oceans are gone

Oh man... we're doomed!

The collapse of Atlantic cod stocks, far from being an unusual disaster, is typical of what's happening to large fish around the world, a major study has found.

Industrial fishing has cut populations of large fish in the oceans to a mere 10 per cent of 1950 levels, says the study, published Wednesday in Nature magazine. The devastating decline affects open ocean species such as tuna, swordfish and marlin, and groundfish such as cod, halibut and flounder. "Our analysis suggests that the global ocean has lost more than 90 per cent of large predatory fishes," study authors Ransom Myers and Boris Worm of Dalhousie University say.

Myers says the world is in "massive denial", spending its energy fighting over the few fish left instead of cutting harvests before it's too late.

"We have to understand how close to extinction some of these populations really are," he said in an interview.

"And we must act now before they reach the point of no return."

"We are in massive denial and continue to bicker over the last shrinking numbers of survivors, employing satellites and sensors to catch the last fish left," Myers said.

so in 50 years we cut the total population by %90. fucked!

damn! just when i started eating fish at least once a week. didn't see my favorite on there though, orange roughy.

about 50% of that fish is in my freezer hah!...i fish to much..i love fish lol

mmm...fried snapper..white rice..vinager and a scotch bonnet pepper...

dinner time!..

Originally posted by FilthyPraxis

Haha, seafood sucks. I don't eat it if it lived in water.

You can't be serious...anyway, more for the rest of us

Yeah look what you guys done did.

Filthy remember the time you guys came over for Heather's birthday shindig thing and we went to that seafood buffet and you were like fuck this and you walked across the street to the hamburger joint. that was gangster.

Originally posted by swif1

how the hell did they catch that? jesus.

i like eating fish too...

[haha...]

MEGALODON

(meaning "Giant Tooth")

There are a few scientists who estimate that it could have been up to 50 or 100 feet.

Megalodon lived from roughly 25 to 1.6 million years ago, during the Miocene and Pliocene epochs. It is now extinct, but the exact time of its extinction is hotly debated.

Originally posted by -Rage-

Megalodon lived from roughly 25 to 1.6 million years ago, during the Miocene and Pliocene epochs. It is now extinct, but the exact time of its extinction is HOTLY debated.

IT WENT EXTINCT 12.33 MILLION YEARS AGO ASSHOLES!!!!!

Originally posted by nomadawhat

IT WENT EXTINCT 12.33 MILLION YEARS AGO ASSHOLES!!!!!

CALM THE FUCK DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok.....

damn, relax rage (haha), i was playing on the fact it was "hotly debated"..... i can just see some old scientist in a hot debate!

Originally posted by dELiSs

I'd tap that ass.

I see you have a thing for creepy scientists.

Yes, and without that lab coat, he could easily be a psycho mountain man in a flannel. <3334243243 hot.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this